“Fantastic!!! A****” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Oakamoor B&B and Inns
Bedlington
“Fantastic!!! A****”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the beehive during our weekend away to Alton towers and I have fallen in love, Ruth and Colin are fantastic people and really warm and friendly. The rooms were super clean, spacious and well maintained. There's tea and coffee, kettle, hair drier, cups and glasses. Everything you need! Breakfast was absolutely spot on, more than enough to keep you going for the day! We will be back soon!! The views are idyllic a lovely quiet village. The local pub 'the lord nelson' does great home made food. Alton towers was a 10 minute drive up the road too, what more can I say. Absolutely perfect!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Joanne F

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

What can I as the title says it all! Stayed here for 2 nights for a birthday weekend away at Alton Towers, the location is spot on as it is only a 5 minute drive to the resort itslef. It was 5* service from arrival to departure! Our room was very spacious and beds were comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was superb with a full english (not to good before visiting a theme park). The local facilities for dinner are fantastic as we went to the lord nelson both evenings. Cannot wait to return to this fantastic B&B

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here with my boyfriend because we were visiting Alton Towers and it was highly praised on tripadvisor. In hindsight, I don't really understand why. There's nothing major wrong with the Beehive - apart from one small thing that would make me think twice before staying here again, but more on that later - but I don't understand why so many people have given it 5 stars. I would agree with everyone else that Ruth and Colin are really nice people, and very friendly, and we both found Colin very entertaining at breakfast time. Breakfast was excellent, incidentally. We both left fully satisfied and having eaten loads! However, to me a guest house that is consistently marked as excellent has to make an impression and although this was absolutely fine, it didn't wow me. I feel bad writing this as I don't like saying this when the people who run it are also the people who own it, but I'm not saying anything negative: just more that I am a bit confused as to why so many people have given it 5/5 on Trip Advisor.

The location may be an issue for some - it is very out in the middle of nowhere and luckily I had my car with me, because if I hadn't, then we would have been well and truly stuck. We walked to the local pub for dinner - again, relying on TA - but it was dead to the world, and there were little kids running round and playing on a playmat on the floor so we felt a bit awkward and left. We ended up getting in the car and driving to an amazing Indian restaurant which I absolutely, 100% recommend as it was absolutely outstanding! Can't remember the name of it, but I'll review it on here too once I've found it. It was quite a drive away, and we had to drive up very narrow lanes, and also in extremely inclement weather with howling winds and incessant, pelting rain, so make sure that if you do bring your car, you remember this - the roads and very narrow and hilly, and if you are a nervous or inexperienced driver, just know this: my boyfriend said that he was glad that he was not driving. I am not bothered about driving on country roads, but I do know that some people can be, so if you are planing on bringing a car, know that the roads are fairly precarious to the uttoxeter and also to Alton Towers itself.

We took a taxi to AT one day, then I drove the next. Although the Beehive is advertised as close to it, you do actually need a car to get there. You can't walk as it's far too far away. It is also very hilly plus there are no paths, only roads, so even if you were feeling ambitious, it probably wouldn't be practical to walk at all.

The room itself was clean and there was hot water, plus tea and coffee and hot chocolate. The tv was at an awkward angle on the wall, which meant that if we had been watching tv - which we weren't as we were out all day - we first of all would have to lie on the bed (no armchairs or sofas to comfortably watch tv) and at a rather strange angle to enable both of us to watch it! Don't know why it was placed at this position - the bed faced the windows and the tv was 90 degrees to our right if lying on the bed, so that was a bit funny. But, like I said, we weren't in much so that wasn't really an issue - just mentioning to flag it up to folk who may be in and want the tv on at night, etc.

The main thing for me, though, is that I was taking my boyfriend there for his birthday. I mentioned this twice on the phone to Ruth, plus when I had made my booking, but there was absolutely no mention of this at all during our 2 night stay. He didn't expect anything anyway, so did not notice, but I did because I had said that it was his birthday and a special occasion.. There wasn't even a 'happy birthday' to him, and it's for this reason that I wouldn't stay here again. I had read the great reviews, and my mistake, on reflection, was expecting too much based on them.

We also paid about £140 - far, far too much for 2 nights. I have stayed in a London for the same price and received much more for my money. It is very overpriced. If it was half the cost, then I guess I would not have the same expectations that I did but, because of the price, combined with the matters I have raised above, I find it hard to rate it as highly as others have. I understand that the owners have to make a living but in comparison to other places, it is too much money for too little, and that includes an extremely far out location, but mainly no acknowledgement of a very special occasion. However, if the Beehive had been even £80 for 2 nights, I'd have given it a 5 star rating as that is to be expected for the price. Colin and Ruth were so nice that I do feel bad rating it low but I wouldn't be being honest if I said it was great (bearing in mind the price), because what if someone else's partner was taking them to AT for a special occasion and chose the Beehive based on TA? I think that a genuine place worthy of 5 stars, or even 4, should remember that.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Enchantedprincess
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here for three nights while visiting Alton Towers with a friend. An excellent B&B that I highly recommend. Great nights sleep, delicious breakfast and other roller coaster fanatics, who may or may not offer you a lift to Alton Towers (thanks guys). Many thanks to Ruth and Colin for their hospitality. It was flawless This place is perfect for a thrill seeking weekend or a relaxing time away in the countryside.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Paralimni
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Booked this via Booking.com, and very please with the stay. We stopped over for 2 nights, had 2 double rooms. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and cosy. The breakfast was lovely and the management were really friendly and upbeat. We could not want for anything, and if needing a place to stay in the future this is at the top of the list. Brilliant stay.

Room Tip: Can't remember the room number but it had a overly 4 poster bed.