Ballycanal Self Catering
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$84
Premier Inn Lisburn Hotel(Lisburn)(Great Value!)
US$110
Newforge House(Magheralin)
Priceline
Seagoe Hotel(Portadown)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe cottagestrain stationwell equipped kitchenlovely accommodationen suite bedroomsperfect locationfamily weddingall mod conshome from homefree wifishort breakmanager marknorthern irelandbelfasthouseproximitycanal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Breakfast skimpy and overcooked.
Room servicing not consistent.
For the money, shampoo and a biscuit is not too much to ask.
All surfaces are sticky- too much chemical cleaner I think.
Not value for money or very satisfactory.
I will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2013
7  Thank Sapper534
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

I booked a cottage for a wedding stay for single occupancy (couple) recently. We got a single occupancy rate. When it turned out a relative had nowhere to stay, we sought to get full occupancy of the cottage. Upon enquiring I was told it would be an additional £50 per night. This brought it to £25 per night over the cost for the cottage per night that I was originally quoted. When I challenged this I was told that the cottage was charged by occupancy, which isn't what I was told upon enquiring about the cottage originally. Only when I said we'd be leaving was I offered the cottage rate instead of occupancy rate.

Nowhere are prices stated on their website. It seems they make it up as they go along.

The cottage was also littered with signs that told you how they wanted the cottage managed to the point that there was a sign telling you not to use larger pots on the front of the hob. Very odd. It was also cheaply furnished which isn't consistent with the rate of £110 per night and I had a dressing table mirror in my bedroom held together with blu tack that I couldn't use for risk of it falling apart.

Annoyingly there is also an electricity deposit for the card and electricity is charged. The setup seems to be done as cheaply as possible to the point that it impacts on the enjoyment of the place. This, coupled with the charging experience, and silly signage, made me wonder if we aren't one big inconvenience rather than guests. We even had to buy bin bags to throw garbage away and we ran out of toilet paper after one night when we'd booked for 4 nights. And one bedroom had not even a bar of soap in the bathroom.

We have stayed all over the UK in self catering apartments and there is usually some form of welcome: a pint of milk, a small bottle of wine, a bit of something. Instead there seemed to be leftover groceries from previous occupants.

The lack of welcome, basic items, and haggling over money made this a sad experience. I was so looking forward to getting away.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank JaxFrost
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed at the Ballycanal Manor on a friend's recommendation. We arrived at the B&B at 5 pm and the place looked deserted! Nobody was there to greet us and a note was left on the door with the keys under the mat. Not your typical B&B where the owners either live in the house or have someone greeting guest arriving at "normal" hours. I totally understand if we arrived before 6 am or after 10pm, but 5pm in the afternoon? We then proceeded to our rooms (2 couples) to change, shower and go out to dinner. The owners then showed up (around 630ish) and were nice enough to guide us to where we had reservation for dinner later that evening. Very nice younger couple with a couple of young kids.

On our return to the B&B (around 11pm) later that evening, we proceeded to the living room, had some drinks and watched a movie. Again, the place was deserted and felt a little creepy. And I say that because as we were enjoying the movie (around midnight), some man banged at the window real hard and totally scared the living hell out of the four of us. I then opened the front door and 5 people that were part of a wedding party walked in telling us that they were staying here and lost their keys!??? They tried to reach the owners (in vain since it was past midnight) and waited in the living room with us. We then felt "intruded" on as they were all real drunk from their evening and proceeded back to our rooms. We could barely get any sleep that night as all of them were just very loud and obnoxious. It is obviously not the owner's fault that they lost their keys and that those people had no manners, but nonetheless, you expect to be able to have a good night of sleep when you pay over $110/night for a B&B.

The next day, after a very good breakfast, the owners were in a hurry to head to church and were rushing us with the payment (around 10am, even though check out was at noon) even though they said; no rush! But it felt like that song; You don't have to go, but you cant stay here...kind of deal! We then paid our dues and left with a very sour taste in our mouth after spending a wonderful time in the south of Ireland, where the hospitality was at a different level!

So in recap, the rooms themselves were nice, the breakfast was very good and the owners were nice, but it just felt like they had no idea on how to run a B&B!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Beautiful location with great views. Lovely, warm welcoming staff who will do anything for you. Lovely accommodation with comfortable beds and lovely seating areas. The perfect place for a family holiday. We will definitely be booking to come back again.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank SL3ACHY
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My new daughter-in -law booked the Ballycanal guest house for the night of her wedding as they were getting married nearby, unfortunately two days before the wedding she received a phone call to say there was a double booking and the room was no longer available, luckily the Seagoe Hotel offered them the bridal suite at the same price Ballycanal were charging. Well done Seagoe, but never the less we feel Ballycanal were not very professional .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple