“Aston " A good choice"”

Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Reviewed 24 October 2010

My Wife & I visited the Aston early October for my sons wedding.
The reception staff were very friendly & helpful on our arrival.
The room we booked was a standard garden view room. The room was spacious,clean with plenty of hanging space and a huge bathroom.
The hotels pools are very good with plenty of chairs for the guests.
The breakfast is exceptionally good, fresh food with plentiful choice.
The location of Tanjung Benoa is quiet compared to Kuta,Legian or even Sanur for that matter but, there are still plenty of restaurants to try at lunch or the evening and a few shops for the shopaholics.
I have to say that had my son not been having his wedding reception here we would not have visited. However, we wouldn't hesitate to visit in the future.
On a side note, any one thinking of having their wedding here, based on our experience you will not be disappointed. Attentive staff & the food in particular was magnificent.
The only small drawback though was when the room was booked on the internet the rate is in US dollars. Please be aware that this is based on the hotels US dollar exchange rate and it may cost you a bit more than you think when it's time to check out.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,847)

Reviewed 19 October 2010

We have just arrived home after staying 13 nights at the Aston Bali Resort and Spa. Planning a wedding overseas was made alot easier thanks to the prompt emails we received from Dewi and Leony. We were treated very well by the friendly staff and they helped make our wedding day a most memorable occasion for not just us but also our family and friends that had had traveled from all over Australia to celebrate with us.
The place was exactly like the photos which surprised me. Our rooms were always kept clean by the hard working room attendants. We spent many hours relaxing by the pool where we were looked after by the lovely Aloha pool bar staff

Reviewed 18 October 2010

Very nice staff, clean rooms, very pleasant area! Nice big rooms with a view on the sea, very nice resort to stay. I spent there 8 days and was very satisfied! I recommend this hotel!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I dont know what happened, but after reading all the reviews on here i was really looking forward to a nice relaxing trip to Bali and staying at the Aston. We had already been with friends in April and stayed at the Holiday INN in Tuban and had a great time and the hotel and staff were amazing. After a very stressfull time with work and family, my partner surprised me with a trip to Bali from the 7th October for 6 nights. He told me only a couple of days before, and decided that we would stay in Nusa Dua as it was quieter and the beaches were nicer and a perfect place for me to detress and spend some time together.
On arrival at the hotel, we stepped out of the taxi and no one was there to greet us. We had to drag our own bags up a very steep incline and then was greeted by a very sallow lady at reception. We were told that our room was not ready and would have to come back at 2pm (it was 12.30pm). No help was given on where we could keep our bags, change our clothes etc. When i asked, she said she only had a toilet and pointed to it, then directed us to place our bags behind what looked like the porters desk.We went and got some food at the hotel restaurant (beers great, food not so good) and after eating, sat in the lobby until our room was ready. At around 2.30pm i went to the desk to see if it was ready, and it was. I was surprised that they could see us sitting there but didnt even come to let us know it was ready!! The hotel had no luggage carts so we had to again, take our own bags to our room as well as try to locate it.
I was impressed by the rooms and they are very spacious, with marvelllous bathrooms. I thought i holiday could only get better from here, but i was wrong! The hotel is shaped like a U and we were situated in the wing to the right of the lobby. If you are going to stay at the hotel request a room on the left wing!! We were supposed to have an ocean view room, but was told there was none available, so our room had a small balcony that overlooked an empty lot with garbage in it. Also the little garden bed was full of weeds and looked like it had not been maintained for a while. Later that afternoon loud balinese music began to play which at first was very pleasant, but by the second afternoon when you wanted to relax in your room out of the heat and have a nap, the music just couldnt be blocked out and played for about 4 hours straight!! On the 3rd day, they had chainsaws out hacking all the branches outside of our room, plus the music and i just couldnt take it anymore. This was not turning out to be a relaxing stay at all. I advised the front desk and they told me that had already moved several people that day because of the same complaints. We were lucky there was a room available on the other side of the hotel. This room was 100% better than the last and i cant tell you how much more peaceful this was...... unti the following morning!! On the mornin of the 11th October, loud speakers were set up in the lobby of the hotel, with someone speaking Balinese and shouting out into the street. We came out of our room to be confronted by out 200 Indonesian police in riot gear. I cannot tell you how frightening this was. They were blocking off the entrances and were 3 deep holding sheilds, and large guns. People were crying and staff were being dragged out of the hotel and placed into the armoured vehicles. All the guests in the hotel had no idea what was going on, and no one would tell us anything. We ended up locking ourselves in our room, wondering what the heck to do!! this lasted several hours. I eventually wanted to know if we were going to be safe, and what the actual situation was. I went to the front desk and approached one of the staff to see what was happening. She burst into tears and ran off!! Eventually another staff member advised that there had been a dispute amongst the owners of the hotel, and new owners were taking over. Apparently staff hadnt been paid, others were sacked, the maintance staff were carted away...... hence im thinking this was the reason for the icy reception and lack of attention we recieved.
On the day of our checkout of the hotel, part of the package was a 6pm checkout which our travel agent had arranged as our flight didnt leave till 9pm that night. We went to the front desk to confirm this, and they advised they couldnt honour it and we would need to checkout at 12pm. I showed them our paperwork, but this did not seem to matter. I emailed our travel agent in Perth to see if she could do anything, even try and get us a checkout at 3pm, but she did not have any luck either.
Overall, there are much better places to stay, as the breakfast was terrible and usually no where to sit, and the pool wasnt too relaxing as jet skis, boats etc were right there on the beach. Also its very expensive and takes forever to get anywhere as the traffic jams etc are very bad.

3  Thank Shell1980Doubleview
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My partner and I,We travel to Bali since 2003 we stayed at the Aston last month had the best time ever.Nothing went wrong.the breakfast was always fresh and delicious.the beach so relaxing,excelent pool ..We stayed IN ROOM 393 then on the fourth floor room432 I think just next to the presidential....great view of the ocean.From the windows were my best views
restaurants were all around and Everything was to our taste.
if only I could close my eyes and open them to see myself there again ...just dreaming...it's so far away ,but memories of Aston are always on my mind.
Loved it..guess left my heart in a little corner there.....

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Family friendly,service with a smile everyday,hotel staff were wonderful with advice on how to get around and the best tourist attractions for teenagers to visit.
The hotel transport to visit other villages and shopping ran frequently.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My wife and I spent an amazing honeymoon at Aston. The staff are all realy friendly and go out of their way to help you. The rooms are total luxury, the food is good quality and always fresh and the location is stunning! I have to travel quite often for business and have seen my fair share of hotels and motels and Aston is by far and away the best I've ever been to.
I would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
#11 of 62 in Jimbaran
Novotel Bali Benoa
Novotel Bali Benoa
#6 of 26 in Tanjung Benoa

Been to Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort? Share your experiences!