Mill Ridge Secluded Cottages
  • Beachfront
Tudor Oaks Motel(Mangawhai)
Laharan Retreat(Mangawhai)
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 November 2009

We didn't really know where we wanted to stay during our recent holiday to New Zealand, but we knew we wanted to stay in a cottage somewhere. I stumbled upon the listing for Mill Ridge Cottages on here and a quick look at their comprehensive website was enough to convince me that this would be a good place to stay. Online booking with instant confirmation was quick and easy.

The drive from Auckland airport took us about 2hrs40 minutes, although we did get stuck in rush hour traffic on the way through Auckland city. Millridge was easy to find using the directions provided on the website. One thing to note is that if you intend arriving after around 7pm, you will probably find the local shops closed so I would recommend buying some bread/milk etc on your way.

On arrival, we were quickly shown to our cottage and given a quick tour of the facilities. I was travelling with a friend, so we chose the 2 bedroomed "Punga" cottage so we would have a bedroom each. This pretty wooden building is located just over the top of the hill and away from the road. If you want total peace and quiet with spectacular scenery, this is the place to stay. There was a fantastic large decked sunny balcony at the front looking out across the valley, with chairs and tables and a BBQ. Inside, the cottage was decorated in a very modern style yet still had a cosy feel. The kitchen looked brand new and was well equipped with a dishwasher, microwave, oven and huge fridge freezer. There was a large bathroom with a walk in shower (no bath) and washing machine/tumble dryer. Sky satellite TV was provided in the lounge and one of the bedrooms, and there was also a DVD player in the lounge. Beds were very comfortable with cool cotton sheets and there was even an electric under blanket for chilly nights (although I didn't need to use it).

Almost forgot to mention the lovely Alison who owns/runs Mill Ridge. During my stay, I wasn't too well and Alison was a great help booking a doctor's appointment for me. We were made to feel really welcome and that nothing was too much trouble.

The nearest beach is a scenic 5 minute drive away in Mangawhai. We spent a lot of time just driving around admiring the view. New Zealand is a great place for a driving holiday- we couldn't believe how quiet the roads were compared to the UK!! I would especially recommend driving north to the Bay of Islands for the day. On the way we stopped at the Helena Bay Gallery and Cafe http://www.galleryhelenabay.co.nz for lunch. The food was great and the view from high up in the hills was superb. The gallery had some lovely home produced art at reasonable prices too. Also, I would recommend the Beach House restaurant in Waipu http://www.thebeachhouserestaurant.co.nz, about 15minutes drive away. It isn't a big place so you need book in advance, but the food was great- especially the Fish and Chips. It's not easy to find though, as it's located behind a motel just off the road.

My only (small) criticism of Mill Ridge was that we couldn't get Wi-Fi internet in our cottage because we were just out of sight of the transmitter in the office. This wasn't really a problem though, as we could either sit outside the office under the porch or in the car if we wanted to use it. The other 2 cottages don't have this problem as they are adjacent to the office. It certainly didn't spoil our stay and you won't find many places to stay in the area that have any internet at all let alone for free!

Overall, we had a great time and I would definitely recommend Mill Ridge to anybody looking for a relaxing holiday. I hope to return one day!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2009

If you want to get away from it all, I couldn't recommend this more. A haven of tranquillity, with wonderfully helpful staff---if you need them. Superb beaches, walks, kayaking, surfing and food all close to hand.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple