“An excellent Bed and Breakfast”

The Old Rectory B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Kessingland B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“An excellent Bed and Breakfast”
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We stayed her while in Suffolk for a funeral and I can't speak highly enough of this bed and breakfast, which is one of the best we have ever stayed in. The house itself is beautiful and the gardens magnificent. The breakfast was well cooked and served in the lovely breakfast room overlooking the gardens; there was plenty of choice, including fresh fruit salad. The bedroom was very attractive and spacious. But best of all was the welcome. Chris and Carole Richardson were excellent hosts, being friendly and helpful without being too obtrusive. I have no criticisms at all of their establishment - they got everything just right.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Clarinda1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
UK
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We stayed for a night at The Old Rectory, and as the title of the review states, we wish we could have stayed longer. We stayed in August 2010 and the room cost £94 per night including breakfast.

We got a warm welcome from Chris upon our arrival and then we were shown to a elegant, spacious room (room 1). I really think that Carole and Chris had "thought of everything" to make it extra special - fluffy bathrobes, slippers, fresh milk for tea, fresh fruit to name just a few things. The room looked on to the gorgeous garden which we didn't get chance to explore unfortunately. For me though, the best thing was the sleep that I got that night. Being located up a long drive off the busy main road meant that the Old Rectory was exceptionally quiet and combined with an extremely comfortable king-sized bed and wooden shutters on the windows meant I got the best night’s sleep I'd had in ages.

I can easily see why it has won an award for its breakfasts as EVERYTHING about it was superb. Another couple mentioned that the evening meals were really good too - next time we'll try them - which means we're definitely going back, can't wait!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank penderz
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We stayed at the Old Rectory B&B as a special treat, a little get away from the everyday hustle and bustle. We really were in for a treat. We received a very warm welcome from Chris and Carole, nothing was too much trouble. We have cream teas in the beautiful gardens before going to our room which was luxurious and well equipped. The views from the bedroom over the formal gardens were stunning and much time was spent looking out enjoying the scenery. We enjoyed a three course meal in the evening cooked by Carole on the premises using vegetables grown in the garden and local produce, it was exquisite. The breakfast was fantastic, we were spoilt for choice and I can especially recommend the fresh fruit salad and the full english! The location is ideal for exploring the Suffolk coast and Norfolk Broads. We visited Southwold, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft and spent time at Alton Broads which was beautiful. All in all a very relaxing pampered time, I highly recommend this little price of Heaven - everyone should have the opportunity to experience it!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thehockeys
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My partner and I have stayed at The Old Rectory twice a year for 3 years now.

The warm welcome we receive from Carole and Chris has bought us back again and again.

The listed house is big and beautiful. We stayed in Room 1 which is peaceful, relaxing and the bathroom is a dream. (In-fact I copied the style of the bathroom for my own property so you could call me a copy-cat.) The bed is really comfortable and you would fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow. The garden is really huge and it is lovely to walk around admiring the flowers and wildlife.

The room has a freeview TV, hairdryer, slippers, dressing gown, drinks and has other items that complement your stay.

We come and stay at The Old Rectory when there is a weekender at Pointin's nearby. I prefer not to stay at Pointin's and not to eat the food there. Instead we love to stay at this B&B and we have our evening meals there as well as breakfast.

Both breakfast and evening meal (cost extra for evening meal) is superb and well cooked. I wish I could cook like Carole and Chris. My partner just likes going there for the food as he gets fed very well. His favourite are the big puddings.

Carole and Chris are very laid back and they are happy for you to come and go as you please, even when we arrive back from a night out and it’s gone midnight. They give you a key so you can let yourself in.

You can also have a good laugh with Carole and Chris and we take the mickey out of Chris’s legs when he is tackling the garden.

I would recommend The Old Rectory B&B at Kessingland to everyone. You won’t find a more beautiful house and gardens. The Old Rectory has won B&B awards and the best garden awards. I must say Carole and Chris deserve all of these awards.

A big congratulations to Carole and Chris for running the best B&B I’ve ever been to.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie_rnr
London
Reviewed 22 July 2010

This is a great-value B&B in the village of Kessingland, near Lowestoft.

We visited while attending the nearby Latitude Festival. The owners were extremely friendly. We arrived early in the day to head off to the Festival and were greeted and allowed to drop off our luggage before the room was ready. We returned late at night and were offered fresh milk to make a late night drink.

The breakfast was superb and made with local produce. The owners were friendly and happy to help with enquiries or leave you alone as you pleased. The gardens were beautiful and the B&B was set back from the (not very busy) road which made it very quiet. Other guests in the B&B were there for a longer stay, enjoying touring towns and villages such as Lavenham and cruising on the Norfolk Broads.

Because we were at the festival, I can't comment on Kessingland's nightlife. I imagine it's a fairly quiet spot - with Lowestoft being the nearest sizable town. So the Old Rectory is definitely somewhere to get away from it all.

• Stayed July 2010
Julie L, Owner at The Old Rectory B&B, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you Neal and Anita, that is lovely! We look forward to you 'changing your pattern' again and coming back for a third visit and to see the garden in a different season. Take care and kind regards, Julie and Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kessingland
Randolph Hotel
#4 of 4 in Southwold
The Stables at Henham Park
The Stables at Henham Park
#6 of 19 in Southwold

Been to The Old Rectory B&B? Share your experiences!