“We came for one week and stayed two!”
Review of Bijou des Caraibes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Irvine
Bijou des Caraibes
Dorchester, UK
“We came for one week and stayed two!”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We returned to Tobago for a week's holiday, during a long stay in Trinidad with family, and ended up staying for two. Judy was an excellent host giving us an entree to two pre-Carnival parties and provided us with any help we needed. The facilities were fairly basic, but everything worked and a wonderful tea set provided when all we asked for a tea pot! The swimming pool is a definite 5 star addition, with a proper deep end. Definitely good value and a comfortable, safe, quiet environment. We would certainly consider staying at Bijou again. A hire car is recommended for this location.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Geoff M

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Trinidad
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I spent a weekend here with a group of friends and had a truly awesome experience. Judy made us feel so at home with her warmth and vibrant personality. She was there to assist us whenever we needed her.
The place was very comfortable and very clean with basic amenities available.
The pool was always inviting and nestled in between her well kept garden.
This place is ideal for a weekend getaway or if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of normal everyday life.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sunil S
Trinidad
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Now everyone's experience will be the same obviously some will be different but that being said i find it hard to connect the gracious host judy gemmet with the previous reviewers assessment of her.. Anyway I have stayed in numerous villas and hotels in tobago and whilst some where more luxurious i can say Bijou Des Caraibes has become one of my favs.. Bijou is a well maintained villa with four apartment types.. Having had a very long delay in flight and an overall bad start, on arrival Ms. Gemmet informed me that her studio apt which i booked was not available as the ac was not working well and she upgraded me free of charge to her two bedroom apartment, which was expansive and suited the needs of me and my friend. The pool is clean and was always warm and was never crowded.. The rooms are very simplistic but overall clean and comfortable, everything was in working order, one suggestion would be a put an full size mirror in one of the bedrooms :) Ms. Gemmet has a truly remarkable aura and one of the sweetest persons i've ever met in the service industry. So overall i would definitely recommend this place to persons not fussy, enjoys peace and quiet and has an owner that always makes herself available..
So thanks Ms. Gemmet to you and your son for the help with my phone and the eventual charger which was given to me and for making our stay a memorable one in Tobago and i can't wait to return soon! :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I made a booking at Bijou des Caribes because it was located quite near to the hotel my friends were staying at. I sent the downpayment to Judith Gemmet. I found her quite pleasant during the entire transaction and was quite happy with the arrangements.

I then called her one day to find out whether there were any additional apartments available - to my surprise she causally informed me that she had cancelled my booking because she had received a booking for a longer period for the apartment I had booked and she would be refunding my money.

I tried to reason with her that I had booked with her because of the location and did not want to cancel but she became very agitated and informed me roughy that she could honour her word. I could not help but wonder when/if she would have bothered to call me to inform me of the cancellation.

I managed to get another place in the same area, I must say that when I passed by Bijou des Caribes it was quite sub standard looking compared with other places in the area for the same price. I guess it was a good thing that she cancelled.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank DrD777

Travellers are raving about these Mount Irvine hotels

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at Bijou for 2 nights in May and have added it to our list of places to visit again when in Tobago.

Situated on a hill in the Mount Irvine area, Bijou is a homey guest house that serves as an excellent base for exploring Tobago. There is a relaxing view of the sea and treetops and some welcome silence - ideal for a getaway.

We stayed as a family in the 2 bedroom flat (complete with view of the clean and inviting pool) and found all that we needed - including a cot and a high chair for our baby. The entire place was clean and cosy with additional cleaning daily. There is clothes line space in the garage area and a table and chairs outside for hanging out.

As far as self-catering guest houses go, one's needs are met and if there was something you didn't find, you could simply ask the manager, Ms Gemmet (she became Judy to us), a very friendly woman who truly understands what service means.

On our last morning there she even lent us beach towels so we wouldn't have to travel with wet things.

The only hitch, as I told Judy is that one must have a car to stay at the property. However, most people do rent a vehicle for at least a couple days when exploring Tobago so that's minor.

Hats off to Bijou des Caraibes!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam_Adventure
Borgo val di Taro, Italy
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed at " Bijou" for 4 night.
The FIRST thing to know about this place is that you're 10mins car drive-far away from the nearest beach and retaurant; so a rented car is necessary if you want to stay at Bijou.

The place is very nice, on the top of Mount Irvine Hill, and you can see the amazing Tobago sunset in the garden near the pool.
Judith, the manager, is very very helpfull, friendly, make for us many big services (for an example: she provided to rent a car for us at our landing...) and she gave us maps and adresses to enjoy the island.

Our room was the Studio 2, a ground floor old style room with a king size bed and a little kitchen. Outside there was a table with chairs in the garden. The room and the bathroom were cleaned all days and were confortables.

If you want to discover Tobago (by car), Bijou des Caraibes is the best place in the best location.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fretheelf
Trinidad, Caribbean
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed in the 2 bdrm & 1 of the studios. Only the 2 bdrm had a view (ground floor)to the front/pool. The studio was at the back. The rooms at the center upstairs in the photos that you see on Facebook are really where the owners live.

The yard & pool are quite nice - no pool hours. The dog is big and old, rather cute and hardly seen. The apartments are small, not-modern and basic but manageable with a go-with-the-flow attitude. Bedrooms have a good strong AC. Rooms could use a meticulous cleaning but are not filthy or so. I took some Clorox wipes to the surfaces & scrubbed some pans. The studio is tiny & honestly @ $350 a night you can get nicer studios. The 2 bdrm @ $600 a night is a good price but the 2nd brdm in the 2 bdrm is tiny.

Little things that require a roll-with-it attitude: bedroom/bathroom doors don't lock. Cable come and goes (may not be the owners fault). No AC in the living room. Kitchen small. Nowhere to hang wet clothes.Hot water takes a while sometimes. One key for the 4 of us to share. Parking is somewhat tight.

However Judy is indeed a pleasant & willing person. Makes herself very accessible.

Room Tip: Not sure if upstairs rooms are available at all - ask her. The 2 bdrm has bedrom facing the front. I...