“Lovely Inn”

Ranked #3 of 3 Knowlton B&B and Inns
Cobourg, Canada
“Lovely Inn”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed here on our trip through the eastern townships. The area is just so beautiful in the fall. The room was small as was the bathroom, but it is still very pretty and you have to expect this in the older inns. The package we had included dinner and it was absolutely amazing. The creme brule was the best I have ever had! It was a really nice spot to stay and would love to return one day. It was very relaxing. The bar was quiet so we enjoyed a cocktail by the fire chatting with the chef and front clerk. Would recommend this to anyone travelling through the Eastern Townships...especially in the fall.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night in Victoria suite. Ok, room is tiny (Diamond Hilton member) but that is part of hotel's charm. Lots of history in the building and boutiques are just 5 minutes walking distance. We had diner and breakfast at dining room. Food was awesome and excellent service!!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pierre C
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I was going there for a romantic weekend-end with my husband. When we got to Lakeview inn, the guy at the reception was extremely rude. When we finally made it to the room, my husband and I decided that we were not going to sleep there as it was illogic to pay 145$ plus tax for a tiny room that stank and looked worse than a hostel.

We left immediately and had to pay 100$ for the cancellation fees. But I'd rather pay that then having to sleep in that horrible place.

This hotel is overpriced and what they are doing is wrong! Really a four star hotel when all they can get on trip advisor is a 2 1/2 and bad reviews!?

Don't go there, it's a waste of your time and money!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ulysse1951

Travellers are raving about these Knowlton hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Stayed one night here with my wife. Very much enjoyed the Victorian architecture, fire in the fireplace in the loby and super comfortable furniture. Very, very relaxing. Larry the manager was very friendly and even introduced us to someone at the inn from my hometown. That was such a treat!

The room was small but comfortable but the full sized bed a bit on the hard side. The staff were friendly and the breakfast excellent. The only downside was the price. I feel it was much to high for what was offered.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed at the Auberge Lakeview this past weekend, while the service in the hotel was ok, I was amazed at how poor the service in the dining room was. At $370 for a one night stay in the tinest room that ever was, with dinner for two, the hotel is more expensive than many much better hotels I've stayed at, and yet when I spoke to the desk clerk they make it seem like you should be grateful for getting such an amazing deal?

The hotel is quaint, but very old fashioned and it's obvious that there hasn't been any money invested in it for quite some time. However, the real problem was the dining room experience. The dining room is painfully old fashioned, with white gloved waiters and cloche covered dishes. This might be a quaintly enjoyable experience if the waiters weren't also unbelievably rude and hauty.

I had just gotten engaged that day was hoping for a special dinner when I booked the 5 course meal (a steal at $140 for 2 excluding drinks). Instead we were left standing at the entrance of the small, half full dining room for over 5 minutes looking like idiots while waiters buzzed back and forth doing their best to ignore us.

When the waiter finally deemed us worthy to seat, he was almost a caricature of a French waiter he was so snobby. I only wanted a beer and my girlfriend a cocktail, as we had been drinking champagne to celebrate earlier. The wine list borders on extortion... the cheapest bottle was $45 and THEY REFUSED TO SERVE BY THE GLASS!! When it became clear we weren't ordering wine, the absuredly rude waiter said that this wasn't some 30 minute dinner (presumably thinking I'm more used to a McDonald's drive through, even though I work for Le Cordon Bleu and know more about French cuisine than he does) and that we should order wine and could save the rest of the bottle and bring it up to our room if we didn't finish it. Ive heard of upselling but this was ridiculous. When one of the waiters brought bread, he actually picked up the wine list and put it in my hands, I was flabergasted, i'd never seen anything like it.

The one saving grace was that the food was quite good, however they had bizarre additional charges to the set menu, like an added charge of $18 to order a steak (even though it was priced on the menu the same as the dish I ordered??)

Overall the stay was not remotely worth the price, they must have bribed someone to get 4 diamonds with service like this.... Oh and they accidentally overcharged me by 40 dollars for the stay, a big overcharge in most hotels, but a drop in the bucket here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adam L
Voyageplus, General Manager at Auberge Lakeview, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Thank you for submiting a review on our auberge.
I see we did not meet your expectations. I am happy to see that you enjoyed the food.
I will certainly look into the matter regarding our waiter being rude.
Our prices are equal if not less to most auberges in the region.
Again, thank you for your comments . This helps us improve on our service.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I recently visited the Inn for nights. We immediately had to upgrade the room upon arrival as the room we had reserved was so small. I know its old but the rooms are small. The inn had a lot of nice pieces from the Victorian era and it was quaint. The upgrade set us back $150 for two nights. The biggest disappointment comes with the dining packages. The Friday night roast beef buffet is confusing and guests are left to fend for themselves holding food covers while another person (wife) serves food. The waiter did not explain anything to the guests and did not invite us to the buffet. Just an awkward situation. The waiter, is also the bar tender, and the maitre d, and probably the cook. Very under staffed and my wife finally got her glass of wine after the meal when he remembered she had ordered it. The dining experience in the main dining room the nest night was a complete overpriced disappointment. My wife was told that she could only purchase a bottle of wine and not a glass of wine as we did the night before. The meal was tasty but a rip off. We had the duck and you better eat some bread or you'll be hungry. KFC is a better option for poultry. You just feel like your being taken advantage of in the dining room. I though that the clerk (s) were very friendly and helpful, however when I mentioned to the check out clerk how disappointed I was with the previous evening experience, he said well "life is full of ups and downs." Not a very appropriate response for a place that charges $3 for a can of coke. Overall the place is in a nice location and it's a nice inn. The front desk staff and weekend waitress was very nice. I would not go back to this inn if we visit the Lake Brome area again. Not good value.

Room Tip: Do not expect the rooms to be "roomy." Reserve a suite on the balcony if your looking for...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2012

In April 2012 my husband and I held a celebration birthday party for 40 plus guests (family and friends) at the Auberge Lakeview Inn. It was a huge success!
The food was delicious (we had a buffet with the best roast beef ever and a vegetable lasagne for non-meat eaters plus all the extras, plus a desert buffet.) The staff was superb. Ten of the guests stayed over at the Inn and the rooms were nice as well. (Some rooms were quite small but we found them all to be clean and charming and comfortable.)
Dealing with Larry Smith, the General Manager of the Inn, was truly a pleasure. He made the planning easy and helped with every detail. (I would highly recommend dealing directly with Mr. Smith - very experienced and very helpful.) After the party was over, Mr. Smith entertained the guests that were staying over with stories of the Inn's history.) Fun!
I was a little hesitant because of some bad reviews on this site but all went so very, very well for us that we would recommend the Auberge Lakeview Inn without hesitation.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite small, but we found even the small ones to be clean and charming and comfortabl...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HappyPair627
, General Manager at Auberge Lakeview, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I was our pleasure to have guests such as yourselves,our staff enjoyed serving you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knowlton
Hotel Suites Lac-Brome
#1 of 3 in Knowlton
Auberge West Brome
Auberge West Brome
#1 of 1 in Brome

Been to Auberge Lakeview? Share your experiences!