“a great B&B to stay in for Hadrian's Wall visitors”
Review of Bush Nook

Bush Nook
Ranked #1 of 8 Gilsland B&B and Inns
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“a great B&B to stay in for Hadrian's Wall visitors”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Thanks to Malcolm and Jenny and the staff for making our weekend so good. Food great, comfortable accommodation, a hot tub for those who wanted it, and 2 friendly dogs. Provides a good view across the moors for breakfast.

Room Tip: ask for the cottage ground floor for less-abled visitors
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Malcolm R, Owner at Bush Nook, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for a taking to comment on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your positive comments and agree we have such wonderful views around Bush Nook.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Wrea Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Malcolm and Jenny very kindly organised a fantastic special birthday weekend for my husband - we had 20 guests all comfortably housed in the beautiful, yet very homely accomodation. The Friday evening hot bufftet was superb but the Saturday evening cold buffet was literally 'to die for'. Nothing was too much trouble to ensure great celebrations. The hot tub was enjoyed by many after walking the wall. However, being a B& B, you could be forgiven in thinking it's all about the breakfast - they were also superb! Thank you so much - Malcolm, Jenny and Stephen

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Malcolm R, Owner at Bush Nook, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your kind words we are so happy that we were able to help you celebrate such a grand occasion in Roy's life.

We look forward to seeing you all again at some time in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2014

What a fantastic guest house, we stayed hear over the new year and had an amazing stay. So comfortable and beautiful, the cottage was great as we had our daughter with us, so much space. We got married in Gretna green whyle staying hear (only a short drive away) and we are so delight we chose the bush nook, Malcolm and jenny are fantastic, really lovely people made everything just perfect. Will definitely return

Room Tip: The cottage amazing, views outstanding.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Malcolm R, Owner at Bush Nook, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. It was so nice for us to be part of this exciting time in your life. Take care and have many happy years of married life.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have travelled many places and stayed at many hotels, B&Bs and Inns. Bush Nook was one of the best I have stayed. The hospitality of the owners, the clean and comfortable room and the beautiful quiet countryside made it to 5 stars. I had learnt and seen the history of Roman Empire at the Museum and in the area. Everybody I came across on the roads and in the villages were very very very helpful, kind and friendly. I can only experience to greetings from strangers with smiles. I don't get it in the cities. That is why, countryside is always my favourite and of course the friendly local people too. If the one goes to visit the wall, the visit won't be perfect if the one doesn't stay at Bush Nook B&B. Malcolm and his family are on my list of beautiful people I have met in my life time of travelling. I hope that I will meet more people like them in my future places to visit. Thank you for all your hospitality Malcolm and family. Htike.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Malcolm R, Owner at Bush Nook, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of the local area in and around Gilsland and Hadrian's Wall Country and of course Bush Nook. You are very right about the welcome and friendliness of the area. We are so lucky to experience this on a regular basis by living here. Hopefully you will get to stay with us again in the future.

By the way me being a "beautiful people" is probably pushing the description, "ruggedly aged" is probably closer to the mark !
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at Bush Nook B & B on route to Carlisle. What an oasis in the countryside. I was greeted very cordially by Malcolm who related some wonderful stories, that I could have listened to all night.
The accommodation itself was cosy and welcoming just like the host. The view of the country side cannot be better, magnificent views of rolling hills and although I did not have the pleasure of using it, a hot tub in the garden really added to the luxury of this B&B. On the way into the accommodation I did stop the car and had to view the evening sky, the stars were fantastic and Malcolm did say that they are just on the edge of the dark sky viewing.
The bedroom was very big with the most comfortable bed. Coffee and tea facilities available in room but a fantastic coffee machine available in the dining area. Great breakfast and this set me up for my meeting in Carlisle.
Thanks Malcolm I would not hesitate to recommend this accommodation.

Room Tip: All rooms were great
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TheGees17
Malcolm R, Owner at Bush Nook, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you taking time to review Bush nook and your stay here on Hadrians Wall. Your comments were very positive and we care glad you found everything to your liking.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Tucked away cosily behind a cluster of trees, the Bush Nook B&B will stay one of my fondest memories of all my travels so far.
Despite us turning up unexpectedly without even a reservation rather late at night after a long days hiking, Malcolm made us feel incredibly at home and welcome. Offering us a splendid warm meal despite the late hour, he went out of his way to make us feel comfortable and safe.The Room we stayed in was absolutely beautiful, as was the surrounding countryside. The B&B which already looks homely from the outside nevertheless delighted both of us with its delightful interior. After a wonderfully welcome good sleep we had a delicious, extensive and rich breakfast I still have happy day dreams about now, months later.
I can not possibly imagine a B&B deserving higher praise, and when I next come past the area again I will gladly to make a considerable detour if it means staying another night in the Bush Nook.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
malcolmbushnook, Owner at Bush Nook, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your very kind review, we would be happy to invite you to Bush Nook again on any detour!
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The rolling green hills are at your doorstep at Bush Nook Inn. This B&B was cosy and comfortable, we had two rooms: a double for ourselves and a twin for our two sons, aged 11 and 13. We were given a king's breakfast as only the English can make it before setting off on our daily hike in wild and beautiful northern England. Bush Nook is about a mile from ancient 'Hadrian's Wall'. The absolute ace-up-the-sleeve is Bush Nook's garden hot tub, overlooking the rolling hills, where you may hear the neighbour calling in the collies after rounding up the sheep! The garden hot tub seats at least four, where you can give your muscles a treat after a long day, while breathing in wonderful fresh air. I don't think I've ever returned to work this relaxed before! Our teenage sons gave this holiday a nine out of ten because of the great tub! Thanks Malcolm and Jenny!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
malcolmbushnook, Owner at Bush Nook, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Many thanks for your kind review of your stay at Bush Nook recently. We really apprecieate you atking the time to makd comment.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilsland
Langley Castle Hotel
#1 of 14 in Haltwhistle
Scotch Arms Mews
Scotch Arms Mews
#4 of 26 in Brampton

Been to Bush Nook? Share your experiences!