“Lovely property, shame about the attitude of the owner”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trezzo Tinella
Cascina Bricchetto Langhe
Chicago, Illinois
“Lovely property, shame about the attitude of the owner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The property is without doubt in excellent condition, extremely nicely done out with wonderful views. However, I wouldn't want to take young children there in fear of any damage as it didn't look that forgiving - and there wouldn't be anything to do for them. The vineyard views were lovely, and if you are looking for a remote experience, you certainly get that. The flip side of this is that you have to go out and travel for a reasonable time to reach anything. The local towns are not anything to write home about, and you have to travel further afield to reach anywhere really nice. Sadly the peace of the location was often shattered by the noisy dogs that the owner keeps, who seem to bark for extended periods and often during the night because they 'have heard a deer'. You are also cheek by jowl (ajoined) with neighbours, so somewhat reliant on luck on the noise front.

Some of what you might describe as nit picking above is driven by the negative feelings you get once you interact with the owner on anything outside of her sense of what is right. I therefore recognise exactly the behaviour which the other 'poor' reviewer has described. The first thing which annoyed us was the lack of transparency about additional costs. You are invited to use the wifi, and get bread and vegetables delivered to your door, with lots of charm about where they come from etc. However, at the end of your stay you are handsomely charged for these - but there is no mention of this at the time, and they are not presented in any way as a charged for service. We have stayed in a huge variety of holiday homes where there is often a gift of food and/or wine as part of the stay - but we have never been charged for this at the end of the stay. The other rip off was the cleaning charge. This was a compulsory charge of nearly 100 euros, so why is it not included in the price? If there is an option to clean the property yourself as is often the case, then I understand it is listed as a separate charge - but in this case it is not. I can only guess it is a ruse to keep the price looking better, so make sure you factor this in.

Finally, but perhaps most telling is if you challenge anything about your stay. This is when the owner transforms into a rude and offensive individual, who will think nothing of being pretty insulting, particularly by email once you have left. A piece of electrical equipment stopped working during our stay, and we were accused of all sorts of things, often based on nationality stereotypes. There seemed to be a complete lack of comprehension that holiday accommodation is going to have wear and tear, and on occasion things will need to be replaced or repaired. She was incredibly rude and had we not been firmer, she would have extracted hundreds of euros out of us for a repair which seemed suspiciously expensive. Understandably this part of our stay left us feeling with a bitter taste and ruined the overall experience which should have been much better. I don’t doubt all of this will be fiercely denied, but I hope it is taken on board by the owner who considers the dishonesty of these hidden/extra charges and also reflects on her behaviour to customers

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IndepedentTraveller
JoyLanghe_Piedmont, Proprietario at Cascina Bricchetto Langhe, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
In July 2013non there was no guests coming from Chicago and even in the month of June or in August or in September, not even guests coming from Illinois throughout the year.
The cost of final cleaning, when required shall be specified since the first proposal sent, so it is not a surprise at the end, it is also clearly written both in our website and in the various ads (see for example the announcement Flipkey.com and Holidayslettings . co.uk under notes under Tables seasonality and prices)
Guests on arrival are both fruit wine is offered as a welcome, if you later need bread or vegetables or else it is obvious that it should be paid.
The use of the Internet must be requested by the tenant for us to activate the connection, the cost is included in the rental price.
I ask who wrote this evaluation as to reconcile his vote on Sleep Quality with what he writes about the barking of dogs.
In relation to children's games refer to the reviews of those who stayed with the children.
The location of the house is clearly visible in the aerial photo is also present in this site.
Finally inform you that the common wall with the house next door are soundproof, is not it a little strange that this gentleman writes about something that has not experienced, and that is the presence of other guests in the house next door?
I'm sorry that she has failed to find it here but to consider and think about what he writes should write the truth.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Cascina Bricchetto is a lovely house on a hill top in a beautiful, rural part of Italy. The house overlooks vineyards and the views are magnificent. On a clear day you can see the Alps in the distance. The spacious house is practically brand new with hard wood floors, modern appliances, a fireplace, comfortable furniture and good lighting for reading. The location is ideal for those who want easy access to attractions in the area, particularly wine-- related attractions, such as various wine museums and the towns of Barolo and Barbaresco, but who don't want to stay in a city. There are numerous excellent restaurants with well priced local wines within a short drive from the Cascina. The charming, gracious proprietor Giovanna is very helpful in providing advice about places to visit and is very knowledgeable about restaurants in the area and is always available to make reservations at restaurants and wineries.

It would be difficult to overstate the unspoiled beauty of this part of Italy and amazingly there were few tourists in the area which made our visit that much more enjoyable. (We were there at the end of April.) In contrast, other places we visited, such as Lucca in Tuscany and Bellagio on Lake Como, while very charming were already packed with tourists.

One caveat: The splendid isolation of and spectacular views from the Cascina Bricchetto don't just magically appear; you have to get up there which involves navigating a fairly steep, narrow, winding road to the top of the hill. The drive was a bit daunting at first but we quickly got used to it and in a week's stay there we never encountered another car on that road.

Very highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
JoyLanghe_Piedmont, Owner at Cascina Bricchetto Langhe, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear guests ... in the past,

by reordering our page on TripAdvisor I re-read what you wrote about your stay at Cascina Bricchetto Langhe. Thank you very much, I was very pleased.
I take this opportunity to send you some information about the changes introduced recently:
a. renovation of the "Portico" in which there are also two covered terraces, one overlooking the south and the other facing east, are furnished with tables - chairs - armchairs ... are perfect for dining, reading and enjoying playing a splendid panorama and perhaps "keep an eye" while the kids are in the playground there before;
b. new website cascinabricchetto (I'd really like to know your opinion), please write to me?
c. facebook page Agriturismo Cascina Bricchetto to be updated on what is happening here with us;
d. UNESCO has entered, our territory in the "World Heritage", celebrating the award that includes the Langhe-Roero Monferrato-offering special activities to be undertaken during the stay in three different areas, soon presentation on our website,

e. we are organizing new activities alongside the usual (wines tasting, cooking classes, excursions) you naturalistic and artistic presentation soon on our website.

I hope that you will return to experience our hospitality in person and maybe whatever else you want to do / see in our beautiful Langhe.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

We were two couples and spent five nights in the Ca Dra Topia at the end of May. The description of the property was accurate, the photos don't do the apartment and the scenery justice (it's even better), and it was spotless.

The apartment itself was spacious, very comfortable and well appointed. It was a fine place to relax in the morning and before and after dinner. The panoramic views of the Alps and countryside were stunning.

Giovanna was a wonderful hostess. She had suggestions for dinners and made reservations for us - she knew almost all the restaurants within a reasonable drive. We were looking for places serving local fare with good wine lists, and we were quite pleased with her choices. She also set up tastings for us at a winery in Barolo and one in Barbaresco, and based on our experiences there, I wouldn't hesitate to have her set one up for every day.

Her recommendations for scenic towns and castles were also spot on. One thing about the Langhe region is that often there are not a lot of east-west roads, so to get from one place to another requires traveling north or south a ways, through beautiful countryside, darn - bring your cameras! We came upon some of the most beautiful views when we got temporarily lost.

The home is a great place to get away and let the everyday stresses slip away. I highly recommend it, would stay there again, and hope to return.

John Minock
Ann Arbor, Michigan

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Four of us (two couples) stayed in Ca der Forn for 5 nights in early May 2013 and we loved every moment of it! Ms. Oliveri was an amazing hostess for many reasons. My first contact with her was via email when I requested the dates we wanted to stay at her Cascina. A guest was leaving the day we were arriving and she was able to accommodate us quickly into the spotlessly clean and welcoming house. Two bottles of local wine sat in the kitchen to greet us and we were not disappointed, they were both outstanding! I had asked Ms. Oliveri about a local festival that I wanted to attend but the date of it had already passed but she was quick to recommend two other local festivals. She was an extremely helpful source of information and always there to respond to anything we needed. We cooked dinner a few nights in the house and the kitchen has everything you would ever need to prepare anything you would want. The views from this property are literally breath-taking. I woke up one morning to the site of the majestic Alps in the distance and quickly took pictures like an excited child. Each evening at sunset, we sat on our private outside balcony sipping wine and thought how lucky we were to have found this serene spot in Piemonte. We spent our entire last day on the property and were so glad we did as this gave us the chance to truly soak in all the comforts of this home away from home. We would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

We spent a beautiful week in this gorgeous house in April 2013. We are a Swiss family with two kids (3 & 6 years) travelling together with the grandparents. The generosity and the warm welcome of the owner was overwhelming. Giovanna is the perfect host who knows good restaurants, wines, places to go. The House was very clean, spacious and very well appointed – you will find everything you need (towels, blankets, kitchen fitting) – this makes your stay perfect from the first minute on. Upon request she has also shared her homemade products with us – just perfect. The house lies on the top of a hill in the middle of vineyards. The view over the hills of the Piedmont towards the Alps is breath-taking. Located near the beautiful city Alba other famous cities are in the vicinity (Asti, Barolo, …). We would warmly recommend this house to all who would like to spend unforgettable moments in the middle of the piemonte in in quiet and beautiful environment. Children are felt very welcome. We will be back

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

The evening the four of us arrived at Giovanna`s place, I cut my hand between thumb and second finger when the handle of my heavy suitcase snapped. Giovanna immediately took her car and drove me (with my wife) at the Alba`s Hospital, where I was taken care of at the ER and got a few stitches. On the same trip, she accompanied us to get pastry at some special shop in Neive, to celebrate Lynda`s birthday. That describes the relationship that Giovanna has with her customers.

While talking, Giovanna expressed her frustration about a review some of her guests had just posted on Trip Advisor. Upon reading it, I felt truly in awe at the utter sanctimoniousness of what was written and promised myself to reply, with few notes, to the only negative review (upon 31 positive) Giovanna had got. Though, on second thought, these frequent visitors of Italy would not deserve much of a comment. Apparently, the old man in the company (God bless him) was peeing while standing, lost his balance and had to put his hand, greasy for some ointment or cream, on the wall, leaving a mark. As the fellow says, the wall was not treated with waterproof paint, but that`s not a cause for shocked astonishment. In Italy, walls of old houses are thick and it`s sensible to use paints that let them breathe and transpire, not to mention the obnoxious chemicals contained in those paints. And, it is certainly not a reason to organize such a retaliation and create a spurious drama out of simple things of life.

Giovanna has replied to all the points already, but let me add that anyone who visits Italy and doesn`t want to just stay on the main tourist track of Rome, Florence and Venice while traveling in autostrade, has to deal with tortuous and narrow roads that sometimes are terrifying, like in Liguria or Sicily. The geography of Italy (as big as Colorado but with 55 millions people living there against 5 millions) is complex, with mountains, hills, lakes, rivers and what else, with the most beautiful locations still built around a medioeval center. The charming Langhe territory has its share of narrow, winding roads, but then the dirt road that goes to Cascina Brichetto is just a pretty normal, fine road that one can drive even in the middle of the night without concern (unless if affected by some nerve problem), since all cars are provided with lights. Hairpin bends? Living on the edge? What a drama queen story.

Well, we had a fine and fun time at Cascina Brichetto. The house is great, but the surroundings are even better. The view is spectacular, if you walk up (for just a minute) to the small hill top on the side of the house, you`ll be among fruit trees newly planted, in complete silence and the unique landscape of Langhe displayed under your eyes. And, by the way, I sat once just out of the parking place, to read a book and take some sun...it is not `dingy` at all, it`s just nature...unless you are disturbed if the wind blows a few leaves on you....you know, some people have a panic dread of nature....they would scrub it clean, cover it up with tiles, coat it up with waterproof paint and wrap the whole thing in self-righteousness...It was nice, instead, to come back in late afternoon or in the evening and be in such a good natural place to stay....you could see and feel that the place was renewed and put together again with passion and hard work, making a top notch job while preserving the sense and feel of an old cascina...

Anyway, that how it was for us...Langhe is a really unique place, because of the territory and, of course, for food and wine. Our best experience for food was at `Il Camino` in Bossolasco, which is in Alta Langa, about half an hour drive from Trezzo Tinella. We visited a few wineries, but we loved Roagna, in Barbaresco.

Our best to whoever will stay at Cascina Brichetto and to whoever will visit Italy. If you are a traveler and not a tourist, you`ll need the right attitude to enjoy this unique country. And, please, do not bother is you have to drive a few minutes away in order to keep our beautiful country clean.

Enzo

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank EnZhu
JoyLanghe_Piedmont, Proprietario at Cascina Bricchetto Langhe, responded to this review, 9 July 2014

c. facebook page to be updated on what is happening here with us;
d. UNESCO has entered our territory in the "World Heritage".

I hope that you will return to experience our hospitality in person and maybe even a Cooking class, a new wine tasting tour ... and whatever else you want to do / see in our beautiful Langhe.

Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

Yes, Cascina Bricchetto is in a remote location, but we were aware of this before booking. We found the remoteness of the location to be no big deal and, in fact, found the panaramic views from the property to be amazing. Our apartment, La Torre, was spotless and left nothing to be desired. We were welcomed with a bottle of wine and a bowl of grapes fresh from the vineyard upon our arrival. The four of us are wine "aficionados" and so had asked Giovanna to set us up with some wine tastings in the area. Her selection of wineries and the appointments she made were amazing. We sat with vintners and their families tasting the fruits of their labor and enjoyed their company, as well. Our only suggestion to Giovanna would be to have better maps and directions to places in the surrounding areas. As newcomers to Piedmont, it was a little bit challenging getting around. Other than that, our only regret was not being able to extend our stay beyond our 3 day reservation. There is so much to do and see in the Piedmont area, especially if you are into wines as we are. Even an entire week would not have been enough.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

c. facebook page to be updated on what is happening here with us;
d. UNESCO has entered our territory in the "World Heritage".

Also consider these accommodations in or near Trezzo Tinella
#3 of 3 in Trezzo Tinella
Casa Branzele
Casa Branzele
#1 of 3 in Trezzo Tinella

Been to Cascina Bricchetto Langhe? Share your experiences!