“Cross the Road.”

Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Cross the Road.”
Reviewed 15 October 2009

This hotel has had so many reviews that it hardly seems worthwhile adding another one. However, we had a slightly different experience from many of the other reviewers.

Contrary to the advice of many of the posters on this site, we stayed across the road in the part of the hotel away from the beach. We got a de luxe room with a balcony complete with sun lounger that overlooked the swimming pool. We were SO happy that we weren't in the busy main hotel. This part of the hotel is really private and I just loved the "quiet" swimming pool. It was just so relaxing and peaceful. Of course if you have children, the main hotel with their pools and beach is probably far more appealing as the children can play noisily and no one even notices..

When we checked in, I almost upgraded to a beach facing room but decided to look at the deluxe room first. I am so glad I did as I really liked the lay out and being away from all the activity. It is absolutely no hardship crossing the road if you want to go to the beach, have breakfast in the main hotel, o r if you want to be part of the beachfront bustle.

The breakfasts were excellent and we had lunch twice at the Beach Cafe on the beach and I thought the food was really good.

The service was amazing. Really attentive and friendly, though I have to say the checking in and checking out process could hardly be described as express.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to people with or without families. It was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LizaBee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 12 October 2009

This is not a budget option hotel and for Bali it's quite expensive compared to what else you can find. But I personally thought it was worth it. I grew up in Hawaii and always dreamed of staying in one of the fancy resort hotels and the Novotel Bali Benoa was exactly what I always imagined an island resort would be like. And after several walks up and down the beach looking into the grounds of the other hotels in the area I'd have to say it's by far the most beautiful and Balinese.

The hotel is situated about 30 minutes taxi ride from Kuta (the main tourist area and where younger tourists usually go due to the nightlife). A taxi into Kuta costs about AU$8 each way. We had hemed and hawed about whether or not to stay in Kuta but I am so happy we didn't. It was fun to visit and we went several times but I much preferred Tanjung Benoa as a base. It's a small fishing village which has in the last 25 years (according to the helpful hotel staff member which took us on a little tour of the village) seen an influx of tourism and it's now the Bali's number 1 spot for watersports. We had also considered Nusa Dua but after going there I'm happy we didn't. It's the opposite of Kuta, it's a gated holiday resort and is so manicured and sanitized that you are left with no Bali experience at all. Tanjung Benoa is a good compromise between the two.

The hotel is split into two sections with one section being on the beach and the other being across the road. I didn't see the section across the road so can only comment on the beach side section and it was beautiful.

We stayed in a terraced room. This is a more expensive room than the standard but not as expensive as the beach front or pool villas which we did get a glimpse of and I'm currently trying to talk my husband into booking a pool villa for our next trip. We were on a package booked directly through the accor site that included the terraced room, breakfast (which were fantastic, absolutely incredible, everything from pancakes to sushi), airport transfers and supposedly internet connection.

It turned out that the internet connection wasn't exactly as described and instead of getting it for the entire time they gave us one hour free. This would have earned them a 4 star rating were it not for the fact that when we asked if we could have a checkout later than 10am they immediately said 1pm was fine at no extra cost.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, the grounds meticulously kept with lush vegetation all around and tons of birds, a much more "natural" setting than your average boxy hotel. We even had a baby bat on our front porch one day :-). Other than a few ants there were no pests, not a cockroach in sight. The enormous bumble bees were fascinating to watch but they favoured flowers that grew in trees high above so were no threat at all and there are an incredible amount of sand and hermit crabs on the beach which I loved. Overall you got a sense that the hotel had been designed to be in harmony with its surroundings and it added enormously to the holiday feeling which is often missing when you end up in a hotel that looks like any other hotel anywhere in the world.

The hotel puts on daily free events around 3 and 4pm such as Balinese dancing, cooking demonstrations, tours of the local village, massage classes and basket weaving. I went to the village tour and cooking demo, both were very good.

For meals and drinks don't bother with the hotel, cocktails cost about 3 times what they cost at the street restaurants. There are so many fantastic cheaper options along the road and there's one restaurant along the beach front which belongs to another hotel (Pavillion I think) which we went to for the last three dinners. It's about 5 minutes walk from the Novotel, same price as the street restaurants and is so romantic.

On arrival we were given vouchers for a discounted massage 30 minutes for AU$11. This is more expensive than what you can get if you go along the road but the hotel does the massages in raised open air huts right on the beach and the combination of the waves, bird song and soft tropical breeze is worth the extra.

On two nights while we were there the pool area was set up for private wedding dinners and I have to admit I was jealous. It was beautifully set, with tables right between the pool and the beach. Lighting was amazing, food looked divine and the staff seemed truly excited about the occasion. I'm sure the happy couple were thrilled that they chose the Novotel.

Just one last note on Bali - I've been to roughly 40 countries around the globe and have to say the Balinese people and their warm, genuinely friendly demeanor have convinced me that Bali is worth going back to. It's not just the romance of a tropical island (I've been to plenty), it's the friendliness, the outgoing curiosity, the genuine smiles even after you've said you're not interested in whatever their selling. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank teresha
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 October 2009

After alot of deliberation we deicided on the Novotel Benoa Bali and i am so glad we did!! This place is fantasic!! The rooms are great...we had the tropical terrace room which is beautifully furnished and are on the beach side of the road! Staff were all fantastic...very helpfull!! Breakfasts were amazing...lots to choose from so suits everyone! I love the area (Tanjung benoa) am am glad we were there rather than being right in Nusa Dua which seems a bit 'fake' to me. I prefer to be amoungst the locals rather than right in the heart of Nusa Dua which is a little bit exclusive for me!! Will be back!

1 Thank KiwiGirlNZ83
The Vines
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I, like many of you, checked the reviews on TA to decide where to stay. Thank you to all of you that recommended this little gem as we had a really wonderful stay. Our purpose was to have a quick 4 nights relaxing and soaking up warm weather in the middle of Australia’s winter so shopping and nightlife were not a requirement.

I arranged an airport pickup by a hotel car and we thought it was well worth the US$15. I know it’s more expensive than a local taxi but after the flight it was nice to be greeted and whisked away in a comfortable air-conditioned car. Check in was fast and the Welcome Drink delicious. We stayed in a beach cabana right on the beachfront and woke up each morning to the sound of the ocean – bliss. The room was clean, spacious and had a great outdoor bath. The lighting in the bathroom and bedside were a little dim, but that is really the only thing I thought could improve. We spent a lot of time lying on our personal lounge chairs in our garden overlooking the ocean.

I’d read that the staff are friendly but the comments just don’t do them justice - the service from every single employee was exceptional. We used the spa each day and the girls were experienced and delightful. The prices were quite reasonable considering it was part of a hotel, and charged in local currency rather than USD as in some other hotels. Breakfasts are great and the Kid’s Corner is a good idea. The special buffet area for kids has low benches featuring a selection of cereals, pastries, etc just for them.

The first 2 nights the hotel was full but we never felt “crowded” at either the pool, beach or food areas. We’ve never been great Bali fans but after having found this gem we’re already planning the next getaway. Would definitely recommend the hotel to couples as well as families.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Touring_Taylors
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Great Hotel very balinese in architecture, stayed in a deluxe room,very comfortable. Hotel is on both sides of the road. The beach side has villas and suites,restaurants and a beatiful pool by the beach,the other side of the road hasthe hotel rooms,2 pools and a swim up bar and cafe. fabulous hotel for kids.

1 Thank JWBSydneyAustralia
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 7 October 2009

We arrived in Novotel Bali Benoa Hotel and stayed for 2 nights in Nusa Dua. Overall, it is very quiet here compared to Kuta. Nothing much happening at night except for just dinner at the restaurants outside (not much choices though) or in the hotel.

The hotel is beautiful. A lot of deck chairs, great for sun-tanning and relaxing by the beach. A variety of water sports as well but it is not complimentary, of course.

The hotel gave us an upgrade after we have checked into our room at the Beach Cabana. We were very happy to be upgraded to the private one room villa. Very beautiful room and we are very pleased + grateful for the upgrade. It is such a priviledge...one in a million.

The private villa is very beautiful complete with private swimming pool and a jacuzzi. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Hotel guests are entitled to the complimentary message, which both my bf and I enjoyed in the cabana by the beach. It is very relaxing...amazing.

I would like to comment that the staffs are not really that efficient though. Not all staffs in general. Perhaps a few? We called the bell boy to pick up our luggage during check-out but after waiting for at least 15minutes in our room, we decided to just slowly walk to the lobby but the bell boy is not seen anywhere. Secondly, the staff at the restaurant by the beach (forgot the name) is not really that efficient during night time. We were served almost immediately when we had lunch but at night, we had to keep waving and waited for at least half an hour before someone actually SEE us. Food was great though.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 4 October 2009

My wife and I had booked 3 nights there to recover from the long flight before heading to central and northern Bali. We usually prefer small charming hotels over bigger resorts and didn't expect much from this Novotel (even though Accor is a reputable chain).
We had booked one of the tropical rooms (and were upgraded to the better Beach Cabana) and....what a pleasant surprise!

Lovely big wooden room, nice furnitures, enormous bathroom with outdoor bathtub, front garden with our own sun loungers, a few meters away from the pool and the beach (but no noise problems). Daily little treats brought to the room (fruits, pastry) was really enjoyable.

This resort is obviously not the Tour Operator type and you can feel that guests here have booked themselves, they're not the typical Aussie-UK-German-Dutch organized trip customers (sorry for them, but they usually do not behave properly ).

Even in-house activities do not feel "cheap", so that we even took part (Yoga lesson is given by an experienced master).
Generally food is excellent, and you can feel the Accor french touch in the outstanding bread and pastries served.
As usual in Bali, grounds and gardens are manicured, pool is huge and clean, common areas are architecturally gorgeous.
Two iMacs are available freely in the lobby for internet.

A real incentive to try other Accor resorts throughout Asia.

PS: Wifi would be great, and better lighting in the bathroom (shaving was a bit difficult)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Melia Bali Indonesia
Melia Bali Indonesia
#15 of 53 in Nusa Dua
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,019 reviews

Been to Novotel Bali Benoa? Share your experiences!