“Beautifull hotel from Art Deco”

Vidago Palace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vidago
Lisbon, Portugal
“Beautifull hotel from Art Deco”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Hotel Vidago is one of those hotels that takes us back to another time in history (30's, Art Deco). Since is not located in the capital or in another city is the ideal place to relax from stress, for those who want to devote themselves to take care of their soul and their body, since it has a fabulous thermal spa, extraordinary people serving us and a beatifull garden.
For those who loves golf exists a huge golf course. Well I am not an expert in this matter, but it looks people there love it.
The hotel has a nice break-fast (buffet).
It is actually a sophisticated place with glamor and luxury.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 March 2013

loved it, its great.
rooms are very nice and comfortable, bathrooms are fancy.
Hotel is really beautiful, nice old restored building.
Spa is great, designed by world famous architect alvaro siza
grounds are pretty
its a palace for sure......
not that much to do in town, or at least when I was there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank the_odone
Boulder creek ca
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. We just loved it. We felt like been in a movie. People here are very friendly, food is great. Rooms are comfortable and the hotel is clean. The outside is amazing for walks or just relax. I really recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shake12
Colares, Lisboa, Portugal
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I went to Vidago for the Spa after an exhausting year. I couldn't have made a better choice for rest and relaxation. The Palace is beautiful, lovely grounds and the treatments are great.
I went solo and felt well looked after and the service and spa are impeccable.
The decoration is very pretty although the empty bookstands in the bedroom made the room look unfinished which is really a pity because the room and bathroom were comfy and well appointed.
The choice of movies to watch was also very poor.
I went during the week so it was lovely and quiet.
Breakfast is good, the lunch menu is rather limited especially if you want light healthy food and the restaurant is very good but quite expensive

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Paola A
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed in Vidago Palace for 4nights and we simply loved it! We were looking for a place to relax and despite the hotel was fully booked the service was superb, place is really beautiful and has large park around to walk, a Clarins SPA is at disposal for who loves treatmens and massages, two swimming pool, one of it outside with hot water (super nice!) including sauna and hamman. One nice restaurant for formal dinner, one for unformal light brunch and bar with selection of ligh dishes are at disposal of customers. At the end having everything there we never left the hotel until the last day, we were in a small paradise we didn't feel the need to see what outside, highly recommended for family with children, golf players, couples that want to spend a romantic weekend or week: definitively this place is for all!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 6 January 2013

And here we were, once again the year was coming to an end and we had still no NYE idea. Browsing magazines on the plane I come across an advertisement for the VIDAGO PALACE and their special NYE party in the style of the roaring 20s. Now, if this does not sound promising. A google hour (and Tripadvisor review study) later, I am convinced, Vidago it is. So we booked last minute and were lucky to get the last available suite, as the hotel was completely full. Good sign! After all, this is a hotel in the middle of nowhere, somewhere North of Porto, almost at the border to Spain. Portuguese countryside. My husband and I arrived with mixed feelings. Will this be nice. Will this be cheesy. Will we like the room, the food... And will we for once have an exciting NYE? Our anxiety melted away as soon we crossed the gates to the splendid palace park and there she was, the Grand Dame Vidago bathed in a soft salmon hue. What majestic beauty. Awed I got out of the car and feeling like a Princess, made my way up the grand stairs to the foyer. Welcomed at an old Parisian kiosk like reception, my husband signed us in while I flicked through the oversized guest book, astonished by countless of raving comments. Our suite is located on the 1. floor, just above the entrance giving unhindered views to the serene park. Even now in Winter, with all the trees dark and sleepy, the park beholds a rare magic. Our suite is beautiful, the bathroom elegant and the walk in closet (room) perfect for fashionable couples. No fighting for space this time. I appreciate a beautifully arranged bouquet of flowers, the chilled bubbly and a tray of fresh fruit, while my husband checks the gadgets. Pretty high-tech stuff in such old palace, everything is controlled electronically from wall mounted control panels. Open curtains, turn down the lights, listen to music, welcome 007. There is a dancing lesson starting in 1hour the bell boy advises and excited we get changed, have a sip of sparkling and make our way down. Taking a little sightseeing tour through the palace we are absolutely smitten. Refurbished only 2 years ago the hotel is a winner. Refined and somewhat bold the interior designer shows great taste. We make our way downstairs to the dancing school -Charleston time. And like 2 excited kids we join the crowd, a wonderful mix of young and old, hopping around 20's style. Gosh, it is exhausting! Dinner is served in the marvelous breakfast room (the main hall is prepared for NYE) and my Gourmet husband cannot stop praising his duck. The food is absolutely divine. When we fall into our fluffy bed we are simply happy. The good does not end, as the NYE party is amazing. Everyone is dressed in Great Gatsby style, the band playing old time records and of course, the FOOD....MHHHHH... And then it was 2013, just like that and everyone showed off their new dancing skills. I somehow was reminded of the movie "Dirty Dancing", but sadly Patrick did not pass by. The next day we took a refreshing walk through the parkland, enjoying the blissful quiet and the soothing sounds of nature followed by an hour of relaxing massage at the Spa. Perfect beginning of a New Year. We both were sad when we left the Vidago, fantasizing what it would be like to move in permanently...
There are just 2 things that did not agree with me. The electronic controls in the room and the back of the TV emit a dimmed light at night which is enough to disrupt sleep. It took me 2 nights before I invented the perfect gadget cover-ups.
The spa and the pool area are very modern and cold. Yes, it could be called interesting, the mix of old and new, but I did not like it at all. Even though I love water and always jump into everything wet, I did not use the pool. The lighting and the soullessness of the ambiance just turned me away. My husband also slipped very badly on the wet marble floor which is extremely dangerous.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Butterfly-lane
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 23 December 2012

When we arrived there we did not know that much about the place.For ourselves was a pleasure surprise to discover all beauty of the hotel (or palace).
All in this hotel simply perfect! We were feeling ourselves as spoiled children:)
The golf course is amazing! We enjoyed a lot our round!Staff in the pro-shop is very kind and efficient.
I suggest to have a dinner at the restaurant of the hotel.For few hours I felt myself some -ty years back in the time and all was delicious.
It was really sad to leave such a wonderful place,hope to go again in the future!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marishkam75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vidago
Primavera Perfume Hotel
Pedras Salgadas Spa & Nature Park
Solar de Oura
Solar de Oura
#1 of 1 in Vidago

Been to Vidago Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!