“Ocean Blue Blues”
Review of Ocean Blue Bali

Ocean Blue Bali
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Do not go to Ocean Blue Villas near Nusa Dua in Bali. It was difficult for our driver to find the Villas as the sign was small and old, however 'Ocean Blue Villas' was spray painted in red on an old brick wall which alerted us to where to finally turn ... after our driver had been up and down the road a few times. Upon our arrival we were told that paying for our villa was in US dollar (usually about $300 Australian per night), which we wanted to pay then and there as that particular day, the Australian dollar was quite high compared to the US dollar. We were told that this was not possible as the 'machine was not working' ... mmm.

When we entered out villa we found the grounds to be dirty, there were no complimentary toiletries and the bar fridge was empty, except for two small bottles of water. Confused by this as the GRO had told us that the bar was stocked with a price list, I called reception. I explained that the bar was empty but the woman who answered the call could not understand me. I also tried to explain about an absence of toiletries, also that there was no guest information book to be found in the villa, but she couldn't understand that either. I said 'ok thank you anyway' and hanged up. I called back to try again but the same woman answered ... I still couldn't explain simple concepts like 'bar fridge empty' and 'no toiletries'. Frustrated, my wife got on the phone and explained the situation in Indonesian. The woman at reception replied 'We don't stock the fridge as our Chinese and Korean guests prefer that we leave the fridges empty' ... OK, so why tell us it was full with a price list anyway?

They promptly stocked the fridge but did not supply toiletries other than a couple of toothbrushes and tooth paste and did not supply us with a price list for the bar and a guest information book. We refrained from taking drinks from the fridge anyway ... we found out later that they were charging about $5.00 for a small can of Bintang. That afternoon we went to Bali Collection - which was a 10 minute drive from the villas and the actual heart of Nusa Dua (Ocean Blue advertises that they are in Nusa Dua - this is incorrect, they are near and not in Nusa Dua). When we came back to our villa early that evening, it was infested with hundreds of marsh flies, queen ants and mosquitoes - no exaggeration, I am originally from North Queensland and I have never seen so many insects inside a building in my life! We called housekeeping and asked for some insect control - as no turn down had occurred and they did not supply insect controls.

Housekeeping arrived and cleaned up the bugs - about five large dust pans filled to the brim with bugs! They supplied us with a can of insect spray and one electric bug deterrent - this did little, we were still annoyed by the buzzing of dying marsh flies and bites from mozzies, we had to keep the lights off in the villa in an attempt to stop further bugs from entering the villa - a half inch wide gap was evident between each of the three double doors and an inch wide gap existed between the architraves and the doors themselves. Also the Balinese style roof appeared to have a quarter foot gap between the roof and the walls. At around 8.00 p.m. I tried to have a hot shower - but discovered there was no hot water and not much water pressure. At this point I came out, called the GRO and asked to speak with the villa manager. He did not call back but came to our villa. We complained about the insect problem (as marsh flies scuttled and buzzed, dying on the floor around his feet) and also about the absence of hot water.

He was quite nervous and kept saying sorry. The next day a squad of workers came to our villa, thoroughly clean the grounds and the inside of the villa, and several men worked for about an hour to fix the hotwater. I asked what was wrong with the hotwater and was told that the element had rusted and broken off ... a sure tale sign that no one had used this villa for some time. Anyway, by the second night the toilet had stopped flushing and needed to be fixed ... also when they fixed the hot water, they did not set temperature control - as I am writing this review from my home in Australia, I am still suffering from a 1st degree burn on my left thigh - the hot water comes out of the taps with no gradual increase in temperature and at boiling point!

With regards to their restaurant - the restaurant food is beyond pathetic and the service was outrageously absent. The breakfast buffet was the same each day -only looked older and drier each day ... catching my drift? I, my wife and my son are still suffering from Bali belly after consuming breakfast on the third day. The breakfast buffet only consisted of old and stale chicken sausages, old looking dried up chicken in sweet soy sauce, fried rice, dried up steamed rice and fried noodle. There were two selections of fruit juice - both of which were not real fruit juice, were not even Nutri Sari -but plain old cordial. To top off how crap the restaurant is, the expense for room service was ridiculous - about $15.00 Australian for a club sandwhich or nasi goreng. However we did try to order room service on the second night, but nothing we wanted was available.

We were also constantly bothered by housekeeping - four times in just one hour after breakfast on the third day. The GRO tried to smooth things over by supplying us with a complimentary plate of sliced watermelon and a free one hour massage. We declined on the massage ... frankly why should some poor worker have to massage my back because of bad management? The day before we checked out, I called to arrange a pick up from our villa prior to check out and to be dropped off at the airport.

When the time came no car arrived (I had also called a second time on the day we were to be picked up, just to be sure). We then called three times asking where the driver was, we were told that the car could not pick us up because a tree had fallen on the road near the restaurant (no trees near the restaurant and no evidence of a fallen tree when we were picked up and driven passed the restaurant). When we checked out, we reiterated our concerns to management - they seemed very apologetic, however to our dismay, people have been complaining about the same problems at Ocean Blue on Trip Advisor for a few years now.

This can only mean that their apologies are not genuine as they do nothing to correct the problems for future guests. Oh, and the grounds were disgusting - the gardens over ridden with weeds. Over priced, lack of basic amenities, severe pest problems and the most terrible restaurant food imaginable ... beyond comprehension.

Now we are not new to Ocean Blue - we stayed there three years ago, it was a totally different place back then. It really has gone to the dumps. Do not go there - I was burned, bitten, buzzed and given the Bali belly ... what could happen to you?

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
16  Thank EarthNerdJim

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel with wife, we took 3d2n the honeymoon package during August 2012. Actual room quality was far from the images shown at the internet..this hotel needs renovation..
me & my wife were so disappointed at the dirty toilet, unqualified breakfast provided (for 5 star hotel), dirty private pool, much even dirtier public pool..

Will never come back/recommend to friends..

for those have not stayed/willing to stay at this hotel, please note that the pictures on the internet are taken years ago when the hotel was built..its not like that now..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Andry T
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Big rooms and wash/bath room bigger than the bedroom but villa and the whole hotel property requires renovation to be up to date. It lacks hotel amenities as what other hotel gives and it does not provide intercontinental breakfast.

However it is value for money, as you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Manish S
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed here two years ago and had a fantastic time at the Ocean Blue in Bali.

The apartments were simply perfect, three very large rooms; comprising of a living room, large sized bedroom and very nice bathroom.

We did notice that the apartments were quite empty, but we were looking for a bit of a getaway from the hustle and bustle of further West in Bali.

The Ocean Blue has beautiful apartments with an infinity pool that overlooks the hills. The location is far away from the beach, and I would suggest not staying the whole of your journey at this hotel for that very reason. But this is a good getaway in the mountains and definitely worth 3-4 nights.

We particularly enjoyed the gym facilities and the service happened to be excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank majicka
Reviewed 24 April 2012

By now this must be one of the worst places in Bali to spend the holiday, from food over cleaning the room, service it can't get much worse than this.
Running out of toilet paper, water, coffee. the breakfast is a joke and the restaurant a rip off.
i know the place very well and i can only warn people to go there.

Room Tip: in any other hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank Fred01010101
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We booked Ocean Blue from the amazing photos on the Internet.....well what a disappointment! It was so far away from anything and old and dilapidated. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived - which was hard to believe as the occupancy was about 4 and the villas outnumbered 100 at least! We were taken to the 'restaurant' which was a huge barn with no atmosphere and no customers. I asked for a cocktail at lunch time & was informed that the bar tender had gone home. I asked for sparkling mineral water - 'sorry madam we ran out'. I ended up with iced tea - yuk! Lunch was ok but not spectacular. We were taken to,our room, which upon initial visual presentation, looked great.....but did not take long to see the flaws.....For a 4-5star resort there was definitely NO amenities - no bathroom amenities eg no shower cap, bath gel, shaving things, sanitary bags and I couldn't figure out what was worse - the stench of sewerage or the stench of the moth balls on top of the drain in the toilet to disguise the stench of the sewerage!!
There was no mini bar (as advertised) no flat screen TV (as advertised). The room was dirty with light fixtures taped up with gaffa tape. The sheets were old and thread-bare with holes in them. The towels were old, grey and shabby. The stench of sewerage prevailed outside the villa. We could not spend much time in our private pool because of,this along with the ring of mould around the water-line of the pool.....but it gets better! During the first night I was awoken by a tapping noise.....it turned out that we were sharing our $300US a night villa with A BALINESE RAT!!!! It ate the crackers we had to buy in order to at least get some food in this terrible place!!! We could not get out of there quick enough!! We were charged $300US for cancellation fee. There was not one operational bar in the whole resort. The only alcoholic beverage available to us was Bintang. When I asked for a Piña Colada the lovely waitress scuttled off only returning moments later to inform me 'very sorry madam, but we have no coconut milk'. For gods sake - its a tropical island!! How can you not have coconut milk????
There was no compendium in the room telling us of the amenities in the resort - probably because there was no amenities!! The gym was a dilapidated old unused building with ceiling panels hanging down, filthy windows and overgrown grass. In all, apart from the very nice staff, a completely horrible disastrous time - especially since it was my birthday. Would NEVER recommend this place - avoid it at ALL costs.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel - all I can suggest is try to choose one WITHOUT a rat!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Colleen W
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We book the room from RajaKamar with a very good rate.
We stayed there for two nights for our honey moon
The hotel location is a bit hard to find, Luckly the room rate is included airport transfer.
It's up on a hill far from the beach so don't expect for an ocean view, but the weather is nice though.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, they provide boogie cars for the guests to get around the hotel because it's a bit far if you walk from the lobby to the villa.
The surroundings is quite and tranquil fit for a couple and honeymoon.
Our villa is comfortable and spacious, I really enjoy the private pool and the whirl pool.
The breakfast buffet is always had korean food, maybe since there so many korean guests stayed there. the taste was OK.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple