“The dream place to be”

The Farm at San Benito
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lipa City
“The dream place to be”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The experience was truly priceless. Beginning the day of arrival receptionist named Happy together with Front Office Manager Ronnie grace us with warm welcome. Service was excellent from Front office, Alive restaurant and Housekeeping.
The place was breath taking. If you dream of having a quiet peaceful and beautiful scenery San aBenito is the place to be.
I love the healthy selection of food. Plus the variety of activities you can do inside the farm. Im
staying in a villa wherein i have my own swimming pool. It was so cool and so private.
We tried the relaxation massage though it was just okey. My only concern is during the treatment the therapist knew there is a bee trap inside the lamp, it is quite disturbing as half hour of the treatment the bee is keep on buzzing around. The therapist should have take the liberty to free the bee the lamp.
But needless to say, our stay was amazing ever penny are worth it. I will definitely recommend this to my friends.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Ringringa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is one of my most favorite places in Asia, or in the world I might say! The type of place I wanna stay in forevah! The first time I went here when I was preggo, I told my husband, one day I want to retire to a place like this. I came back with my 2-year old son and despite having diarrhea throughout our stay (he got it before we arrived at the resort), he was calm and relaxed. He enjoyed seeing ducks, chicken, goats, and peacocks up close. Food was just right--not overly yummy but surely something that looks and feels nutritious and beneficial to the body. I was satiated even with smaller portions than I usually have. I assume it's the way the food's cooked that it is filling and satisfying even though it is small. There is such a great aura about this place that is so kind to the body and soul. We will definitely keep going back :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank diaryofadesertfox
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I could go on and on and tell you how wonderful everything is....from location to staff to food to treatments etc...but I wont as others have already said it all. They are not lieing it is perfection. we only had a Sulu room which is the budget end of the rooms and if you dont mind going down a few steps for the toilet / shower it was fine for us....we didnt stay here to spend much time in the room! They gave my wife wonderful treats for her birthday and she is already planning the next stay - we will be back.

Room Tip: I think they will all be good!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David F
manila
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I've been around many resorts and retreats around the world anywhere from hostels to five star places and I just say it like it really is.
We decided to stay at the Narra Pool Villa(average of $450-$500/night) after many friends raves and great reviews about it being amazing for detox and relaxation, upon looking at their website, they seemed like a spa resort, which boasted a natural and organic lifestyle supported by its medical treatments and health regimens such as yoga, meditation and "relaxology" -- I thought this could be a great Valentine's weekend getaway to relax and rejuvenate specially being 4 months pregnant had given me quite the discomfort and plethora of migraines and neck/shoulder tension, I thought their meditation classes and spa treatments -- that they claim to fully tailor each client -- was going to be just perfect.
and so here's how our weekend getaway went :
1. they had no meditation classes when we were there at all - i booked spa treatments instead
2. very pricy spa treatments compared to premium spas in Manila, with no visible difference in service except for the excessive use in coconut oil
3. the massage therapist (Bernadette) for my so called "relaxing massage" kept pressing so hard on my lower back/belly area ( i was lying face down) to the point where she was shaking from exerting so much pressure-- this irritated me as she knew i was pregnant -- they are not allowed to put so much pressure or press/massage certain areas of a pregnant woman's body - STAY AWAY FROM MY BELLY! - and I had already told her to decrease her pressure since she knew it was not allowed for pregnant women either , but it only lasted for a minute and she went back to her regular pressure again which irritated me and agitated me even more than before i started the stupid treatment -- this massage is NOT relaxing at all, i found myself holding my breath and controlling my temper, worried sick about my baby for an entire hour. -- The point being, please do not promise pregnant women you can do these services for them if you can't. I sincerely felt like they were just trying to earn the most money they could and that they did not really care about the wellbeing of the actual patient, very selfish and disappointing. DON'T send therapists who are not trained well enough either, we are talking about the life of a baby here, not just some temporary bruises or muscle aches.
4.Housekeeping was terribly gross and unhygienic! after our first night's stay, house keeping came knocking at around 10pm to make up the room, there wasn't much to do but to refresh the toiletries wipe the mirrors and make up the bed and to my horrors here's how it went right in front of our eyes. -- The old unhappy looking girl just threw all the pillows and blankets on the floor and started folding them back one by one, not even replacing the sheets that were already bug blood stained when we checked in and smudged in several places with unidentified rust coloured stuff. She finished off by fluffing all the pillows pretending they were new GROOSSSSSSS!!! we stick our faces and our pillows and blankets during sleep and i might as well have used a floor rag as a pillow case if this was how she did it all the time-- and how long have the sheets not been changed for? another gross unhygienic factor -- she proceeded to sweep the floor AFTER making up the bed and then continued sweeping the outside garden area with the same broom GROSSSS-- ok for those of you who have never been to the farm, the place is like a huge garden/zoo there's lots of chickens, ducks, peacocks, cats and dogs roaming around the place and even more of their poops lying around the whole compound, imagine a combination of all those poo particles on your face and body thanks to this lady's idea of winning hygiene on how to clean a villa. COMPLETELY APPALLING and UNACCEPTABLE. Some scrubbing went on the bathroom by the old lady's male colleague and heaven knows what he did there.
simply DISAPPOINTING and AGITATING
5. everyday and every night our villa had scorpion like looking insects and hundreds of big red ants and a plethora of other unidentified flying insects and flies -- it was really rather uncomfortable, a camping tent would have been less infested with all those creepy crawlies.
6. Our villa did not even have guest supplies such as toothbrushes or toothpaste or personal combs provided.. - silly me- at $500/night was I expecting all these? we had to call reception to ask for them and after a feinted " oh there are supplies supposed to be there in the bathroom" - it was followed by ok sir, i shall send some over to your room -- we received 2 Colgate toothbrushes and a Dentiste toothpaste-- which is great but only proved that they really did not provide their own amenities for guests unless requested, there's no bug repellant either so you're left on your own devices if you fail to expect all the bugs you could possibly meet, My poor husband had about 10 insect bites a day throughout our stay -- AGITATING.
7. The Food is CRAP- and all the other synonyms of crap, one of the worst menus i've tasted in my entire life, and i've tried a lot. Pretentious and horribly matched the food was simply disgusting. Everything was uncooked and made out of coconuts it was gross and sickening after 3 meals i was sure i would die of malnutrition if i stayed any longer than 3 days. They would write lemon meringue in their menu which had no lemon nor no meringue and was made entirely of coconut and "veggies?" it tasted like squash and coconut and had very bad texture and left a very bad taste in the mouth, the salads were bitter lettuce leaves, metallic tasting tomatoes, sour mangoes and sweet curried walnuts- i was resisting the urge to throw everything up, practically everything was disgusting and whoever was creating their menus was trying too hard, maybe he's better off as a car mechanic, Organic food can be amazing when simple and fresh and not convoluted, contrived and pretentious. EXPENSIVE food!! considering how cheap (or free) coconuts are in the Philippines - totally disappointing and gross, I now dislike coconuts and coco oil. Why couldn't they serve organic meats or fish? their version of the tofu dog/sausage tasted worse than microwavable rice/couscous in cheap supermarkets. That's a feat achieved- in the wrong direction.
8.Back to the spa. During our first day Spa orientation, our therapist Rona was recommending all the different treatments she said I could have as a pregnant woman, so I committed to a few but left our third day tentative since I told her I was not sure if I wanted to do the Chlorophyll wrap whose main ingredient is Malunggay -- i later found out throughout the weekend that malunggay is used in certain provinces to abort unwanted babies -- and after the horrible massage, I no longer confirmed Sunday's treatment. To my surprise, a call came in at 11 am, reminding me of my "booked" chlorophyll wrap and I patiently told the spa lady that malunggay was not recommended for pregnancies, she then insisted that I still pay for the service since they had already prepared it, and she even jacked it up to P5000($120) compared to the agreed amount of P3800($70) previously since i had my treatments shortened and simplified - and then after a long argument about the booking being only tentative and me not really feeling up for another potentially traumatic treatment, she finally said ok, we can just cancel the treatment. -- I felt like she was blaming me for something I never committed to, there was no confirmation a day before so I really had no idea of it going through. And it almost felt like I was being forced to do spa treatments against my will! I found this terribly annoying and again an addition to all the things that made the stay so unrelaxing.
9.Its always so dark and dim they do seem like they are economizing so much on electricity and bills, probably to make even more money from the fortunes you are already giving them for crap service and free coconuts. Totally a turn off.

Bottomline, I will NOT return again and will NOT recommend this to anyone who's used to proper 5 star treatment and service. The Farm parades around in a pretentious idea of health and wellness but its real goal is to maximize margins and make you spend as much as you can by telling you a bunch of marketing crap about coconut oil. Buy it from the supermarket for $2/bottle if you really believed in the stuff no need to fork over a fortune.
And if you do have a lot of money to fork over, its better spent in other places like El Nido or Aman Pulo where you will feel your money's worth and have a more relaxing vacation and getaway!

Buyer Beware! and I only saw that they had this promo now on Narra pool Villa for P19k a night but when I called they charged me 25k/night that ended at P30k with taxes and fees -- this place in the middle of nowhere is totally pretentious and purely money making - i hate it.

Room Tip: Check El Nido or Aman Pulo and spend your $2000 elsewhere , you'll thank me later :)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
60 Thank j s
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have been reluctant to write of my delight in The Farm as I do not want in inundated with too many visitors… as I love the calm peace of the place, over and above the treatments. However that is unfair on the Farm who need continued customers. The whole place is beautifully and professionally managed and run. Just lovely as a Spa trip with real healing provided.

I have been to the Farm 3 times now… it is so special for quiet, healing and calming and re pacing your life.
The treatments - and I only did the spa not the deep cleansing, were all excellent. Every therapist is well trained.I like you can buy a package with everything included or if you like pay separately for things. so it works for all your preferences.
The entirely Vegan diet is amazing… and I say that as a regular meat eater…you will not miss your meat - the chefs make eye appeal and deliciousness their first priority however it is a very healthy diet.

I did 4 nights and was on my own… but being with a special person would be lovely too. 4 days was sort of enough as I needed a break but i imagine if you needed to boost your immune system a longer stay would be very benefice,

Room Tip: I was in the Palmyra room, but have stayed in a larger villa that was lovely. I would tend to avoid...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Jill35dg
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This place is really, really beautiful. They have managed to tame the lush greenery into amazing landscapes which surround water features like lakes and pools...I have lots of images in my mind of the nooks and crannies -- a beautiful library that looks out onto a pond and garden as if it were almost floating, the gorgeous spa, amazing walks (and I hate to walk), the flowers, birds, the PEACE.

And that's just it, if you can't handle peace and silence don't come. This is ideal to do yoga, relax, sleep, read, get massages...There's no party here!

I would advise people to combine it with a trip to the beach, two very different experiences which complement each other, and not far away there is the fantastic sea of Mabini.

I also feel quite a bit of skepticism about what someone can tell about your general health by looking at a drop of your blood right in front of your eyes -- I would think that serious nutritional advice should come after a REAL blood test, though it never hurts to eat fresh food and almost never hurts to have massages.

The letdown for me, however, was precisely the food. I like vegetarian food, but it can be WAY tastier that this -- just keep it simple, no need of cheeses and sauces, good produce and olive oil and you're set!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carina F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Where do you start to write a review on such a wonderful place?!

I stayed in a Garden Villa which meant I had a kingsize 4-poster bed in a spacious room. I also had my own private garden and a covered patio with a pair of sunloungers as well as chairs. There was plenty of room in the garden had I wanted to move this garden furniture into a sunny spot. To the rear of my bedroom there was an interior toilet and wash basin however both the bath and shower were outside. Even though this is the cool season for the Philippines (January) it was still warm enough to shower outside - the water can be run hot and it is a rain shower head.
The other feature about my room I liked was the screen doors that allowed airflow rendering the airconditioner redundant.

My room was probably about the furthest from the reception, restaurant, etc so I enjoyed total peace and quiet other than the joyous sound of nature.
It also meant I had a lovely walk through the wonderful grounds of the property.

The food served in the restaurant was delicious. I knew when I booked that it would be vegan and largely following the raw food principles. Although I am an omnivore this did not put me off and I can honestly say I didn't really notice the lack of animal products on my plate. The kitchen does an amazing job of blending interesting flavours and textures. For both meals I opted to go for the set menu although never all 5 courses as that would have been too much food for me.

I participated in the yoga classes. The instructor easily accommodated the various abilities of the class, giving alternatives. Class sizes were small but that probably varies week by week. The other great thing about the class is that it is held outside but under cover with a stunning view across a small lake to the volcano.

They offer a wide range of massage treatments and alternative/holistic therapies. These are a matter of personal belief, need and taste. I was very happy with the treatment I received. The therapist was very professional and took time to explain what she would be doing and what the benefits were as well as what I should consider working on after I had left the Farm.

True to its name, they also grow their own food here at the Farm and guests are free to wander around this.

I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: I loved the peace and quiet of room 16
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Skatexplorer
VeganRules, Guest Relations Manager at The Farm at San Benito, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time of staying here with us. It was great to know that you had a peaceful retreat and enjoyed our lovely Garden Villa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lipa City
#1 of 2 in Talisay
Pico Sands Hotel
Pico Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Nasugbu

Been to The Farm at San Benito? Share your experiences!