This hotel was better than we expected even after reading good reviews on this site before booking. We had Gold membership and this was excellent value for money. The room was spacious with a very private balcony overlooking the pool and sea. A bathroom had a step in bath, and a shower which was powerful and very controllable, and two loos, one in the bathroom and the other in a separate cloakroom with basin, very handy. Good flat screen TV that could be swivelled to face the bed or sofa, a well stocked free mini bar, and a wonderful free laundry service that was lightening fast. Just fill up the laundry bag daily, dial 1 in the morning and ask for a collection, and by mid-afternoon, you return to your room with everything clean and beautifully pressed and hanging up in the wardrobe. The only downside was the air conditioning, it was simply not good enough. This needs to be upgraded to a modern system that lowers the temperature down to ice cool levels, which is why the room only gets four hits.
Every meal we had over the week was great and no complaints, and the service friendly and efficient. The "Amarta" restaurant was one of the coolest areas in the hotel, (apart from the games and karioke rooms and theatre, good retreats on those hot humid evenings. We were drinking the same brands of red wines by the bottle that we would drink in the UK., i.e. good Chilean merlots and Cab Savs from Australia.
The pool was superb and ideal for cooling off and socialising around the bar. No shivering when entering, the temperature was perfect. The garden was stunningly beautiful and lovingly attended thoughout the day.
Let me say something about the beach. You approached the beach by walking from the pool area through a perfectly trimmed lawned area dotted with impressive coconut palms, and is a wide gently curving bay fringed by walkway breakwaters terminating in charming pagodas used for massage. On the horizon, on a clear day, one of island's fantastic and imposing volcanos can be seen in all its awsome glory. The sand is is fairly fine and of good light sandy colour (but not white) and is clean and inviting. The issue with the tide was not a problem for us, and unless you are avid snorkellors, you will not be disapppointed. The sea was warm and safe to swim, and the jet skis not too distracting.
A good walking path ran between the beach and hotel in both directions and made a pleasant evening stroll where you can view the other hotels along this stretch of coast. If you get too hot, the odd bar appears and you can stop for refreshment. Great also for people watching.
There was entertainment laid on every night. This took the form of a small trio band in the bar, and very competent they were too. On three nights there was a dance troup of stunningly beautiful Balinese girls and boys wearing skimpy costumes with plenty of bling thrown in. Some of the dance was in traditional costume, and some in modern garb. All in all, very entertaining and professionally presented. There were some traditional plays laid on, with hoards of men providing the vocal backing for the show and again breathtaking costumery and make up for the principle girl actors in glittering colourful costumery.
We had two problems during on arrival and departure. We booked direct with Sol Melia and didn't have to pay until we arrived. We wanted to pay all the cost on check-in, but the hotel machine would not accept our VISA cards for some reason. Fortunately, one card did eventually work and we managed to pay half of the bill. The other half was paid in cash that we had to draw out daily up to a limit from a local ATM across a busy road. However, after much hassle, we just covered it by the time we were leaving.
The second problem was with our entry visa to Bali. On going through immigration on leaving we were told that our visa period had been exceeded by one day, even though it was a seven day visa that we were told we needed on entry a week before by the official in the booth. We were marched into an office where we were interviwed by a senior immigration officer, and pleaded our case. In the end we had to pay a surchage of £35 for just that one extra day, which in my view we didn't need. So my advice is to make sure that your visa period is long enough to exceed your stay in Bali by more than one day to avoid argument and embarassment..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALL INCLUSIVE Premium All Inclusive Blue The All inclusive Blue package includes accommodation in Premium Room, all meals plan with buffet or a la carte choice, snacks, unlimited alcoholic local beverages, soft drinks, daily activities, unlimited non-motorized sports, nightly entertainment and more.We recommend you this package if you want to enjoy holidays worry-free, and search for an experience with great value and convenience in the Balinese paradise.Premium All Inclusive SilverThe All inclusive Silver package includes accommodation in Premium Room with view over the lush Tropical Garden or Pool, all meals plan with buffet or a la carte choice, snacks, unlimited alcoholic local beverages, soft drinks, daily activities, unlimited non-motorized sports, nightly entertainment, Free WiFi in the room, 1 time daily minibar refill, laundry with restrictions, discount on imported alcoholic beverages and more.Choose this package if you want to add some more value to your holidays at small extra cost. Enjoy the spectacular views from your balcony and the recently renovated new rooms with all the luxury, comfort and Melia amenities.Executive Jr. Suite All Inclusive Gold The All inclusive Gold package includes accommodation in Executive Suite, all meals plan with buffet and wider a la carte choice, snacks, unlimited alcoholic local beverages, soft drinks, daily activities, unlimited non-motorized sports, nightly entertainment, Free WiFi in the room, minibar, Room service, laundry with restrictions, 1 hour Spa massage for 2 adults, discount on imported alcoholic beverages and more.Experience a higher level of service in our Executive Suite with the ultimate luxurious accommodation, designed for couples, honeymooners or guests looking for a Romantic getaway, who appreciate the importance of attention to details combined with the highest personalized service and VIP treatment. If you want to be pampered this is your best option. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, TravelUp, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sol Beach House Benoa Bali by Melia Hotels International reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Benoa Hotel Tanjung Benoa
- Melia Hotel Benoa
- Melia Hotel Tanjungbenoa
- Melia Benoa Bali
- Sol Beach House Benoa Bali By Melia Hotels International Tanjung Benoa