“Review for Birnam inn (not hotel)”
Review of Birnam Hotel

Birnam Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Birnam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Visited here by chance, and have to say, what a lovely surprise. The food was plentiful, tasty and inexpensive. Service was friendly and attentive. The ambience was bright modern and very clean. We will definitely return.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Basilbig
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you for you kind review. We are pleased that you found you recent visit to the Birnam Inn a pleasant one and hope that it wont be long before yu are able to return.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

My wife and I stayed overnight on our way further north. Our room (104) was shabby and in need of refurbishment. The bathroom showed signs of amateurish diy. The light fitting was dirty and only had 2 working bulbs. The light fitting in the windowless corridor outside was at one third power. We had to ask at reception for a toilet roll.
Although the info in the room detailed restaurant times, the restaurant no longer opens for dinner. You have a choice of eating in the bar or the Inn next door. We ate in the bar and it wasn't bad at all.
Unlike other reviewers we found the staff the best part of the hotel. Although understaffed the staff we met couldn't do enough for us.
Without investment business will decline, without business who can invest?

Room Tip: I wouldn't know.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

On a work trip. After watching me struggle with my 4 bags the receptionist made no offer to help me to the lift let alone my room (on the top floor and at the end of the corridor). He seemed pleased to inform me that I was the last person to check in. "Oh dear" I thought, "does that mean I have the last room?". Turns out I was right! it was clean and comfortable enough but there was a distinct lingering smell of aged cigarette smoke, and the bathroom was a bit shabby. Hotel staff seemed more interested in the large coach party who all arrived for breakfast 5 minutes after me (are any of them likely to return I wonder?). Food and service in the Birnam Inn (part of the hotel) was good, and reasonably priced. Not sure I would recommend for a business trip or family holiday although the coach party all seemed to be enjoying themselves.

• Stayed: May 2013
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Birnam Hotel. Fistly may I appologise that someone did not offer any assistance with your luggage, we do not have a porter but are usually very willing to assist anyone who wishes assistance. Being the last to check-in does not mean that you are allocated the last room in the hotel. I can only apologise if if felt there was a lingering smell of smoke as there a clear notices throughout the hotel advising guest that we operate a no smoking policy within the entire hotel. With reagrds the coach tour it would suprprise you as to how many persons actually return to us after have been on a coach tour this I would imagine is due to our excellent transport links.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Was at a wedding here on 25/5/2013 have to said have to be the worse service I have ever come across 1st we were told we had a wedding deal but they were charging all my family diff prices and when I ask their attitude
change toward me ,
Only had one staff in the bar Being residents we were looking forward to having a drink after the reception in the residents bar, the hotel decided to close the bar early.
We spoke with the duty manager about this he was rood to down right disgusting to us, Nothing about this hotel could be called friendy if anything nasty.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, however I would like to correct a couple of pouints raised. Guests who mentioned that they were attending wedding and booked directly with the hotel were all charged the same rate. Those who booked by an agency or who booked with the hotel but did not mention that they were with the wedding may well have been charged another rate. With regards the staffing there were two memebers of staff withing the fuction room bar at all times. With regards the issue with drinking aftrer official licencing hour this is sole at the discrection of the manager on duty at that time. Having spoken the the duty manager and to the groom it would apear that due to the foul and abusive language aimed at the staff the groom advised the duty manager to close the bar this was at 1.30am. While I full acept that members of staff should not be rude and abusive to customer this also applies to guests.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

we were here on a 5pm deal which included a high tea, we arrived around 2pm and we were informed by the manager we had to have our high tea by 3pm which i thought was a wee bit naughty as it hadn't stipulated that in the information, however, the tea was plentiful, with sandwiches and cakes, that hit the spot.
Our room on the ground floor was nice and we love the that this is an old hotel (why oh why do you people moan about an out of date hotel, stay in a travelodge next time).
We went for dinner and i had the best steak pie i have ever had, we had 2 courses ,2 ciders and a bottle of wine for £55, good value.
My only wee moans are, the window in our room did not lock and the window in the bathroom did not open.
The staff are very friendly and chatty although i get the feeling they dont like living in a village, they dont know how lucky they really are.
There are a few nice walks near by specially they one along the river tay behind the hotel.
Great stay guys and we will be back soon

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review on your recent stay at the Birnam Hotel. We do look forward to being able to welcome you back sometime soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Have passed Birnam Hotel many times, stopped for lunch etc a couple of times, always fancied an overnight stay. Big disappointment. Bedroom generally ok although there was no way the tiny TV could be viewed from bed, but bathroom shocking-old is ok but dirty is not. Floor coverings didn't meet showing floorboards, broken floor tiles, dirty around basin taps, looked grotty under basin, around skirtings.
Older female ?waitress who said she normally works in adjoining bar heard to moan constantly about the weather (which was fine) to other guests, "it rains 52 weeks a year", also put pile of clean cutlery directly on seat of dining room chair.Glad we'd finished our breakfast before seeing that.
Staff & foodin bar next door much better, had nice evening meal there.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the modernised rooms they say they have. Check if lamps etc work before you need the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thyank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am dissapointed that you found your stay to be below par. I do wish you have raised these issues at the time in order that this could be seen and rectified promptly for you

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Stayed here for a weekend and can honestly say it was horrendous. Rooms are old and outdated, cold and very impersonal. Food was actually the only positive, the staff were anywhere from rood to down right disgusting. It almost felt like the were doing community service.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MysteryGuest85

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review although we are a bit surprised that it has taken 6 months for you to let us and the rest of the world know. I am pleassed however that you found the food up to standard.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birnam
Dunkeld House Hotel
0 mi away
Tayburn House
Tayburn House
#2 of 5 in Birnam

Been to Birnam Hotel? Share your experiences!