“Sunsets and Beach House what more do you want.”

Main Islander On The Beach Holiday Properties
Auckland
“Sunsets and Beach House what more do you want.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

Two villas called the Sunset Villas are placed on the westside of the island, across the road is a beautiful beach that is excellent for swimming. The one at the front, the Emil is closer to the road so has a better view of the beach but you do get to see more of the road users as well. Generous decking and covered allows you to have protection from the sun which means you can spend most of the time outside on the decking area on the furniture provided. A good place to watch the sun go down with a glass of wine. Villas are tidy, clean and comfortable. The property is well maintained and the owners Jeff and Tia are very accomodating. We were looking for a longer stay in Rarotonga so the cost and location etc represented good value for money. Great location and a comfortable enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steadyfreddy

Business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

We enjoyed our 5 night stay at Main Islander - with one exception: mosquitoes! Strangely, this large, ocean-facing beach house does not have screens. While this was not a problem in the daytime, at dusk, well, slather on the insect-repellent (with Deet). The assets of this rental property are a spacious bedroom with a wonderful floor to ceiling picture window facing Rarotonga's lagoon, and a comfortable king-sized bed. There is a full kitchen, dining area, and big patio. Very nice for just lounging and taking in the view of the lagoon and breakers beyond. You rarely see anyone else on the beach. There are some friendly 'beach dogs' that seem to have no particular owner on Rarotonga, but will provide nice walking companionship for your beach strolls.
The house is in some ways basic-beach cabin and the second bedroom is minimal but it otherwise lives up to on-line descriptions. We rented through a NZ-based rental company but you can rent from the owners, Geoff and Tia Bergin, directly. They are as nice and helpful as can be. Now if only they would put in some screens it would be perfect....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

I stayed at the Sunset Villas and bungalows and it was amazing. Owners Geoff and Tia were so helpful providing fresh fruit and even DVDs. The property is so perfect, it it right across from the beach and has a spacious living room, full size kitchen, separate bedroom and bathroom. Outdoors is a secluded sunbathing area with a plunge bath (perfect for cooling off) and a covered veranda just in the right spot to watch the sun set.
I have stayed in hotels on the island and can definitely recommend this villa if you want to have a relaxing and restful holiday. When I return to Rarotonga I will definitely stay here again

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank bowjoh
wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

My partner and I were most impressed with the Main Islander on the beach house - and it was a perfect place to spend the 10 days together in Rarotonga.

The view out that window is better than the photos suggest people, it is truely amazing to lie in that giant comfy bed and watch the waves pound on the reef.

I suspect the fish life right outside the house is better than or as good as the the popularly suggested Muri or Fruit-of-raro haunts - I saw something new EVERY time I went snorkling, and I did this every day (sometimes several times). Luxury indeed to be able to step from warm sea to warm shower in a few seconds. Look out for the patch of orange coloured coral just off shore, the family of hum-bug fish in there are so so cute. Also look out for the moray eel not so far away - he's not so cute! If you take bread with you, the fish will surround you in a riot of color untill they have knibbled it (and yr fingers if you let them) away. Its a magic experiance that everyone should experiance.

Kayaks are awesum fun - and if you want to you can surf them on the waves near the reef - (just be careful, falling off would hurt!)

We spent every evening watching the sunset from the lawn with a wine glass in one hand, and our partners hand in the other, it was a special time we will remember forever. The sun didnt appear for only 2 of the 10 with 3 or 4 of them being jaw-droppingly stunning.

The BBQ on the deck was our evening focus for most of the time, with the fresh tuna getting prize billing several times. (If you are coming from Ausse or NZ, you might consider doing what we did and importing meat surplies in a chilly-bin - the choice for the BBQ is a little limited otherwise.)

Geoff was an excellent host (we never meet Tia) - apart from the delivery service from the airport to the house when we arrived, he only came around to the property when we asked him to , but was instantly accesable by phone otherwise - not that we had to call him much. A call to him that the fans were a little noisy one morning had him on the doorstep with 3 new ones in hand within a couple of hours!

Security conerns in other posts on this forum have been attended to. The property has locks on all the doors and windows, and a key-pad operated safe has been fitted for occupants to secure valuables.

I have only one minor niggle, and a work around for it. I expected there to be a way to play music of my choice , and was dissapointed not to find a sound system that I could do that on. I did find however, that luckily the connecting cable I had bought with me to allow my ipod to connect to a stereo, functioned just fine into the TV! A liitle unconventional, but it did the job.

I would not hestitate to return to rarotonga, and when I do (thats when, not if...), would certainly contact Geoff and Tia for accomodation again.

Its funny -, I ticked truthfully "No" to most of the ammenities in the list below, but in doing so I regard most of them as undesirable in a place like that anyway - just why would you want a swimming pool with a lagoon like that on the end of the lawn, and a buisines centre and high speed internet is what I went there to get away from !

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
New Delhi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

We stayed in the Sunset Beach Resort and Villa (one of the properties of Main Islander on the Beach) for our honeymoon. After 2 days of our stay a maid came to service the villa and left a very very nasty letter for us giving us instructions and after that the owner- Jeff came at a weird time when me and my husband were resting, woke us up rudely and started yelling at us as to y the dishes werent done and why our clothes were scattered in the villa!! He even called us "SLUMDOGS" because we are from India. On the date of our departure when we were leaving he was nowhere to be found and he also had a copy of our credit card swipe. So we went to his other property assuming he would be there but he was not there so the people staying there let us use the phone there to call Jeff up. Jeff however started abusing us and misbehaved with us. He abused my husband in person and on the phone. I am sorry but he does not deserve to run a beautiful property in a beautiful place where everyone was so very nice to us and the general environment is so pleasant. I would not recommend this place to anyone not because the place lacks in any way but purely because of the owner of this property who clearly does not know hoe to deal with is guests.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Delhigirl25
belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

We stayed in March 2009 for ten days and i only have great word to say about this place! From the moment you walk into the garden and see the beautiful sea at your foot steps to the evenings watching the beautiful sun sets! The house is very roomy and the free snorkling and kayaks were an added bonus. There is a maid service and the owners Geoff and Tia are more than helpful! I would recommend this to those who seek peace and quiet in paradise! Nedia & Anthony

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

This property and its adjoinging partner are in a fantatic location on an isolated beach. It is perfect for couples or a group of friends. We rented both properties for a group of 6. Scooters are a must to get around on and for some independance.BUT....be aware, there is no security at either of these properties for your valuables. Both properties were broken into while we stayed there and according to the local police, this was not an "isolated" incident. There are other reviews on the internet about such burglaries. No safes have ever been fitted, and still are not to this day even though guests get burgled!!! Hmmmn, it does make you think.
Saying that, Rarotonga is one of the few Gems left in the world, although it too is started to be influence by the outside world. Go while you can, stay at this property but be careful. Demand a safe for your valuables, the owners are going to have to do it sooner or later.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Matty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vaimaanga
Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach
The Edgewater Resort & Spa
Manuia Beach Resort
Manuia Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Arorangi

Been to Main Islander On The Beach Holiday Properties? Share your experiences!