Bijou des Caraibes
US$183
US$188
Priceline
  • Pool
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort(Lowlands)(Great Value!)
US$329
US$135
US$132
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Blue Haven Hotel(Bacolet Bay)
US$144
Hotels.com
Acajou Hotel(Grande Riviere)
US$155
Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel(Grande Riviere)
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I made a booking at Bijou des Caribes because it was located quite near to the hotel my friends were staying at. I sent the downpayment to Judith Gemmet. I found her quite pleasant during the entire transaction and was quite happy with the arrangements.

I then called her one day to find out whether there were any additional apartments available - to my surprise she causally informed me that she had cancelled my booking because she had received a booking for a longer period for the apartment I had booked and she would be refunding my money.

I tried to reason with her that I had booked with her because of the location and did not want to cancel but she became very agitated and informed me roughy that she could honour her word. I could not help but wonder when/if she would have bothered to call me to inform me of the cancellation.

I managed to get another place in the same area, I must say that when I passed by Bijou des Caribes it was quite sub standard looking compared with other places in the area for the same price. I guess it was a good thing that she cancelled.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank DrD777
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at Bijou for 2 nights in May and have added it to our list of places to visit again when in Tobago.

Situated on a hill in the Mount Irvine area, Bijou is a homey guest house that serves as an excellent base for exploring Tobago. There is a relaxing view of the sea and treetops and some welcome silence - ideal for a getaway.

We stayed as a family in the 2 bedroom flat (complete with view of the clean and inviting pool) and found all that we needed - including a cot and a high chair for our baby. The entire place was clean and cosy with additional cleaning daily. There is clothes line space in the garage area and a table and chairs outside for hanging out.

As far as self-catering guest houses go, one's needs are met and if there was something you didn't find, you could simply ask the manager, Ms Gemmet (she became Judy to us), a very friendly woman who truly understands what service means.

On our last morning there she even lent us beach towels so we wouldn't have to travel with wet things.

The only hitch, as I told Judy is that one must have a car to stay at the property. However, most people do rent a vehicle for at least a couple days when exploring Tobago so that's minor.

Hats off to Bijou des Caraibes!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sam_Adventure
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed at " Bijou" for 4 night.
The FIRST thing to know about this place is that you're 10mins car drive-far away from the nearest beach and retaurant; so a rented car is necessary if you want to stay at Bijou.

The place is very nice, on the top of Mount Irvine Hill, and you can see the amazing Tobago sunset in the garden near the pool.
Judith, the manager, is very very helpfull, friendly, make for us many big services (for an example: she provided to rent a car for us at our landing...) and she gave us maps and adresses to enjoy the island.

Our room was the Studio 2, a ground floor old style room with a king size bed and a little kitchen. Outside there was a table with chairs in the garden. The room and the bathroom were cleaned all days and were confortables.

If you want to discover Tobago (by car), Bijou des Caraibes is the best place in the best location.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fretheelf
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed in the 2 bdrm & 1 of the studios. Only the 2 bdrm had a view (ground floor)to the front/pool. The studio was at the back. The rooms at the center upstairs in the photos that you see on Facebook are really where the owners live.

The yard & pool are quite nice - no pool hours. The dog is big and old, rather cute and hardly seen. The apartments are small, not-modern and basic but manageable with a go-with-the-flow attitude. Bedrooms have a good strong AC. Rooms could use a meticulous cleaning but are not filthy or so. I took some Clorox wipes to the surfaces & scrubbed some pans. The studio is tiny & honestly @ $350 a night you can get nicer studios. The 2 bdrm @ $600 a night is a good price but the 2nd brdm in the 2 bdrm is tiny.

Little things that require a roll-with-it attitude: bedroom/bathroom doors don't lock. Cable come and goes (may not be the owners fault). No AC in the living room. Kitchen small. Nowhere to hang wet clothes.Hot water takes a while sometimes. One key for the 4 of us to share. Parking is somewhat tight.

However Judy is indeed a pleasant & willing person. Makes herself very accessible.

Room Tip: Not sure if upstairs rooms are available at all - ask her. The 2 bdrm has bedrom facing the front. I think the 2 studios face the back.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Our family, which consists of 4 teenagers, my husband and me, of course, stayed at Bijou from August 27th to 30th, 2011. We had the 2 bedroom apartment. It was really a great experience. If you are looking for peace, serenity and tranquility, this is the right place. The apartment was clean and the staff , both Ingrid and Melissa were extremenly helpful.
My kids especially liked the pool area, they were in there every chance they got, as we had the pool to ourselves!!!!

We can recommed Bijou des Caraibes to anyone.................. you will not be disappointed. We will be revisiting in the future
Our only regret is that we were not able to meet Ms Gemmet, but I am sure she is a wonderful person as the Resort is a reflection of the owner!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family