“Bennetts Cafe”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Visited on a Monday for morning tea. It is in the Chocolate factory. Incredible range of (expensive) chocolate but an amazing range and you can view it being made. The cafe was warm with an open fire and had a courtyard area. Good range of good food and prices were reasonable. More importantly, the coffee was good. Recommended.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a loverly brunch here with friends who are locals, the scrambled eggs and the omelette were great good portions and well presented, the onion jam and mahoe cheese filling in the omelette really made it stand out. The staff were really attentive and the food came really quickly, but I am glad I dressed warmly as the place was really cool even with the fire going.amazing chocolate next door that is really nice but you need a new mortgage to pay the rates they charge.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I ate here twice while I was working in Mangawhai. It is one of the only decent places within walking distance of the Saturday market. I found that they don't have much for vegetarians, so I ended up having the vegetarian sandwich both times. It was one of the better roasted veggie sandwiches I had in NZ, but it was extremely overpriced for a small sandwich and nothing else. I also tried the 70% dark chocolate from the factory and found it quite average. The cafe was always busy, so I'm sure the other food is great. Nice ambiance and the outdoor seating is nice on a sunny day.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We loved this shop and it's courtyard. Sorry we only had time to stop for coffee. Our last day in Mangawhai so would not be able to take chocolate with us on the plane to Sydney - they are Ferocious at customs there. Never mind another time, we will definately visit again.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

First i want to say that Bennetts is a beautiful cafe. However, apparently before Bennetts was runner -up for best cafe in 2011, it was reasonably priced. Now the costs of food/ drinks is fairly high. I LOVE the Benetts hot chocs and mochas but tbh I have now been there twice and the novelty has worn off. While a beautiful setting with the ambience of an Italian Cafe, the overpriced items are a major turn off. Also the wait staff are fairly average (young girls with little experience probably hired so the owner doesnt have to pay them much). Also, dont order any display food, there was a fly on a bun and I saw a worker remove the fly and leave the bun to be bought. Off putting!