The Black Range Lodge
Rio Grande Motel(Williamsburg)
US$61
Charles Motel and Hot Springs Spa(Truth or Consequences)(Great Value!)
US$56
Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa(Truth or Consequences)
US$174
Rocket Inn(Truth or Consequences)
US$84
Desert View Inn(Truth or Consequences)(Great Value!)
US$55
Ace Lodge(Truth or Consequences)
US$48
US$103
US$98
US$59
US$56
US$82
US$72
ComfortInn
Motel 6 Truth or Consequences(Truth or Consequences)
US$51
US$49
All reviewshomemade breadhot tubghost townenjoy naturedvd playerevery morningsmall townb and bcatherinehillsborohostsaccommodationsnmyardcozymassagewoods
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I have to say that my two-night stay at the Black Range Lodge was one of the most restful and rewarding stays I have ever had while on vacation. We were very warmly greeted by Katherine at check-in, and made to feel like part of the family. We stayed in the main lodge, which provides basic but very comfortable accomodations. Recommend that travelers check out the straw bale house for longer stays-very nicely furnished and offers a lot of privacy. Breakfast included everything but the kitchen sink (all homemade)! We lucked out with a personal tour of Percha Bank (next door to the lodge) and learned of the town's storied past, as a once-booming silver mining town. Katherine, Tom, and Bonnie made our stay a very welcome one. The highlight was a surprise birthday celebration for Tom at breakfast-chocolate cake and all!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NH_Izzie
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed this weekend for two nights and were treated royally. The lodging was pleasant (Percha House) and the Lodge itself was great and very interesting historically. The breakfast was terrific and the staff (Tom and Bonnie) were very friendly and enjoyable. I even had a great massage by the resident massage therapist (Gary). Thanks folks for the great time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chrishay152
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My friend and I stayed there some months past. I absolutely loved the place and the people. The staff treated us as family, not strangers passing through. The lodge itself is quite lovely. Old, historic and well kept. Breakfasts were wonderful and we were never made to feel out of place or unwelcome. Quite the opposite. Our room was fantastic with each of us having a private connected bedroom. I certainly hope to stay there again soon.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathleen W
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The whole is memorably greater than the sum of its parts at this unique stop so genuinely off the main tourist routes. Isolated on the edge of lore-laden mountains and hosted by a threesome as singularly congenial as the views, historic Black Range Lodge provided us with not just a bed and a breakfast, but an experience. Our night there was the absolute highlight of a trip consisting of many highlights. Black Range Lodge is not just a ghost-town way station for tourists but an introduction to a way of life. We'll be back soon, if not in our jeans, than in our dreams. Thanks, TripAdvisor, for leading us to turn off the highway into Kingston for a night.

Room Tip: We chose upstairs Room #6 with a glimpse of the mountains, gardens, an earth-bale root cellar and other hand-built structures on view in the "courtyard" below.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David R
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The visit started out friendly enough. We were given a tour of the Percha house. That night during our dinner, the owners just walked in, helped themselves to our food, set on the couch, turned the volume up on the tv and ate. Family trying to get baby to sleep downstairs, and the owner barges in turns on all the lights says "sorry, I need to check the water heater". Breakfast was a joke! The cook prepared 2 pancakes at a time, enough eggs for a couple of people at a time, the coffee pots were always empty, the rest was just standard continental breakfast. We were quoted one price, then come check out time, and it had increased significantly. Her reply to the increase was we had to pay for breakfast, and our children. She was fully aware of the number of children when reservations were made. We had the basement room, which was okay. Our children slept on twin beds in the common room. The bathroom was part of the laundry room with a toilet, plastic laundry basin, and the smallest shower we have ever seen in our lives! At check out she left with our credit card for twenty minutes out of sight!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank djcullough
blackrange, Owner at The Black Range Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Every day I learn something, and in the case of this guest, I clearly didn't communicate properly. I believe the most serious concern was a misunderstanding about the costs involved, which I discovered only as people were checking out.

There was a wedding that weekend, and the groom's family shared the Percha Creek House, a separate 6-bedroom home across the street from the Lodge. They divided the total cost of $350 per night (incl breakfast) between several families. When they all checked out at once, it took me a bit of time to divide the charges and process the payments. The cost was exactly as per our website, but perhaps this guest thought that the per night cost I quoted her for her family of five ($125, plus tax) was the cost for the entire weekend.

It was disheartening to read of her dissatisfaction on Trip Advisor, rather than have the opportunity to address it at the time. I did respond to her concerns after reading this review, but she did not reply to my email.

The weekend for me was a joyful occasion, with a lovely bride and groom, a beautiful day and an outdoor wedding (in February!). Friday night the groom's family hosted the rehearsal dinner at the Percha Creek House, a buffet, to which the bride and groom invited us. When we arrived at the party, it was rather lively, with lots of young children playing, and adults enjoying themselves. The TV was on, but we didn't turn it up. While we were there, we asked to check to make sure the new hot water heater was functioning properly (it was), and were unaware if we disturbed a sleeping child. We stayed about an hour, chatting with the wedding families, and the groom's party was still going on when we left.

Our breakfast goes from 8 - 10am, and usually functions well, even with a group, as there is a buffet with cereal, fresh home-made bread, juice, yoghurt, fresh fruit, etc., that guests can help themselves to, while my breakfast cook makes french toast and eggs to order. Usually people are in conversation at the table and appreciate their food served hot. However, I should have brought in extra help for that morning, since we had such a full house. Another lesson learned.

I do want to acknowledge the families at the Percha Creek House for doing a good job of cleaning up after the party. And best wishes to the bride and groom, Kasey and Bryan, for a happy life together.