“Tasteless”
Review of The Clarence - CLOSED

The Clarence
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Gilwern, United Kingdom
“Tasteless”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I really wanted to like the Clarence; I had been on the website and looked at the menu which seemed huge and varied so some friends and I decided to try it for lunch. However, the menu we were handed bore no resemblance to the one on the website. Two of us opted for the chicken tikka and one of us asked for plain chicken with jacket potato and side salad. There is no Salad option as a main meal (or starter) and when my friend asked for the plain chicken and jacket potato, she was told that they don't do jacket potatoes as a main course. As jacket potatoes are given as a potato option to be served with the main courses, she asked if she could have that. They told her she could have the garlic mushroom chicken with the potato, so she asked if she could have that but without the garlic mushroom sauce. This was finally agreed. When our meals came, they looked very nice. The tikka was served in a separate balti dish, the rice in a separate small bowl and there was a bit of side salad garnish on the plate. A member of staff asked us if our meals were okay, and as we hadn't started to eat yet, we agreed that they were. They asked if we wanted any sauces and my friend requested mayonnaise. I emptied my chicken tikka on to my plate and after a few seconds, water seemed to leak out of the chicken leaving a watery sauce in which the rice and chicken sat. When I actually tasted the sauce, it was so bland that if I had been blindfolded, I would not have been able to tell you what it was. The chicken tasted "wet" and had no flavour and I actually left most of my meal on the plate (which is very unusual for me!). My friend who also had chicken tikka also left most of hers, and as for my friend who had the plain chicken.... it came as a rather anaemic looking object that looked as if it had been boiled and she reported that it was not a nice flavour at all. The mayonnaise never turned up at all. All in all it was a very disappointing lunch and I don't think we will be back! I gave it a "poor" rating, rather than a "terrible" as the staff were very nice and smiley!

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank Gillyflower58

United Kingdom
“Brilliant service in a beautiful Welsh pub”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The staff were so helpful, friendly and welcoming here. Nothing was too much trouble and they offered superb service to our table.
Food was served piping hot. The menu is varied and excellent value for money. Will definitely be visiting again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank TishTash15
Wales, United Kingdom
“Good food, nice atmosphere.”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Visited for lunch with friends. Good food and average prices. Pub was quiet at the time of visit therefore there was no long wait for the food to arrive. Catered for a young child and provided a high chair. Pub was clean and service was good.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Nicola N
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
“Great Food Nice Pub”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Clarence has recently re-opened so my wife and I and 2 friends decided to give it a try and we are glad we did, the food was the best food we have had locally for a long time and plenty of it, we had to wait a bit, but that is because everything is cooked fresh, the puddings are brilliant with very large portions, the waitresses are pleasant as are the bar staff, good beer a nice pub

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jakeyboyo
Blackwood, United Kingdom
“now open under new ownership”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We are regulars at Ivy May restaurant The Railway Tredegar and love it. We recently heard that Mark the owner and his team were now opening the Clarence in Brynmawr. We decided to give it a go I must say the pub and restaurant look lovely, all at the high standard's of Ivy May restaurant's. Staff were really friendly and pleasant food was really good. welldone to Mark and his fab team you really deserve to get on .

• Visited May 2014