We found Palm Grove to be one of the better hotels on the island, certainly with the best beach and snorkeling. Beach had maybe 8 people on it not including us, and we went during both Raro and NZ spring breaks/holiday. Normally I drive everywhere looking for the best snorkel but no need, it was in front of the hotel. Literally.
Corresponded with Joann (manager of the property) and she was exceptionally helpful in booking the stay , as well as planning dinners, cars, bike rental, day trip to Aitutaki (MUST DO!).
We had a garden room, Joanne helped get 3 beds so the family was comfortable (kids didnt have to share for a change). Each room is like a little villa, you do not share walls with anyone else. G12 was our room, and that side is quiet and restful. I think the units by the pool would be less so. The on teh beach units are wonderful, I would book those next time rather than staying at any other hotel. You can hear the roar of the waves on the reef right from your room.
Our Garden room was simplistic yet very functional. We are used to staying at 4 Seasons resorts but found no issues with Palm Grove rooms. Quiet, safe, relaxing, totally functional with kitchen, fridge, sink, microwave, full bathroom, separate adults vs kids sleeping area, patio off back with view of garden and mountain. Very nice. I think the hotel is listed as 3.5 stars out of 5 in terms of luxury, and that is fair. This isnt 4 Seasons, nor does it pretend to be or charge you for being something it isnt. I gave 5 stars knowing now this is the BEST 3-4 star value on the island.
Breakfast was fine, a bit too basic for our desires but it's free, or the store and a shop 5 min walk for more food.
Dinner on site was really good. Friday night happy hour is a must do.
Free use of snorkel gear (they have TONS of gear, no need to bring your own as I did), and kayaks . There are lounge chairs on the beach to use too.
Did I mention how incredible the beach is??
Thanks Joanne and Palm Grove, see you again in a few years if not sooner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the enchanting area of Vaimaanga on the stunning southern coast, Palm Grove enjoys the tranquility of one of the best locations on Rarotonga. 26 individual bungalows are scattered over 5 acres of landscaped beachfront and garden property. Bungalows are available in studio to 3-bedroom layout and feature kingsize beds, kitchen facilities, aircon, flatscreen TV, and private patio/balcony. Property amenities include our onsite restaurant and bar, swimming pool, guest BBQ, laundry facility, tour desk, and motorbike rentals. All guests receive complimentary daily tropical breakfast buffet and use of kayaks, snorkel equipment, beach chairs and beach towels. Welcome to Palm Grove, your private piece of paradise! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Palm Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palm Grove Hotel Vaimaanga
- Palm Grove Rarotonga, Cook Islands