“An outstanding B and B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gilsland
The Hill on the Wall Country Guest House
Ranked #3 of 8 Gilsland B&B and Inns
Swaffham, United Kingdom
“An outstanding B and B”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Thank you Elaine for a lovely stay - we enjoyed everything about the Hill on the Wall. Elaine, with the help of Ian, are extremely welcoming hosts - nothing seems to be too much trouble. Elaine has put much thought into the service she provides, I have never seen so much choice of drinks in a room! The tea and cake on arrival was a lovely touch, it was nice to chat and hear about your move to the north. Ian did a splendid job at breakfast too - I know we are terribly fussy about the cooking of our eggs, and this point was duly noted. The breakfast choices were extremely good, we had no problem with selecting from the menu the night before. On leaving we took Ian's advice and had a trip into Carlisle to the Tullie House museum which we enjoyed very much. There is so much to do in the area, we will definitely return, (even though we are just over an hour away) I was a little baffled at some of the previous negative reviews, personally I would say there was nothing to fault at all. The house is beautifully decorated and full of character, it really is a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Caligula's chamber was really comfortable with lovely views of the Irthing valley and garden.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When I needed to find accommodation to take part in a Macmillan Trekathlon near the finishing line at Lanercost Priory I used Trip Advisor. This B&B came up with only 5 & 4 reviews. Having stayed 5 days I can confirm that original search is well deserved and I am surprised by recent bad reviews and on meeting Ian & Elaine can only conclude that the reviewers have no sense of humour and have nothing else better to do than find fault. As they say you can't please everyone. Don't be put off. I found Ian pleasant and in no way offensive he has a northern sense of humour it's not a crime Elaine was so welcoming and the perfect host and the accommodation and service was outstanding. The breakfast spread and room tea and coffee choice in the rooms are fit for a king. Yes there is a French press and I can only conclude that filter coffee was not provided by accident as it is in all the rooms as an option. Maybe someone should have asked Elaine or Ian as they would have sorted the problem immediately. I will recommend this B & B to my friends and family if they are in the area. It is ideally located for walkers, cyclists and visitors to Hadrian's Wall with the garden overlooking the wall to Willowford Bridge. Have a great stay you won't regret it.

Room Tip: All rooms are A1
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lazerlight
North America
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We visited a lot of B&Bs while doing the Hadrian's Wall trail, and they were all excellent, but if I could give any place 6 stars, it would be this one! The owners were incredibly kind and welcoming and made us feel like visiting royalty. The room was large, beautiful, and amazingly packed with every possible thing that you could possibly want! And there were gorgeous views over the countryside.

The breakfasts were simply incredible. The full English was ginormous but also beautifully cooked, and there were lots of other options that were extremely interesting gourmet fare.

This place is about as good as a B&B can get; we really enjoyed our stay and wished we could have stayed longer.

Just a warning about Gilsland: it seems like a largish village, but it has no shops at all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have just returned from a eight day walking trip and spent a night at The Hill on The Wall. When we arrived in a downpour, both Elaine & Ian could not have been more pleasant and helpful making sure our clothes and boots were dried for us and we were given tea and cake. The house was stunning and the location beautiful We stayed in Flavian's Folly which was charming with every amenity available that we could need. Elaine even ran us to the pub that night so we could get some food and was willing to collect us again if it was still raining. The breakfast was delicious and Ian was a perfectly pleasant host to all of us. Before we left we had a lovely chat about the walk we were doing and Ian took some photos of my husband and me together as it was our anniversary. I would thoroughly recommend The Hill on the Wall and going by my experience have no qualms therefore of giving it 5 stars.

Beaufort, SC
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Elaine was so nice and helpful and the rooms were equipped with everything you can possibly need, want, or imagine. Unfortunately, Ian was so rude that we were dumbfounded. The first words out of his mouth when we arrived were rude. The following morning all eight guests of the inn were waiting patiently in the parlor to be called in for breakfast. We were afraid to enter the dining room as Ian seems eager to find a reason to belittle guests. It was obvious, although we did not know each other, that we were all "gun shy" because everyone had already been on the receiving end of Ian's rudeness. He walked into the parlor and told us that they had been holding breakfast for 10 minutes, as if we were such a problem for him. You should have seen the looks and smirks from guest to guest. I would never recommend this place although it was beautiful and I dare say that all of the guests that day feel the same way. What a shame.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank liveoak33
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

It appears that I am in the minority for the reviews of this B&B but I can't imagine staying here again. Ian, who was the more present face in the establishment, was incredibly rude. I assumed that he just didn't like Americans until I saw him belittle a couple from Holland in front of me. I'm awarding this establishment two stars instead of one only because the accommodations were very nice, unfortunately, we couldn't leave the place fast enough.

Also our room came with a french press, which I love. It also came with a jar of instant coffee, which makes no sense with a french press.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Harveylaw
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a fabulous 3 night stay. Elaine and Ian are very welcoming hosts and nothing is too much trouble, even serving tea and home made cake in the spacious lounge if we returned during the day. We stayed in Caligula's Chamber which is a beautiful room with large en-suite shower room and views of Hadrian's Wall. The breakfast choice is excellent. Hill on the Wall is ideally situated for touring the Roman forts and the Wall itself. Thank you Elaine and Ian - we hope to return some day

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilsland
Gilsland Hall Hotel
#1 of 8 in Gilsland
Brookside Villa B&B
Brookside Villa B&B
#2 of 8 in Gilsland

Been to The Hill on the Wall Country Guest House? Share your experiences!