“Harbour my soul once again”
Review of Rathlin Island

Rathlin Island
Book In Advance
More Info
US$10.89*
and up
Rathlin Island Walking Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Between Ballycastle and the Mull of Kintyre in Scotland, Raithlin Island is eight miles long and barely one mile wide.
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is our third visit to the beautiful Rathlin Island and I just fall in love with it more and more each time. The peace and tranquility has to be experienced to be believed. The moment you step off the ferry you leave all the hustle and bustle of everyday life behind you and Rathlin wraps you in its own unique magic and charm. Despite the fact that it was raining when we were there, the beauty of the place was not diminished. The scenery is breathtaking and you automatically relax. We had no television, no mobiles, no distractions and, we didn't miss them! Go and visit this hidden gem.

4  Thank Martina C

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stay clear of the puffin bus !! My day trip to rathlin ireland was ruined my a bus driver by the name of Bert who was joke , before I got on the bus with him I asked him would he stop for iime to take photos , he stops once for 10 mins was in a hurry back to pick up his other bus load ; I was promised that I would see puffins , seals , lighthouses --nope I did not Bert did take me almost to a light and told me he could not drive the bus near it because of rain the night before I asked him how far for me to walk bert said 5 mile , I found out later I was 1 mile from lighthouse ,

7  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We just spent a few hours on the island during our visit to the Antrim Coast. The weather behaved and we had a lovely crossing on the slow ferry. Just as we arrived on Rathlin the skies opened and we saw the Puffin bus so it seemed a good idea to climb onboard and see the sights from it rather than walk around in the rain. There was a lovely lady driver and a very friendly crowd on the bus so it proved a lovely way to see the island as she drove us from one end to the other stopping at the bird sanctuary for about 20 minutes to see the puffins and other sea birds.By this time the sun had appeared and the view back to the Antrim coast and over to the Scottish coast was breathtaking. For 5 pounds the trip was great we all felt as we got to see several interesting places on the way. Then it was back to the bar - McCuigs? - for tea and scones which I really enjoyed. Very relaxed place with plenty of outdoor seating. We spent the rest of the time until the fast ferry back relaxing on the seafront and another lovely trip on the sea to Ballycastle. It was a lovely day out on Rathlin.

5  Thank limericklady
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Recently our walking group, five ladies, all retired, took the fast boat to Rathlin.
As arranged, we were met by Alan and taken off to our first treat of the day, Hilary's excellent scones, and coffee.
We were then taken off to the Rue Lighthouse in Alan's jeep, or on foot and all spent some time watching the seals there and listening to them sing!
On the way back we met Alan again at Ushet Lough.
He set our posh picnic table with beautiful linen table cloth and napkins, proper cutlery and glasses,
opened the wine and proceeded to serve us with platters of the freshest possible mackerel, followed by Glenarm salmon accompanied by a beautiful creamy potato bake and lots of delicious salads.
Passers-by looked on enviously as we enjoyed our gourmet meal in the glorious sunshine!
Later he returned to clear away and bring the less fit back to the harbour.
And finally back there we polished off Hilary's beautiful panacotta with raspberries.
It was a perfect Rathlin day and we finally staggered onto the boat, vowing not to eat again for a week!

4  Thank jojojo5
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Why go to a remote island and expect all the amenities of the overdeveloped mainland? The people who live there probably hate the commercial exploitation and feel complete hypocrits - only doing it to have a little more in their pockets to live on. Why should they bloody like you and serve on you hand and foot. Recognise what a pain in the r's you are and start by apologising for your presence. Don't complain - you can stay at home if it doesn't suit you. I can understand exactly where they are coming from - Guernsey was once a real place and not the 'Disneyworld' it now is. Please don't say you are helping them by being there as you aren't -you are just leading them into another new form of commercial slavery. Their obvious disgruntlement is probably the only chance that these last few remaining spots and their folk have of not becoming just one more Corporate machine's slave group...

10  Thank thebrightonian