“Not a good hotel for us...”

Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
“Not a good hotel for us...”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The Grand Mirage is OK. The beach is nice and if you want to be in Nusa Dua then I am sure you could stay in worse places… BUT for us the pool was very average, the cocktails overpriced, the rooms were dated, and the resort tired looking and over crowded. Compared to other parts of Bali Nusa Dua lacked personality - it's just big resorts… and if you are have small children maybe this would be great, but for us it lacked opportunities to explore and really you could have been anywhere. I'd pay the extra money and stay somewhere much nicer if I was to go back to Nusa Dua again - but with all the other amazing hotels in other great locations in Bali, I don't think we will be back there anytime soon.

2 Thank Paige J
Juan Antonio S, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Mrs. Paige J.,
Thank you for staying with our resort. I am sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory. Let me clarify some points of your feedback. Our cocktail uses the high quality liquor which makes the price a bit higher than outside restaurant.

Our resort was decorated with traditional Balinese sense-of-art. I am sorry if this not your favorite resort style design. During your stay, we went through the school holiday season, therefore occupancies are fortunately in a good level, as these months are the high season for families.

I hope the issues will not draw you from coming back to Grand Mirage Resort.

Juan A. Sanchez, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed for 6 days in June  2014.

On a positive note the staff were very friendly and helpful as you would expect at a 5 star hotel. The one exception is that the leaving the private sign on your door will not stop them cleaning your room, annoying.

The food is gorgeous especially at the grill but we both got very sick for 48 hours after only eating at the hotel. My partner went to see the on site nurse who seemed more interested in recording bali belly statistics than anything else. We were not the only ones sick from the various buffets.

We had a very expensive ocean view suite, which was impressive size wise but very very tired. There was no ventilation in the bathroom and the paint was peeling and bubbling. Also the door was warped between bedroom and bathroom so very noisy/hard to open, not very romantic.
The water in all the rooms is brown. They give you bright coloured bath salts but it doesn't help. A shower leaves you dirtier than before.

The pool is very small and thick with children as they are not limited to a kids area. But as the ocean is filthy with floating trash you are pretty much stuck with the tiny pool despite the kiddy pee factor. We swam first thing in the morning which felt a little bit better.

The drinks. I can stomach most things but after three or four Mojitos my stomach started burning and I couldn't drink cocktails again for a week. The local spirits are very very bad. The advertised three hour premium spirits from 9-12 pm was okay but does not include cocktails. Only basic mixed drinks and there's a super loud, dated cover band playing which meant we couldn't hack it. The beer option bali Hai is okay but byo stubbie holders it gets warm very fast. And is served in plastic glasses which doesn't help.

Essentially this resort is designed for people with really young kids who only have time for a drink or two after nine pm. Not for couples or young people who want to unwind and pamper.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank jelistar
Dear Mrs. Jelistar,

I do apologize that your stay in our resort was imperfect. Thank you for your feedback, we have noted the points very well.

I feel sorry that you experienced stomachache during your stay here. Traveling to a different country with different time zone, water, weather and not been used to certain species, ingredients, may affect to a Bali belly symptoms. We cater daily food for over 700 customers and our food safety controls are well established on weekly and monthly basis and episodes of food poison is fortunately not happening in our hotel. Once again, we are very sorry if you suffered from this temporary symptom during your stay with us and this didn’t allow you to enjoy fully your holidays.

Our resort was designed with typical Balinese decoration to accentuate the artistic side of Bali. We are sorry if it did not meet your expectation. In regards to the bathroom door, paint and water, we have done immediate corrective action.

I am sorry for the inconveniences during your stay. I hope the issues did not deter you to come back to Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Bali again!

Haydock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed all inclusive for 10 nights. I enjoyed everything about this hotel, from the food, drinks, service to the very attentive staff, who could not do enough for you. I would recommend this hotel to anyone as it was great value for money.

Dear Mrs. Shazza6464,

Thank you for residing with us. I feel great that you had a wonderful birthday with us. Thank you for letting us be part of your special moment. I do appreciate your taking time to review our resort in Trip Advisor.
All the 500 staff will be more than happy to welcome you again!

Wayan Karta, Food & Beverage Manager at Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali
London, UK
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Why I gave this hotel 4 stars instead of 3 is the quality of the food and drink. We were All Inclusive but noticed that many guests were not. That meant that the presentation, variety and quality of the food at all the restaurants was very good. Likewise the cocktail list - we went through all 30 odd different types and they were properly done - which is a big plus for an AI resort. Service likewise was friendly and very efficient - I couldn't fault it. Rooms were large and comfortable - no issues there.

The problem the Grand Mirage has is its location. Tanjung Benoa is the tattier sister of Nusa Dua. All morning when the tide was high there was a constant drone of jet skis and speed boats like a water motorway with accompanying smell of diesel. In the afternoons when the tide was low, unless the beach had just been raked, there was a collection of rubbish with the flotsam and jetsam and seaweed on the sand. Swimming is therefore difficult because of tides and rubbish and most people avoided it. The Grand Mirage does its best with its grounds and pool but has this fundamental problem. The pool is small by, say, Egyptian/Mexican standards, but is well thought out in its design ie a large deep area which means children don't really venture there and people don't gather there to chat in large groups.

But there is still lots to do - the gym is well-equipped, there are two full size tennis courts which were virtually empty, the sea kayaking ocean tour (every day) was great fun - surfing waves on the sand bar. Likewise the path that runs from the Grand Mirage to Nusa Dua and beyond. This is about 7km long and you can be nosy and look at all the other resorts (Club Med had a proper TRAPEZE!!!). Also at the headland which has the large statues there is an awesome blowhole where the waves hit the headland and get funnelled up a fissure in the cliff and explode with some force over unsuspecting tourists. If you keep walking along, beyond the blow hole, the beach becomes a lot nicer, with softer sand, no water sports and better swimming. It's called Geger Beach and although there are resorts hemming in the beach area, they can't stop you walking along the beach and swimming. At the end there is a temple on a cliff top and a super place called Nusa Dua Beach Grill at the bottom of the hill leading up to the temple. Great for a beer and some lunch before walking back along the beach path!

Two warnings: While walking along the beach path you may be stopped by "researchers" who ask some customer research questions. They are trying to get you to visit a new hotel. Even if you politely decline, they will ring your hotel daily trying to persuade you under a variety of guises. The second warning is a general one which applies beyond Bali - only have a henna tattoo from a shack if you don't mind the design being left onto your skin permanently by the toxic cocktail of ingredients used or by your own allergic reaction to it.

If you're reading this review and you want to go somewhere in Bali which is serene, with a great pool and food and which is mostly child free - try Alila Ubud - which I've also reviewed.

In summary, the Grand MIrage is great as long as you don't expect too much serenity, or being able to swim in crystal clear waters from the beach. Definitely go AI.

Room Tip: Definitely go for an ocean view, if you are in a room facing the other side of the hotel ie the road...
1 Thank 770
Dear Valued Guest,

I am more than happy to learn that your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for sharing your holiday experience with our resort through the leading travel website, Trip Advisor.

If you would like to reserve your room prior to your next visit to Tanjung Benoa, I recommend you to book directly through our website, grandmirage.com where various inclusions are available such as free motorized water sport for every 3 night stay with all inclusive.

I will be more than happy to welcome you again!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Personally I found this hotel a relic of the 80's. Tired, run down and too big. The staff were horrible and the rooms stank of mould. We have stayed in so many hotels in Bali over our regular trips and this one was a huge disappointment. Extremely expensive too. Staff generally could not speak English and our cocktails were fruit juice with a tiny dash of alcohol! Our bed was two twins joined in the middle which is ok, but the head boards are attached to the wall so we had a headboard and then a huge gap with just a wall and power sockets for one persons head to hit! Every room is the same! We will never go back. Benoa beach is filthy - like Kuta 15 years ago. Not nice for an early morning walk!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Vanessa P,

I am sorry to learn that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Our resort was designed with a typical Balinese sense-of –art to exude the charm of this island. I regret if it did not meet your expectations. We have different room categories with different bed configuration, double, twin, and hollywood twins. We would have been more than happy to allocate you in any of your favorite ones.

Once again, I do apologize for the inconveniences. I hope the points above will not deter you to come back to Grand Mirage Resort.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at Grand Mirage for 4 nights in June 2014, The room we had was great, Deluxe Ocean View, it contained two double beds, and they also brought in an extra bed which my eldest son preferred away from the main room area and in the living room.
The rooms itself are a bit old, however it does cater to the more rustic side of Bali with more traditional furniture etc. Water felt yuck, filled a bathtub and the water was a slight yellow colour which was discerning.
The bar fridge itself only had 3 of everything, very hard when you travel with two kids as they were always fighting for the last one.Best to make staff aware of this, as you do end up paying for the children aswell, so mind as well.
Breakfast is ok. Overall Food was average We stayed at two other resorts before this so the variety of food was almost similar, quality of the food however is where it was noticeable. The food was just above average, but for the price you pay, you probably should receive better.

We were travelling as a family with 2 sons ages 3 and 7, so we did not get to have any alcohol, however was included with the package.

Kids club is a bit of a sham compared to Westin resort in Nusa Dua, the club itself is a small room with a few books, toys etc around, however not big enough to fit more than 10 kids. My son adored the Westin Kids Club and also The stones, this kids club he did not find interesting at all and passed.

We received vouchers for motorised water sports and later discovered the types of f Motorised watersports was already chosen, which was not great, and only received two of each voucher even though we paid for our children to stay as well (roughly around 50 - 60 USD extra per night)

We paid in IDR, they give you the total amount in USD, and when you arrive you get that amount converted to IDR using their banks exchange rate?? One big let down for me, was that they did not convert the amount at the point of the booking, but at the point that you check in, so you really will not be sure on how much you will acutally have to pay.

Over all we paid about $2000NZD for all inclusive package for 4 nights, and I would say it was not really worth it, we stayed elsewhere for much cheaper for the same length, and ate at the hotel numerous times, and our bill was still cheaper than what we paid at Grand Mirage.

If you are looking at going shopping or exploring, do not go all inclusive.

Also, do not do the sea walk, water was very murky and also very dirty. Could not see very far due to how cloudy the water was.

Room Tip: Always ask for corner rooms, otherwise, so for the Ocean Deluxe, very spacious espcially for family.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Raoh-el
Dear Mr. Raoh_L,
I am sorry that your stay with us was not perfect. Thank you for your constructive feedback toward our resort. I have carefully taken notes of your points and shared them among the respective department heads.

Let me explain some points. In regards to the water, we found that there was a problem on the pipe of your room, but this was fixed immediately.

The vouchers of non motorized water sport are only for adults as we consider that the kids’ age is still below the minimum age of the water sport safety rules which is 10 years old. Vouchers provided are for all the different motorized water sports: jetski, banana boats, speed boat. So far all our All Inclusive guests enjoy not only motorized water sport but also the non motorized ones.

The policy of our resort, being the same as in any other hotel located in a country with a weak currency value and accepting US$ as well, is that we use the exchange rate on the day of the transaction. For your next visit, I recommend you to consult our reservation staff or e-concierge if you would like to pay during the reservation process instead of during check in process.
Once again, I do apologize that you did not fully enjoy your holiday. I hope the issues will not deter you to come back to Grand Mirage Resort.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We transferred from the abysmal Club Bali (apparently a sister hotel under the same ownership!?) and the difference was amazing. Staff lovely and helpful, although often different members of staff gave different replies to the same questions. Management have their work cut out!
Food, whilst lovely was limited for choice (if you are used to staying in bigger places) but there was always a fair spread of options though if you stay longer than a week it gets repetitive.
Rooms are lovely, large and light with good facilities. Always cleaned well, though we did have to keep requesting towels as they never seem to be replaced. As non-drinkers, the 11am-11pm restriction on alcohol didn't affect us but it did some other couples. The resort was lovely chilled and there was none of the usually early drinking rowdiness of some other all inclusive holidays.
Non motorised water sports included and easy to take advantage of. There is a foot path that goes the complete length of the beach so you can walk for over 10 miles (there AND back) along some lovely varied beaches to the public park during the day as well as a few steps outside on the street to an amazing array of restaurants (TIP - turn left out of the entrance NOT RIGHT!)
If you are used to the excellent perfect service of some big chain hotels then take a deep breath and go with the flow. Each member of staff seems to have a different take on the availably options. There is only one pool bar but a great beach service, there is the main buffet restaurant, the grill (not impressed with the food there!), the Italian restaurant (restricted menu), or Chopsticks restaurant next door. There is afternoon tea served too. Only one pool but its a small hotel.
Overall had a great holiday, and the hotel was good not great but cannot fault the service of the management when we complained - they were 5 star and we only wish we'd made comments to improve things earlier. Definitely great for kids!

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms cost more and are over public area like the pool and open bar with entertainment...
2 Thank light_traveller33
Dear Mr. Light_traveller33,

I am glad to learn that your stay with us was wonderful. Thank you for staying with us. I appreciate your constructive feedback and I have taken good notes on it.

We are sorry that you had the feeling that different staff answered differently to your questions. We would like to know more about this order to be able to take action accordingly. We also do not fully understand your comments about restriction on alcohol from 11 am -11 pm which is not happening in our resort, since there is a wide range of alcoholic drinks served in our different outlets from 11 am to 1 am daily.

For your next visit, I recommend you to book directly via our website, grandmirage.com where various inclusions are available, such as free motorized water sport for every 3 night stay with all inclusive.

I look forward to welcoming you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Benoa
Melia Bali Indonesia
Melia Bali Indonesia
#15 of 54 in Nusa Dua
The Westin Resort Nusa Dua

Been to Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali? Share your experiences!