“Best Resort in Costa Rica”

Chachagua Rainforest Eco Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chachagua
daegu, south korea
“Best Resort in Costa Rica”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon with the insane Living Social deal. We had a private cottage facing the rainforest. The porch had a hammock, couch, chair and bar. It was fantastic. Christian, our guide, took us on a private tour of the rainforest and grounds. When m husband wasn't feeling well, he made some tea for us, then drove us into town to the pharmacy. The food was to die for. Bloody Marys were fresh from the garden. The staff knew I was interested in seeing a sloth, so when there were some in the trees, they came and got me to show me. The insects were minimal, we didn't have any problems with them. Monkeys woke us up and when it rained, (it did everyday), the toucans would hang out on our porch. Insanely great time!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a private cabin. It's totally worth it.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
natguide, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Chachagua Rainforest Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Thank you so much for your review!
More than a resort, Chachagua Rainforest Hotel & Hacienda is your home away home!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Found this secret hide-away through Living Social and went with another couple. We all had such a great time. Peaceful surroundings, great staff, including the on-site naturalist who took us on a night hike. The restaurant staff were charming and did their best at fulling our every need even with a slight language barrier. Rented a 4x4 (thank gosh) from Vamoos (who were also great) and off we went. Beautiful drive from airport. We went Memorial wknd which is part of their rainy season and even though we did experience some HARD rain, it didn't interfere with any plans.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Lovely words!
We hope to see back really soon, to show what we do the best: Smile and provide the best experience ever!
Thank you a lot!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My wife and I visited this hotel with two other couples. We got a little nervous when we first turned off the main road and had to navigate the 2 miles of bumps to get to our hotel. Once we entered the gate the attitude of the group went from hesitance to instant praise for the beauty.

Carol checked us in greeting us with cool towels and fresh fruit drinks. She was so kind and really made us feel like we were entering her home and genuinely concerned that we were comfortable and welcome. Throughout the stay she continued to give us the same level of treatment and even helped us call local businesses to set up reservations for tours.

We spent three nights here and I think all six of us fell in love with the grounds. There are great hikes on the property that take you into a beautiful rain forest setting. They even provide you with free boots to ensure you don't get to muddy.

The food was very good in the restaurant and we especially appreciated the service that Brian provided to us.

I would agree that this is not for the traveler that wants a cold "Chain Hotel" type of experience as it does feel more like a family you are joining. The accommodations are beautiful with wood floors and great wooden furniture, but the bathroom floor is slated to the ground (which we found enjoyable" but might be interesting if you are petrified of bugs.

We have stayed at other much more expensive locations in La Fortuna and this will be the one place we will always come back to!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
natguide, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Chachagua Rainforest Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
You are absolutely right.
We are not a cold chain hotel. We are your home away home!
Every day our staff give their best in order to get you totally happy, because, if you are happy, we are happier!
Thanks for taking a minute of your precious time to review us.
We can't wait to see you again!
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Got a LivingSocial deal to visit Chachagua Hacienda and have been pleased by the entire experience. Grounds are immaculately kept, cute creek runs through the venue, wonderful food. On CR Independence Day, had an amazing meal. Every morning, my husband and I have gone to check on the chickens and hogs. One of the hogs gave birth to piglets while we were here. Have also made friends with the puppies -- we named one of the "bumpy" for his bump on his head.
MUST KNOW: If driving from San Jose, you will travel through the cloud forest. Not sure if this is year round, but at least while we were here the cloud forest gets thick as early as early-mid afternoon. Can be a treacherous drive, even for locals as we saw one flip their car over. Definitely don't recommend driving here at night from SJO. Because our flight is so early we are cutting our stay one night short and moving into Alajuela. Otherwise, great stay.

MUST DO's of the area: Naranjo Coffee Tour, Arenal 1968 hike and Baldi Springs.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sylmontg703
Thank you very much!
We are far enough of noisy towns just to make sure that our guest will get what they come to see here: nature as it's best!
Baltimore
Reviewed 10 September 2012

WOW, a friend of mine told me about the this hotel and boy she was right! Once you find the place (2 miles of very bumpy, back roads) you feel like you reached heaven. It's very lush with tons of flowers and green. You can stay here for a few days and not leave. There are plenty of areas to hike around, goats, ducks, puppies, pigs (which make methane gas that they cook with). You can take a night hike(or day) with the on staff naturalist. We were upgraded to a nicer cabin which was appreciated. Many of the American guests we talked to were very friendly.
Our cabin was nice and spacious. I was worried that we might need ac, but it was fine.
Where else can you take a shower and see tanagers outside your window? The staff overall was fine but felt that they needed someone in the dining room who spoke better English since I have food allergies. You need to get used to the island time for dining. Dinner is served at least 30 min later than posted, so don't show up on time. Also, because we stayed in a slightly slower period, we were served buffets for dinner. Salads were good, desserts not, main courses ok. Early am boxed breakfasts were adequate.

Room Tip: Spend a few more dollars to get a cabin that has a porch and hammock, well worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelerdebBaltimore
Yes, we are HEAVEN.
And you are the angels who make this place so special.
Thank you very much for staying with us!
Abq
Reviewed 9 September 2012

If you want to see the rainforest up close, be surrounded by friendly and knowledgeable people who know the area, have your own delightful cabin, and be centrally located in Costa Rica, this is the place for you. (If you want a Marriott, with a homogenized experience you could get anywhere, go there- but then why go to beautiful Costa Rica?).
You get a great Costa RIcan experience, with all the luxury anyone should ever need. Great food, incredible scenery, great property to wander around. Costa Rica is an outdoors place, and Chachagua Rainforest Hotel let's you enjoy that. The pool fills itself with clear natural water. The grounds tame the Rainforest enough to see what people can do with nature, without destroying it. Yep, the occasional bug will wander by, but any slight inconvenience is more than made up by the immaculate cleanliness the staff provide even in the mud of the rainy season (no air conditioning needed, just turn on the overhead fan over the bed to enjoy a great sleep). If you are picky, and want a classic indoors American experience, you won't get it here- which is what makes the place fabulous. Take day trips, and even overnight trips to other areas of CR- Chachagua is a great "base of operations- and after a few days, feels like coming to one's new Costa Rican home.

Room Tip: Definitely get a bungalow- a great personal experience, having your own place.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UnknAbq
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I really wanted to like Chachagua. I read all of the positive reviews, friended them on facebook and took in all of the beautiful photos, and I was certain I wanted to honeymoon at Chachagua. I am a biology major, so I was expecting to enjoy being in the rainforest, while still having comfortable amenities.

The Cons: My first problems were with the cabin (deluxe bungalow). I paid for this upgrade specifically for the use of the jacuzzi tub. The water smelled horrid (nothing I wanted to take a dip in) and the jets were not working. In addition, the shower temperature was impossible to regulate. I reported this to the front desk. The employees are very friendly, but unfortunately that was not enough for me to enjoy my short stay there. They offered to transfer me to another cabin, but this one would not have television (I was informed that they usually do, this one was just broken and would be available as soon as possible). Another problem that I had with the bungalow was no air conditioning.

The temperature was not comfortable at all in August, even at night. The humidity is sticky and unpleasant. In addition, there was an infestation of ants and spiders due to the space between the floorboards in the bathroom. Despite the use of bug repellent, we received many bites. I had a package booked with Chachagua to do all of the sightseeing tours (my main purpose for coming to Costa Rica), so at this point I was still hesitant to terminate my stay.

I thought that I would give the bar and dinner a try, since the pool was in the process of filling up. Yet another "amenity" that I could not enjoy. The bar was out of half of the drinks on the menu, and the drinks my husband and I ordered were not fit for consumption. The bartender was not wearing gloves and scooped the ice out with his hands. Dinner did not start until the cooks were done (which was an hour later than the posted time). After a 4 hour flight and 3 hour drive from the airport I was very hungry, so this was another disappointment for me. No other stores or restaurants are nearby Chachagua so you are at the mercy of their dining options. The dining is all open air (the seating is nice and romantic, but expect to be bothered by bugs). We were given two choices for the dinner included with our package: watery spaghetti or chicken and rice. The chicken and rice was not bad, but we found it difficult to eat with all of the bugs swarming the food which sits out in the open on the buffet line. My husband and I took a few bites, but bugs were swimming in our food, and we had to leave most of our dinner on the plate. At this point I decided to find other accommodations.

I approached the manager and let him know the situation. He was very friendly and apologetic, but explained the tours had already been booked so I could not terminate my stay with any sort of refund, and since it was already so late, I had no choice but to stay that night. Some of the tours were able to be canceled, another was not, but Chachagua arranged for me to take that tour the next morning at 7am. Breakfast was supposed to still be included (to go). I had to remind the staff and walk out to the kitchen to get my breakfast (fresh fruit). The fruit was tasty, but it was not a filling option for a day hike and hotsprings trip (which I did thoroughly enjoy). When I returned, I had transportation booked for a 3 hour drive back to the San Jose Marriott where I finished off my honeymoon stay very pleasantly.

I wound up paying for the one night stay in the deluxe bungalow (despite that I did not even get to use the jacuzzi), two dinner buffets (which I did not eat more than a few bites from one plate), and the tour. This was an expensive mistake and a headache of a start to my honeymoon.

The Pros: Chachagua is a beautiful setting. The creek running through the property is beautiful, the plants and flowers are beautiful, and it was great to take in the scenery. I got to see plenty of birds and lizards, and the place is amazing for taking photographs. The fresh fruit tastes much better than here in the States. The tour they set up went wonderfully-- I definitely recommend the Arenal Volcano and Hot Springs tour. Also, the staff was very nice and helpful.

Overall: I would recommend Chachagua to someone who expects an element of roughing it or if you are looking for an adventure trip, but not if you are looking for upgraded amenities for a honeymoon. The Marriott offered us a great deal to finish out our stay there, including a dining and massage package that kept me from going over my original budget for the trip. I was able to book additional tours through them, so I did at least enjoy the remainder of my honeymoon. I accept partial responsibility for the bad experience (not asking about cancellation policies in advance if I was unhappy with my stay, not asking about air conditioning in the deluxe bungalow, etc), but I wanted to post my experience to just let others know what they are getting into, because I was personally surprised at all of the positive reviews for Chachagua written without reservation.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kmbrookshire
natguide, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Chachagua Rainforest Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you very much for taking your time to review us.
Chachagua Rainforest Hotel is a serious and respectable company, and it's truly important for us to know and care what our costumers think about the place.
In your case, we offered you all the options available, and they were given to you by our Manager, who explained the Hotel's cancellations policies, and, you were not charged for the whole stay, even when you decided to cancel it at the last moment, when you were already here.
We gave our best in order to satisfy you, but unffortunately, we couldn't get your expectations, since, this is not a city hotel, like the one you have mentioned, and, we are in the middle of the jungle...that's why our name: Chachagua Rainforest Hotel & Hacienda.
That means, our accomodations are designed to fit people who really want to get an experience in the Rain Forest, and, some bugs, lots of different animal noices, rain, some humidity and sun are part of it.
Every year, hundreds of people from all over the world enjoy the meals at our open-air restaurant, where you can listen and see the birds, or Sloths and even monkeys hanging around once in a while.
Hundreds of satisfied costumers go back home so happy, since they made their dream come true, that is, to be part of an authentic Tropical Forest.
We hope to have you here some day, to show you the best of us!
Again, thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chachagua
Heliconias Nature Lodge
#10 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
#4 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Chachagua Rainforest Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!