“All inclusive Bali”

Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We chose this hotel carefully, our criteria was all inclusive (as less chance of Bali beli, which I have had on each previous visit to Bali), luxury surroundings, good facilities for our 11 year old, good location. I was say we got what we ordered. I would probably pitch it as a 4* rather than 5* but overall was happy (and I'm fussy).

We booked an ocean view king suite as this had a lovely separate lounge area with a tv for my son who loved having his own space, it's worth noting that some of these rooms come with a second toilet which is not mentioned on the website but I would have booked if I'd known as this can be handy if someone is ill. The mini bar was refilled for free each day including beer. Our room had a four poster bed, beautiful view , tv and massive bathroom. Towels and toiletries were topped up twice a day which was great. Towels could have been fluffier but on the scale of things I thought that wasn't worth worrying about. Our air conditioning had an issue one day and we were offered a different suite or they could try and fix it. We said try and fix it, and by the time we got back to the room and took our shoes of there was a knock at the door and a man with a trolley full of air conditioning parts. 30 minutes later our air con had a new fan and was blowing lovely cool air.

My son was torn between the great kids tv channels and a mini bar full of coke and biscuits or the beach soccer and games room, he was obsessed with all the chess on offer.

There is a courtesy bus to the Bali collection shops, would have been nice to have had one to Kuta once a day but taxis aren't that expensive. Don't use hotel ones though, they charge almost double. Walk down street a bit and get a blue one.

Food didn't blow me away but that said my son loved Calimari at the Grill on beach and I loved the Italian which had an amazing service, amazing food but book in advance. I was really pleased to not have Bali Beli for once. Not sure about cocktails though, they could be improved. I did feel a bit off after drinking a creamy one. White wine is not bad at all.

I would recommend this resort, especially if you are a family and want somewhere family friendly where you won't get sick and has a lovely pool and beach. It won't fit everyone's criteria but it was perfect for me and my family.

Today is our last day and I'm glad I stayed here all inclusive, don't want to go home tomorrow as I look around me at paradise.

Ps cappuccinos aren't too bad and you can ask for one at breakfast as well.

Room Tip: Ocean view suite, (queen is one room, king one room with a separate lounge, could put a roller bed i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue F
Juan Antonio S, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Mrs. Sue F.,

I am more than happy to learn that your stay with us was wonderful. Thank you for sharing your holiday experience with our resort. All the 500 staffs were happy to be at your service.

For your next visit, I recommend you to book directly through our website where various inclusions are available such as free airport transfer for minimum 3 night stay with all inclusive.
Looking forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Grand mirage- what a disappointment
Like many previous reviews we booked the grand mirage based on the positive reviews and it's high star rating. We could not have been more disappointed, nor agree with the many negative reviews below more highly. The location and facilities of the resort are lovely. The beach views are beautiful and the pool is great catering to families and couples without children alike with plenty of room. That's pretty much where the positives stop. We arrived at 1pm as we'd come from another resort in seminyak. We knew we were early and were only too happy to wait until the 2pm check in time for our rooms. They knew we were there and sent us off to have a welcome drink while we waited. Come 2pm we went back to the check in desk, looking forward to getting settled in our rooms and exploring the resort for the afternoon. Only one room was ready ( we were travelling as a family with three rooms booked) and an expected indefinite wait for the other two. Their solution for this was for all of us to wait in the one room until they called us when the other rooms were ready. When we explained this didn't suit us as my 2 year old nephew needed a sleep and if we were all in one room this wouldn't happen( there was also no cot as requested in the room either) the desk staff were incredibly rude and unhelpful. We queried why, when they knew we were here at 1pm our rooms weren't ready and asked if perhaps we could have a free drink or be offered some lunch while we waited which we were refused until we argued persistently and were grudgingly given a lunch voucher ( shouldn't have bothered- just like the other reviews stated the food was very average and this was the only meal we had at the resort other than breakfast). At 3pm another room was ready but we still had to wait for our last one and staff could not explain why it was not ready. The poor service continued with staff giving mixed messages constantly, I got out of the shower one night to find that our used towels had been taken but not replaced and had to drip on the floor while we called for some more. The room service staff were intrusive and rude, particularly the nighttime service. The breakfast was pretty average- one of our group tried getting a 3min boiled egg, when he got to the table and cracked it open it was stone cold and hard. He took it back and the staff told him he must've gotten it from the other side. When he picked up two more and opened it in front of them finding the same thing they were confused and didn't offer any explanation as to why they were cold and overcooked. Empty dishes were slow to be replaced. The wifi is complimentary, but is incredibly slow, very inconsistent and often drops out.

The rooms themselves are a good size, we had ocean view and really enjoyed the view from the balcony. The bathroom is outdated and not very luxurious feeling as I would expect from a 5 star resort. It was difficult to get hot water, the two hot showers I had were in the middle of the day, any other time with the tap turned fully to hot all we got was lukewarm. Even at 230 in the morning when one of our group was sick all they could get was a cold shower. I would agree with the other reviews that the linen is tired. I've read the management replies and think what they fail to realise is that what makes a 5 star resort experience is the little things- like nice fluffy towels, whereas these were threadbare and very old feeling. There's also an open air theatre where they have entertainment each night. The downside to this is the noise carries across the resort and it often didn't finish until 10-11pm. It was so loud in our room one night we could hear every word of every song crystal clear and on another night we couldn't hear the tv over it. This is hard if you're trying to have an early night or are trying to get young kids to sleep.

We couldn't be happier that we decided against the all inclusive package. There are plenty of options for food and drinks surrounding the resort all of which are better priced and better quality! We often had lunch at the peninsula resort along the beach which was reasonably priced and good quality food. There are also plenty of nice restaurants along the street also at good Bali prices! Many of the spas along the street were quite dirty and gross looking, we found a great one though called home spa Bali which was a little more expensive than typical Bali spas (still only $15-20 aud for an hour massage) which was lovely and the staff there were fantastic. Much cheaper than the spa services offered at the mirage which are the usual expensive prices offered at a resort.

Overall we still had a nice time laying by the beach and relaxing- but it was definitely not because of the staff or the resort and I would certainly not recommend staying here or come back again.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Lozabella88

Dear Mrs. Lozabella88,

I am sorry that your stay with us was imperfect. We have tried our best to accommodate all our guests need including to clean all 301 rooms and suites from 8 am to 2 pm. I do apologize that you have to wait for more than an hour to check in.

I believe that our staff did not mean to be rude. I am sorry if the way they talked irritated you.
We did a preventive maintenance to our hot water pipe during your stay in the night time when disturbance would have less impact to our clients, and it was fixed within hours. It is working perfectly now. We are sorry that this caused disturbance to your friend´s night shower.
Grand Mirage Resort applies eco-friendly program, so that we will change the towels and linen if the green cards are put on them. Kindly rest assured that we do pay attention to all details of our resort. I am sorry if it did not meet your expectations.

I am sorry for the noise from our “under the stars” buffet night Entertainment that last until 10 pm 4 times per week. We would have been more than happy to allocate you in another room on the other wing which is quieter, if we had received your request.
Once again, I am sorry for the inconveniences, I hope the issues will not deter you to come back to Grand Mirage Resort

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The mirage has a good pool for kids with basketball hoop. Playground for little ones next to pool and big chess set. The kids room is great with play stations and pool tables and air hockey. The let down for us was the actual room. I think the website photos are of the suites.
We had garden view (carpark view).
Felt unclean, not five star, toilets not nice, brown water comes out taps. Bath old with stains.
We did ask if there was something else and although they were nice, there was nothing they could do.
The hotel needs an upgrade, if you look up at reception the ceiling is in need of repair!
Won't be staying again.
7 year old - 0

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Milovilo

Dear Mrs.Milovilo,

Thank you for posting your constructive feedback in Trip Advisor. I do apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. We ran full occupancy during your stay, therefore, we could not allocate you in another room. I do apologize for it. For your next visit, I recommend you to request for a nice room. We will be happy to allocate you with a better view.

Thanks for your comment about the ceiling in the Reception area. I personally together with the Chief Engineering have looked for the damage and finally we found it. I Have to recognize that took us a couple of minutes to find it due to its small size and difficult to see. Thanks for letting us know, schedule to fix it was done immediately. I appreciate your feedback. I hope the issues will not deter you to coming back to Grand Mirage and experience the true standards of our resort.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

10 days at this hotel. We have been to Bali 8 times now and always stayed up the road. But now we have a new 'home'! The hotel is quite gorgeous. Very spacious. 3 restaurants with 24 hour cafe. We spent long days in the huge pool and enjoyed the various activities like aqua aerobics that was offered. No need to go off the property at all. Various other restaurants nearby and supermarket accross the road. The currency exchange was fine and more secure to do at the hotel which offered a top rate without the stress of 'sharks'. Unlimited water sports, kyaking offered. Buffet breakfast was great each morning. We opted to have the bed and breakfast deal in an ocean view room on top floor. There are little markets on the grounds on the nights the hotel has the buffet dinners. Lots of activities for kids here with outdoor chess/kids pool/snooker tables/games room/gym. Beautiful hotel. Gorgeous and Huge sunny pool with swim up bar. The only down side was the other hotel had a free shuttle to Kuta leaving once per day and returning in the afternoon which was really popular. Although we only went in twice to Kuta for shopping it costs $8-$10 in a taxi from the hotel. Thoroughly recommend staying here - Beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr.Sparkles1957,

Thank you for staying with our resort. It is a pleasure for us to learn that you loved your 10-day romantic stay in our resort.

For your next visit, I recommend you to book directly through our website, grandmirage.com so that you can have a chance to win our weekly sweepstake such as free 3-night suite upgrade.
Once again, thank you for staying with us. I cannot wait to welcome you again!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

A slightly dated hotel but still shines in all aspects. The hotel staff were ultra helpful and friendly. Kids had a ball playing in the pool. Wife had daily yoga session by the beach. Breakfast was yummy. Kayak tour was fun as well. Not to mention the KING size bed is 30% wider than any King bed!! ALL good

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mr. Edmund W,

I am glad to hear that you fancy our hotel. Thank you for staying with Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Bali.

For your next visit, I recommend you to book directly through our website, grandmirage.com, so that you can have a chance to win our weekly sweepstake winner such as 3-night free upgrade to our Ocean View Suite.

I will be glad to meet you again in the future!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

One thing I was not told if you are only bed and breakfast not all inclusive you must pay 2million Indonesia dollars that's about £150 on arrival you neither pay in cash or give them your credit card and they will take that money off straight away and only put it back when you leave which takes 2 weeks by this time you are home also use $ as these are accepted everywhere, the hotel it's self is very nice the beach is a little crowded with motor sports so it's quite noisy. I was advised not to go all inclusive and that advise was right it's not worth the extra $75 approx a day each the restaurants are much cheaper an average 3 course meal with drinks is about £36 for two

Room Tip: The garden view faces the road which isn't a great problem except for motor bikes at 7am
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr. Lovesholiday,

Thank you for staying with our resort. It is a pleasure for us to learn that your stay was nice. Our all inclusive actually does not only include 3 courses meal with drinks, but also unlimited local alcoholic and premium brand beverages at starting from 9 pm, unlimited food in any of our restaurants, room service, minibar, a wide selection of activities including water sports, free airport transfer if you book via our website, and other attractive inclusions. Therefore the $75 difference is a good deal for the extensive inclusions in the package.

Once again, thank you for residing with us. I look forward to welcome you again!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The place is excellent for family holidays. It has access to nice beach, the pool is lovely for children.

We really like the room with beach view but the water heater is not too good at night & can't be used as hot water bathub.

The hotel has lot activities for family, we'll back to stay here with the family

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mr. Jerry B.,

Thank you for reviewing our resort on the top travel website, Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you had a comfortable stay in our resort. If you would like to book your room prior to your next stay, you can book directly through our official website, grandmirage.com where various inclusions are available such as free motorized watersport voucher for minimum 3 night stay with all inclusive.
Once again, thank you for residing with us. I look forward to welcoming you.

Best Regards,
Nyoman Nadha, Executive Assistant Manager at Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Benoa
Melia Bali
Melia Bali
#15 of 54 in Nusa Dua
The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali

Been to Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali? Share your experiences!