“A five-star system reboot”

The Farm at San Benito
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lipa City
Metro Manila
“A five-star system reboot”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I find myself sitting in one of the benches under the glorious mango tree, its branches widely outstretched, coiled with cascading tendrils of vine. I relish the cool breeze and the holy hush of verdant scenery and catch myself wondering why it took me this long to return. I lament my overindulgence during the holiday season and look forward to giving my system a reboot, here at what is considered to be one of the top wellness sanctuaries in Asia—The Farm at San Benito.

Appropriately, my schedule begins with colema. Out with the old, in with the new. I expect it to be a breeze; after all, I have done the five-day detox a couple of years ago, with alternate days of colema and colonics. Alas, my heavy meal the previous night takes its toll. I have gas pains all over. When the procedure is over, my knees feel like jelly. The therapist gives me four tablets of bioplasma (to be dissolved under the tongue for optimal absorption) to replenish the nutrients that were flushed out during the procedure. Slowly, I make my way back to the clinic. I take the warm ginger lemon tea given me and settle on a sofa with a hot compress on my belly. Cocooned in this warmth, I rest with the thought that I am being good to my body.

I want to allow my digestive tracts to rest some more (and prime my appetite for a good meal) so instead of having my lunch at the usual hour, I participate in a tai chi class. An elderly French couple is already at the amphitheater. I take my place in one of the mats and try to keep up. Alicia Keys’s New York is in the playlist. The instructor makes sure we keep up with the beat. After 45 minutes, I am sweating, not out of breath but definitely feeling my quads and hamstrings. I relish the final stretches.

I didn’t know exactly what to expect from food labeled as raw, except perhaps for the usual salads and fresh fruits. Unknown to me, I was going to have one of the best meals of my life, raw or otherwise. But after only a spoonful of corn, ginger and lemongrass soup, I know I am in for something special. The soup is richly flavored, not too thick but smooth and impeccably spiced.

The jicama slaw is garden fresh, punctured by the lovely texture and subtle sweet and heat of the spicy macadamia.

I order the entrée sampler. The use of fresh coconut meat instead of the usual heart of palm put the spring back in spring rolls—drizzled with sweet chilli sauce, it was a perky bundle. I unwrap the tamales to find the staple of almost every meal, rice, of the sticky variety, steam-softened and subtly seasoned, hitting all the buttons that define comfort food.

Then finally, dessert is served. I thought I could no longer manage but I underestimate this chocolate (sundae) on chocolate (chip ice cream) combination, lavishly strewn with candied nuts and mango bits. I take one spoonful after another, until I realize that I have nothing left to take a photo of but a chocolate-streaked dessert glass.

The next day, I make plans to use the rebounder at the Jungle Gym but opt to relish the little time I have left in my lovely Garden Villa. In bed, I disappear completely under the sheets, hearing only a hush of the fountain from my very own garden as I drift back to sleep.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank siwanderwoman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Everything was perfect, except i caught the MD who did my Live blood analysis smoking in one of the palmera rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank lanilagman
Reviewed 11 June 2012

On my birthday this year, I decided to forgo all the usual overeating, overindulgece so often associated with the ocassion & treat myself to a body& soul cleansing health retreat at The Farm. And boy am I glad I did so! After a 7D/6N detox programme, I came away 2 kilos lighter but more importantly, i gained a new consciousness towards my overall Wellness. This was just what I needed to restart my ambition of a healthful lifestyle!
Big thank you to Jennifer & all the staff of the estate. Each& everyone of you have been absolutely perfect. Oh so accommodating& attentive to your guests every need but yet remaining completely unintrusive & unimposing. Special mention to Cleo- you are a darling for making an otherwise awkward experience totally relaxed& even enjoyable! You are a gem! Also, our thanks to the lovely therapists at The Spa. Your various treatments were truly unforgettable & we are so looking forward to your pampering again next year! My partner& I would like to say a big thank you to everyone at The Farm once more& we look forward to visiting you again next year!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank msjaniceang
Lipa City, Lipa, Philippines
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I'm a frequent visitor of this not so secret get- away in the heart of Lipa. Recalling my first time here, i would drop my jaw to a place I thought resembles those in Bali. Serene. That's the first word you could have in mind. There are many other things that The farm offers,Their world class holistic approach in healing, from their famous raw, organic vegan cuisine to the most elaborate procedure of cleansing both the body and mind. Going back to your hectic, stressful, not to say toxic lifestyle as a totally new person from The Farm's fantastic fusion of physical and mind healing would clear you up as to say a new you. Cheers!! A wonderful and exceptional group of people will take care of you and you'll forget that you are just about 2 hours away to Manila. How about that?

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Gabby B
manila
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Tried the hilot haplos treatment - oooo, excellent! Ask for Evelyn. Her strokes are not like the usual, run-off-the mill type. She concentrated on the tight areas on my neck, shoulder, lower back. This treatment starts off with a scrub (chocolate/ cocoa base), a warm soak in an outdoor tub filled with pure coconut milk (special tea served), and next is massage proper. Pricey at P8000 ++ ($200) for a single treatment, but you will not regret it.

Venue was tranquil with a lot of scenic spots where you can write on your journal or continue typing away on yyour laptop for that next best-selling novel. Lots of greens around, upscale interior, organic / fresh / healthy food served at their Alive Restaurant.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NorthStarManila
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My husband and I went to The Farm for some badly-needed R&R. It took us only 1.5 hours to get to the place from Manila and since they provided a map, it was a breeze. There was just a point, very near The Farm, where I was wondering if we were going to the right place because the route was carved right in the middle of the forest. I was pleasantly surprised when we entered their gates. This extraordinarily serene and beautiful place really IS in the middle of the forest. The grounds are amazing! With ducks, peacocks and goats freely roaming amidst the beautiful landscaping.

We were given welcome drinks of pure coconut water. Since we got there during afternoon tea, we were also able to have some merienda treats like pichi-pichi, fruitcake-like bread and coffee. After snacks, we were accompanied to our Sulu Terrace hut.

The Sulu Terrace is the least expensive of their accommodations. It's a single-detached hut that provides ample privacy from your "neighbors". The room is on the 2nd floor. They provide each hut with 2 twin beds. If you're a couple like us, you can just combine the 2 beds together into a queen-sized bed. The room smells really nice and the sheets are very clean. They only provide 1 goose down pillow per guest, though, and the rest are throw pillows you wouldn't really use as sleeping pillows. The room also has a split-type air conditioner and you can adjust the thermostat. They provide an electric kettle, hair dryer, safe, water and free "Pito-pito" tea.

The downside to the Sulu Terrace is that the bathroom is outside the room on the ground floor. The weather was pretty good during our stay but if it were raining, it would have been a problem and such a hassle going to the bathroom (even though they were providing umbrellas). Anyway, the bathroom is done in rustic style. They used limestones instead of tiles. The problem with limestones is that they're prone to molds. Some parts of the bathroom already have molds so I think they need to clean that up (especially since molds are harmful to the respiratory system.). They provided shampoo, conditioner, oil and organic salt scrub.

Their restaurant is called "Alive" and they only serve organic, vegan dishes. For the record, my husband and I are meat-lovers. BUT not once did we miss meat because the food was really delicious! I was surprised that vegan dishes could fill us up, especially with my husband's appetite. If I have a chef who can cook dishes like that, I wouldn't mind going vegetarian. I especially loved the breakfast. :)

The place is really, really beautiful. We loved walking around, taking photos, reflecting and just really exploring the place. It was really serene and peaceful -- perfect for the soul. We swam in the South Pool and it was quite something else to swim in a pool with the forest right there in front of you. There was also a secluded waterfall tucked in a quiet little corner and it was all to ourselves for half the day.

The Farm also provides free yoga and exercise activities, as well as floral arrangement class and tours on how to make virgin coconut oil and soap. My husband and I also had a massage and a medical treatment. The customer service is the best I've ever experienced. Everyone was really helpful, courteous and friendly. I definitely will come back here again.

(The place, unfortunately, is really NOT FOR KIDS, even though they do allow kids. I saw some kids walking around, looking really bored.)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Arriadne
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed at the Farm few months ago by strong recommendation from my friend who stays Manila.
It was a brilliantly healthy experience that I've never had before, a paradise where you can rejuvenate your body and soul thoroughly!
The farm serves vegan food only, all the foods are made from the fresh veggies & coconuts from the resort farm itself. I myself is not a vegan but it was a pleasant experience to become a vegan for few days at the Farm with the healthy tasty vegan foods, I even seriously considered to become a vegan! (sadly it didn't work tho)
Have a healthiest staying at the Farm everyone :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
#1 of 2 in Talisay
Pico Sands Hotel
Pico Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Nasugbu

Been to The Farm at San Benito? Share your experiences!