“Excellent food great value”
Review of Truffles Brasserie - CLOSED

Truffles Brasserie
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a small family run French brasserie open from 09:30am for coffee and breakfast. We serve lunch from midday to 02:00pm . Dinners are now served from 07:00pm. We can seat up to 30 persons and the two restaurants can be hired for business use or private parties. We aim to provide attentive but unobtrusive service, with French cuisine sourced from our local producers, We aim to fly the flag for traditional rural value and quality as part of the eating out scene in our wonderful town of Bruton.
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I had lunch at Truffles on Saturday afternoon. We had the set 3 course meal for £13.50 excellent value and a good choice. we both enjoy fish we both started with scallops I had a crad salad for main my husband had lemon sole we both had a tripple chocolate desert. We Both enjoyed the meal very nice presentation of food . Well done to the team at Truffles. We will be back.

1  Thank CarolineBrain
Richard S, Owner at Truffles Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

What a nice review, Caroline. Thank you for taking time to submit your comments to TripAdvisor as every positive review is good for our staff morale and helps us to generate more business. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Recommended by friends and we were not disappointed. Friendly attentive service, good choice of dishes on the menu and excellent value for money.

1  Thank MWMNicholls

It was nice of you to write about our lunch. Midweek is often a quiet time (especially Tuesdays and Wednesdays) but there is always excellent fish newly arrived from Brixham as well as Dexter beef from Redlych plus maybe some locally sourced game.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I would go as far as saying we loved this place, staff were charming and the food is really excellent. The buffet was good quality really wonderful with some unusual twists on the norm - my grandson could not believe his luck (he eats for England!) said it the the best food ever and lots of it. Keep up the good work and we will be back - stack up the buffet I will be bringing both 'my boys' next time! Thanks again.

1  Thank Angela M

Angela, we are glad you enjoyed the Sunday buffet. We find that children tend to be our best customers and also most daring in being prepared to try the more unusual dishes such as cuisses de grenouilles and escargots. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

having frequented the 'old' Truffles, I was interested to revisit although it was sprung on me as a birthday surprise.
To be honest, not on patch on previous owners & a disappointing meal overall.
The garlic croutons were fried & greasy
The foie gras was pan fried, not mentioned on menu
The blue cheese was salty & the camembert served as if straight from the fridge
Did we complain to the staff? No, the table we were sat next to was doing enough of that, I just left disappointed

1  Thank yconne c
Richard S, Owner at Truffles Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

I was sorry to hear you were disappointed with the dinner on your birthday, especially as it was surprise revisit to a former restaurant which you clearly loved in the past. I should point out that we are a French restaurant/brasserie and don't aim to emulate the style of food characteristic of the former Truffles. I find that visiting former haunts from the past is often disappointing because it is hard for the new establishment to compete with past happy memories and associations. That said I am a bit mystified as you don't mention anything very concrete to complain about and honestly admit that you didn't do so during your meal. I really wish people would not do that, oh so English thing, of smiling through a meal, which they are not happy with without mentioning their concerns to the staff! The table near you did complain because the clam chowder wasn't to their liking and we immediately changed their starter and they left happy because we had listened and acted. We take any adverse comment seriously and really hope you will give us another chance as it upsets our dedicated staff when they see reviews like this.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We agreed to meet with some friends from Bath for brunch before setting off for a walk in Stourhead nearby.
The waitress in charge was so miserable, not sure if she had a bad shift the night before but she clearly didn't want to be there on a Sunday morning and it was not service with a smile we would have expected from this little bistro place.
Our food came really late as the chef had a problem in the kitchen, not sure what as , apart from another couple of tables we are the only one in the bistro. With 3 hungry kids it was quite painful for us. In all fairness the young waiter came to apologise a couple of times.
The chef finally came apologising that his first attempt at sauce had curdled so he had to cook it again. The hollandaise was absolutely delicious and worth the wait BUT we were mortified to find "moucherons" not sure what you call them in English , in two of the egg benedicts and one spider in my husband's ( from the fresh flowers they used as decoration - nice idea but to find bugs in your food not so nice). I did complain and they did offer to bring another one but we were too ravenous to wait for another one by then.
The bill came and no offer to waive our coffees/drinks due to wait or cancel one main meal due to bugs.
So all in all a very very disappointed experience - we will not come again and sadly this is not a place we will recommend to our friends

3  Thank Assunta G
Richard S, Owner at Truffles Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Assunta, I was disappointed to hear of this experience. In mitigation this was a very busy Sunday and we had 6 unbooked walk-ins arrive at the same time as your party of 8. Frankly we were understaffed and unprepared for this. The chef had a problem with the Hollandaise sauce turning which meant he had to prepare a new batch and the poor waitress was stressed out at having such a lot to do at once!
Using edible flowers, as we do as an ornament on some dishes, can bring unwelcome surprises as you discovered. The staff offered to replace the Egg Benedict which you declined but I wish to correct one inaccuracy in your account in that the cost of this dish was removed from the bill. However I understand your annoyance and would ask you to send me your email address so that we can issue you a voucher redeemable against a future meal as we are keen to demonstrate that we take your comments seriously and will take steps to avoid anything like this happening again.