“Real treasure of Nicaragua”

Redwood Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mechapa
Chichiriviche, Venezuela
“Real treasure of Nicaragua”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I made it first time to Chinandega and stayed 5 nights at Redwood Beach Resort. Stacy and Mike are great host and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Food was always excellent I really like the fresh fish witch local fisherman catches every day. The cabanas are rustic but have comfortable beds and air condition which i didn’t need at all.
They organized for me two tours a hike to Cosinguina Vulcan where you have a great view to neighbor countries Honduras and El Salvador y also made a tour into the Mangrove swamp of the Nature Reserve Padre Ramos which is just 6 km from the Hotel away. The kayak tour was nice and I saw a lot of birds…there are also crocodiles and turtles around which I have not seen on my excursions. I also made a excursion to Flor de Cana Factory in Chichigalpa which produces one of the finest rums in the world.
The Hotel is very remote about one hour from Chinandega and the last 13 km are on a dirt road but even in October where should be the heaviest rainfall I could easy pass without 4 wheel drive. The Hotel is in a tiny little Fishing Village called Mechapa a few hundred locals live there. The Hotel is on a 18 km long shallow wide beach and you can walk for hours without seeing other people it’s the only hotel on this beach and there is maybe a handful of houses right on the beach…So you have the entire beach for yourself.
During one of the excursion my car broke down in the middle of nowhere as we could not fix it there we called Mike and he tow my car to the hotel without charging me.. He was so helpful and called a mechanic from Chinandega to check my car as they could not find the problem they tow the car to Chinandega where they fixed the problem.
If you like to go away from the touristy places in the south of Nicaragua I would highly recommend the North and Chinandega which has beautiful empty beaches, Volcanoes, Mangrove Swamp Reserves and much more to see.
I had a wonderful stay at Redwood Beach Resort and it was very safe and I will go back for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Thank you again Mike and Stacy for helping me and David out of tight spot when our car broke down!

Mike and Stacy are amazing friendly, helpful and fun managers/owners of a beautiful beach front resort. Fun, easy going and entertaining, they made our predicament a somewhat of a brief stop in paradise. Managed to relax in hammocks, catch some really nice waves (right out in front of the resort) and enjoy some delicious food!

Once again, thank you Stacy and thank you Mike. Your hospitality and help has been greatly appreciated!

The best regards

Greg

• Stayed October 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were blessed with an opportunity to visit Redwood Beach the very first weekend of August. We had heard it was amazing, but nothing could have prepared us for how amazing it really and truly was.
We are a family of 7 - mom & dad and 5 kiddos ages 10 to 17 and each one of us loved Redwood!
We played hard, relaxed plenty, slept well (the matresses are amazing), ate gourmet food, explored....
It was a splurge for our family for sure, but after 6 months of missions work in Nicaragua it was a great weekend to catch a breath and start thinking about our re-entry back in to the US.

Room Tip: We had two cabana's right on the beach which we loved, but I don't think you could go wrong...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I traveled to Nicaragua during a National holiday, therefore my friends and I decided not to stay in any of the local known beaches, as these would be crowded and loud. So we headed up north to Chinandega to the Redwood Resort. Before arriving in Nicaragua I made reservations for 2 nights via-email. Stacy was very quick to answer my concerns and questions. During my interaction via-email with Stacy there was a misunderstanding concerning the rates for 2 cabanas that I requested. Stacy, after realizing that an error was made in quoting the rate, did not hesitate and honored the original rate proposed. I found her honesty and interest in keeping me happy very valuable.

We arrived at Redwood and was more than what I expected, beautiful beaches, beautiful private beach front cabanas and what impressed me the most was the personal interaction with the staff and the owners, Mike and Stacy. The food was fresh, tasteful and plentiful. We did not engage in any local activities, horse riding, canoeing, hiking, motorcycling on the beach nor go to the village, we pretty much stayed in the resort and relaxed...having Stacy's Bloody Maries and enjoying the ocean breeze.

Overall, this was a great experience and will definitely go back soon…..and BTW, my money or property were not stolen, so I am sure the problem was addressed.

Jorge Mercado.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Let me first start off by saying that Redwood Beach Resort is a great vacation destination. The service, food, beach, and atmosphere are all excellent. The setting is gorgeous and the itineraries are open and flexible to accommodate guests. This is an excellent choice for anyone who is interested in a wide range of sports and activities or just lazy relaxation.

What is most impressive to me, is how Stacy and Mike accomplished this along a remote and unforgiving stretch of beach beside the village of Mechapa, Nicaragua. Don't expect a typical beach resort experience - this place is better than that. It's definitely rustic, but that just adds to the charm. The service and meals were often personalized, so that was definitely a nice touch.

I feel the need to comment on the one negative TripAdvisor post here, dated August 20th. I was staying at the resort at that time, and the owners dealt openly yet cautiously with an accusation of theft by their staff - that problem was addressed promptly and professionally with the local police. I never felt unsafe or thought that the security of my belongings was threatened. Mike and Stacy were faced with some tough decisions and managed to do the right thing. I believe the problem has been addressed and that additional security measures put in place have stopped that problem from occurring in the future.

I commend the support Mike and Stacy provide to the local Sea Turtle conservation efforts, as well as the designation of part of their property as a nature reserve. I hope that they will continue to ensure visitor tours to Cosiguina and Estero Padre Ramos are recognized by the authorities in charge of conservation efforts at those areas. Cosiguina in particular seems to absorb heavy abuse from cattle grazing, probably small-scale timber harvesting. To ensure RBR has great tours in the future, I hope Stacy and Mike can encourage the importance of the conservation ethic locally, there are great opportunities in both Cosiguina and Padre Ramos.

At any rate, Redwood Beach Resort is a great place to visit, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I had been to RBR , but only for lunch. On this visit I stayed three nights and did not want to leave.

The entire resort is perfect for the single traveler, couples or families...start with the beach...just steps away from the cabins and a very safe beach. With the tide out , at least 100 meters of sand, which is great for kids, joggers , or in my case simply walking and you can walk for miles picking up interesting shells along the way. Very few if any others walking on the beach.

The cabins are perfect, there are 6 one bedroom cabins and very close to the water, all with covered decks so one can sit and read or have a quiet conversation. The other is currently two bedrooms, but the owners are adding a third bedroom downstairs. Great linens and good mattress . There is cable TV, but I was more interested in enjoying the view. They offer various tours, but again, I was content to stay by the beach. Around the dining and bar area, there is soft background music also at an appropriate volume level

The owners offer several selections for food and all the beverages one would desire. While I was there fresh fish and shrimp were brought to the resort as well as fresh fruits and vegetables . Every meal was tasty and well prepared.

The owners, Mike and Stacy are pros at operations and customer service. They tailor the service for each guest...if you want to sit and read and relax, they will not disturb you...but if you need assistance, food, beverages , they are there to help. The other staff are young locals that were very well trained and polite.

Highly recommend a visit and I will return.

Room Tip: Maybe best room would be the last cabin to the north. Also check the tide table for low tide and bri...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Jinotega, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have lived in Nicaragua for over 4 years, and up until now had never found a place on the beach we loved. We've tried quite a few, but no more. Aside from being a perfect beach - clean, private, lush, no riptides like further south - It is the perfect hotel.
The cabanas are beautiful, well constructed, well cared for and well furnished. Great beds and comfy seating areas are plentiful here, and all with a great view. The linens on the bed were clean, new and luxurious. They are also generous with towels. (I hate beach resorts that are stingy with towels!) Mike and Stacey (the owners) have obviously stayed in hotels before, and understand what is required for comfortable wilderness luxury. Our room had air-conditioning, and they had adjusted the linens accordingly, so that we were comfy, but also didn't wake up freezing in the middle of the night.
The food was excellent. It was fresh and healthy (which can be hard to find), using fabulous local seafood whenever possible. The menu was fun and varied. Meals were punctual and the waitstaff was extremely attentive and pleasant. Another plus was that they have a coffee station set up by 6 or 6:30 am, for those early risers who don't like to wait until 9 am for their first cup of joe.
We were made to feel like welcome friends during our entire stay, by the owners, the staff and the other repeat guests who were there at the time. Neither my husband or I would have ANY hesitation about booking again as soon as possible, or recommending Redwood Beach Resort to all friends and family without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechapa
Hotel La Pyramide
#1 of 7 in Rivas
Hotel Popoyo
Hotel Popoyo
#3 of 5 in Tola

Been to Redwood Beach Resort? Share your experiences!