“Blooming Good..”

Manna from Devon Cooking School
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Kingswear
More attraction details
Owner description: A family run cooking school established in 2006 and overlooking the River Dart. We specialise in Bread, Fish, Mediterranean and Asian Cuisines and Wood-fired Oven Cooking. Holiday times will feature Family Classes aimed at inspiring youngsters to cook.Our classes are small, friendly, very much hands on and designed to inspire both budding and experienced cooks to explore new areas and expand their repertoires.
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Some work colleagues bought me a day on the Success with Bread course which I went to yesterday - this course is blooming great. Holly and David gave us a really warm welcome and the atmosphere was just what I wanted - informal and friendly, it was like being in a friend's house. We made a variety of breads, including a batch of Chelsea buns, and although it's not even 24 hours since I got home, most of it has been eaten...!David is a fab and patient teacher and, having learnt the basics, I'm itching to get started with making my own bread.

There are a whole load of other courses, especially the Essential ones, that Manna from Devon do and I'd love to go on lots of them such as knife skills and flat breads and Italian and curry sauces etc etc - David and Holly, have you got room for an apprentice??

1  Thank MillyMollyMandyDevon
David J, Owner at Manna from Devon Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Hi Mandy, thanks again for joining on Saturday and many thanks for your review. Hopefully you'll be able to put it all into practice very soon. Best wishes, David

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at Manna from Devon for 2 days in september 2013 as part of my partners birthday celebrations.
We arrived to a friendly welcome from Holly and were shown to our lovely bright room overlooking the river dart.
Our room was clean and comfortable and the shower was great which is always good.
We did the basic bread making and the italian bread course both of which were great fun and very comprehensive with tea/coffee/water if you needed them at any time.
Our teacher David was good fun and certainly knew his wholemeal from his double zero!
Dartmouth is just across the river by ferry which runs all day and as late as 11pm.
All in all it was a really good two days which I would recommend to anyone.
Thanks Dave and Holly

Reviewed 26 June 2013

As a Master student of the Slow Food University in Bra/Italy we've been hosted by Holly and David for one whole week. Their in depth knowledge of the local food scene, as well as their wonderful cooking was amazing. We enjoyed every single minute with both of them. David is a hero of bred making and I think, next to Holly and his two dogs, it's his wood-fired ovens that he loves most:-). Thank you very much for this beautiful week.

davidjones943, Owner at Manna from Devon Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Hi Chris, many thanks for the review. It was a pleasure having you all here and showing you the gastronomic delights of Devon. Best wishes, David

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I bought the course for my husband, after he'd built a 'pizza oven' in the garden. The course was completely beyond our expectations! We knew we should be able to cook more than just pizzas but we came away with a world of possibilities!

The course ran from 10am-5pm, during which time David and Holly taught us everything; from how to start the fire and control the temperature, to making dough, and cooking (to perfection!) vegetables, pork belly, fish, scallops, calamari, pizzas, chicken, potatoes, bread and cake!

The course was so in depth, yet informal and enjoyable! We all got hand on experience and plenty of opportunities to ask specific questions. The best part, of course, was getting to taste everything we cooked! There really is nothing like the taste of wood fired cooking!

We were so inspired we recreated a 5 course meal for our friends the following day! Our 'pizza' oven has now become a very versatile wood fired oven that we are excited to keep experimenting with, we couldn't recommend this course enough!

davidjones943, Owner at Manna from Devon Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Hi Laura, many thanks for the review. I'm delighted you found the class so helpful and wish you many happy hours cooking with your oven. Best wishes, david

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have just spent a fantastic day with my granddaughter at Manna from Heaven on a course for bread making and pasta creation.........
The class was small in numbers , perfect environment to learn some new skills and techniques, and with delightful company too....we were joined by Helga and her twin daughters and their friend.
The class were encouraged to get involved with every aspect of the bread making, we made focaccia, brown baguettes, and a delicious orange and vanilla sweet bread rather likened to brioche. We also used some of the focaccia to make two very tasty pizzas for lunch....
Then it was on to making yellow and red pasta to make delicious ravioli and tagliatelle.
The sauces were a gorgeous butternut squash and ricotta based filling for the ravioli, a basil pesto and a bacon , tomato, olive and peppers sauce too for the tagliatelle. We were then encouraged to try some of our fresh tasty bread and also the three pasta dishes...really scrummy, at the end of a perfect day in which my granddaughter tried olives and butternut squash for the first time and enjoyed both....
Throughout the day it was a revelation to see all the girls not only cooking but enthusiastically cleaning up as they went and with gusto too.......

I would unreservedly recommend the course to anyone and I will hopefully be trying another one or two in the future, I have my eye on the Thai and Mediterranean.......watch this space for the reviews!

davidjones943, Owner at Manna from Devon Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Hi Steve, many thanks for your review. It was a pleasure meeting you and Hannah. Best wishes, David