“We were very happy with hotel and service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort

Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Gosford, Australia
“We were very happy with hotel and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

We stayed at the Aston Bali for our first trip to Bali on recommendation from our Travel Agent. We must say it lived up to its reputation. We had a garden room view (did not get upgrade because the hotel was full) but room was exactly as expected. Clean, daily housekeeping and turn down service. All the staff were fantastic and helpful. Pool was clean and breakfast had a huge selection from cereal, hot meals, pastries and cooked on request omelettes/eggs. Internet on site. I would suggest checking exchange rates with local kodak money exchangers down the road as hotel is not the best. We mostly ate at restaurants across the road from the hotel and food was great, cheaper and drinks cheaper. The buffet at the hotel was good and they provided a fun show. Only down side was the Italian restaurant at hotel. We decided to have a break from Indonesian food and we were very disappointed with the meal. It was stone cold in the middle, we then had to wait while it was reheated and it tasted terrible. Very overpriced as well. Book in at least the day before for the shuttle bus to Kuta as it fills up quick. The spa was lovely but it is much cheaper at the Pratama Spa across the road as well as the laundry. Try the fish foot spa just north of the hotel. There are also small markets north and south of the hotel where you can barter for merchandise and you can walk there on the beach paths. There is an elevator and air conditioning which is great for sleeping. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

We booked the Deluxe Ocean View but were upgraded to Ocean View Suite at no extra cost. We simply loved the big room and excellent ocean view from the hotel balcony!

The service from the hotel staff was terrific and not mentioning about the ambient atmosphere of Bali within the Hotel's premises.....everything looked so class :)

We will definitely look forward for our return trip to Bali Island and also to Aston Bali again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

We travelled to the Aston Bali as a group of 20. This was an incentive prize which we had rewarded our top clients with. As one of the organizers I obviously had my reservations/doubts/concerns as 20 people in a group are a lot of people to please. I cannot fault the hotel on anything, the service, accommodation, food, facilities etc where all fantastic. We had opted to upgrade to the Onyx package for our clients which entitled them to many extras including spa vouchers/water sport vouchers, laundry, room service and of course all food and drinks. This went down a treat with our clients and I can absolutely recommend this package as outstanding value for money!

• Stayed September 2010
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

Okay middle of the road hotel but don't pretend you are going 5 star because it isn't. Pool is nice, restaurants okay, but watch out for the weddings. We experienced a seemingly staid one compared to other reports on here but it still brought Aussie yobbos with identikit Bintang vests smuggling their vodka to the poolside.
Also a long way from the rest of the island if you fancy a trip to Ubud or even a night out in Kuta.

• Stayed August 2010
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

We were upgraded to a suite with ocean view at the price for a double with ocean view. We paid $140/night. We loved everything in this hotel--service, room, view, beach, and the best breakfast overlooking sunrise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Mississauga, Ont.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

I stayed at the Aston Bali from Aug. 16-20, 2010 in a deluxe room overlooking a community temple. I really enjoyed our accommodations and found it to be an excellent surprise, given that I have read many comments that may make people question this resort.

The hotel is shaped like a horseshoe with the Melasti Café at the base, facing the beach.

I remember looking at the ocean view rooms and thinking it was an unnecessary expense since I noticed many of the rooms (unless you’re at the rooms on the “tips of the horseshoe”) had views obstructed by palm trees. I mean, if you have the money, by all means, splurge, but the non-ocean view rooms were just as nice.

I highly enjoyed the pool, which had a little grotto with a waterfall and seating area. It was beach entry with actual sand, which I found to be a nice touch. I also liked that the pool was really close to the beach. While I enjoyed the beach, I found that there was a lot of debris from the ocean i.e. seaweed, etc. floating close to the shore, which may turn people off from going in.

Breakfast was included at the Melasti Café. It was sufficient. I thought the omelettes were the best I have ever had (and I’ve travelled a lot). They were thick and fluffy and cooked just right. I really enjoyed the papaya and mango jams.

I went to the spa for a Balinese massage, which cost about $27 US including taxes. If you’re a guest of the hotel, ask for a discount. The massage was relaxing and I found the Biwana Spa clean and the staff professional.

I visited this hotel with friends and while we wanted to go clubbing, we found we were too tired after a day of sightseeing. It’s well worth it to hire a driver. Our driver took us all over the island and we visited places like Tanah Lot, Kuta, Ubud, etc.

The area, Tanjung Benoa, is filled with resorts and its “noisy” versus somewhere like Gianyar (central Bali) but not as busy as somewhere like Kuta. This is my second trip to Bali. Previously I had stayed in Kuta and Nusa Dua.

As for service, I can see how it would be difficult for someone who doesn’t speak Bahasa Indonesia. I can speak a little bit, which helped with things like getting my bed sheets (because they felt sandy) changed in the middle of the night, when night staff weren’t fluent in English. I watched them change the sheets and they changed everything – comforter, sheets, pillow cases, etc. Sorry, I only expected them to do the bare minimum i.e. sheets only. Of course, I tipped them.

Laundry services are expensive (dry cleaning for items like suits and dresses is cheap by North American standards) but if you go across the road from the hotel (and a little to the left) there is a convenience store called Area Jaya that will wash your clothes for pretty cheap. Again, the Area Jaya staff don’t speak English well, so if you know a bit of Bahasa it is really helpful.

Also, the minibar is quite expensive, so if you just cross the road and pick up your items from a convenience store, it’s much cheaper.

A short walk down the road from the hotel is Bumbu Bali restaurant and Nyoman restaurant. I really enjoyed the food at both. Bumbu Bali is “expensive by Indonesian standards” about $50 US for three people including appetizers, drinks and desserts but well worth it. The food at Nyoman is much cheaper and also tasty. Across the road is the Coco restaurant. I found the prices reasonable by Indo standards and the food was tasty.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fine_Chyna
robfQld
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

Here is the good, the bad and the ugly

The hotel layout is U shaped around a large garden courtyard

The good: We had a large seaview room on the third floor overlooking the pool, courtyard and the beach absolutely beautiful. Plenty of room and a new large flatscreen TV mounted on the wall. Our king bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast was excellent - the most comprehensive we have experienced in Bali. The pool is really lovely with a swim up bar and waterfall.

The bad: The hotel is marketing itself as an all inclusive wedding venue. The reception is held in the courtyard and the headbanging boom boom music is delivered up to 11 p.m. at night. Sleep was hard to come by in our room because the drunk wedding guests continue to party down by the pool through the night. We were unlucky enough to experience weddings on both Saturday and Sunday night - we had booked for four nights - and were told there were another two weddings booked during the week. If you see that this hotel is almost fully booked it is probably because there is a wedding party or two or three filling up the hotel.

So retirees or those looking for a quieter place to rest and recharge the batteries, I would suggest go elsewhere. The staff will set up the head banging music via a large loud speaker down at the pool during the day to encourage the young ones down to the bar as well. We had to insist they turn it off while we were there. Kuta at Tanjungbenoa - what a shame!

The ugly: Our bathroom needed a good deep clean and bleaching. The color of the tiles behind and around the toilet leaves a lot to be desired. Cringe.

This was our most expensive accommodation this trip. It was to be our little treat. We are so glad we didn't book a longer stay. Hotel is looking to attract a younger crowd.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Novotel Bali Benoa
Novotel Bali Benoa
#5 of 30 in Tanjung Benoa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,832 reviews

Been to Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort? Share your experiences!