The Parkway Hotel & Spa
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Glenroy Hotel(Newport)
1,227 results
All reviewscakesafternoon tealog fireleisure facilitiesbar areawedding partylovely hotelevening mealbirthday treattom joneswaiting staffmember of stafffunction roomfood was lovelystaff were very helpfulduty managerovernight stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Review covers main lounge-bar and Ravellos Restaurant only not the rooms, conference suite or health club. Been a few years since I was last here and a change of ownership along with some refurbishment which was badly needed but the best of the old features have been kept. I must admit a soft spot for this old place as it did give me my first ever employment when I was a mere slip of a lad aged 16 waiting tables in this very restaurant.

Reception & Lounge-bar: obvious improvements are recovering of many of the chairs and a new carpet in the same pattern as the original but now red rather than green. Both of these were badly needed when I worked here over 10 years ago and it gives a needed lift and makes a really good sized area feel lighter and airier. Nice to still be able to relax in front of a real roaring fire in deep leather chesterfields. Bartender on 01/12/13 was excellent, a credit to the hotel.

Ravellos: much the same as ever but with the dodgy, leaky old fountain converted to an impressive floral centrepiece, I once slipped on this back in my days as a waiter and crashed into the table I was bringing meals to so this is much better. Carvery quality excellent as it always was and starters and sweets still equally as good as ever, had a nostalgic moment seeing the creaking old dessert trolley still wheeling around. Service was always friendly but ranged from slow to inexperienced (passing plates over guests to reach others even where it would be possible to go round behind to minimise disruption to conversation) and a touch disorganised (long wait for mains to be cleared), no-one seemed to have defined roles. I know it was busy but it was just as busy on sunday lunch in my day and we used to have to crumb down before dessert and fold napkins into fan shapes but I never remember feeling disordered; cashier or manager would seat people and organise a wine waiter, one of us would be on bread rolls and do desserts, one dedicated to serve veg and anyone else would clear tables and pitch in as asked to by the manager. Good to still not have to carry your own plate though. Only real let down was the grubby tea & coffee pots and the cold milk jug had mildew and milk residues in it around the spout- we only used the hot milk - and not having cups and saucers set out just plonked down on the table by a joung man with an un-tucked shirt. Again in my day we used to have to set the cups and saucers and pour the coffee and before shift or after breakfast we would have to polish the tea & coffee pots and we had china milk jugs and sugar bowls for use in the restaurant rather than the canteen stainless steel as used in the lounge. Training and organisation is badly needed here but the staff are all very pleasant to their credit.

Overall we would return to this restaurant as overall our food was very very good and still good value at £20 for 3 courses. generally the people seem a bit happier working here than in the old days which is nice to see but lack of organisation and training coupled with the dirty milk jug and teapot let the experience down hence only 3/5 rating. Polish up the silverware and the silver service and it would be 5/5 rating no problem.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank G_O_C479
Kerry J, General Manager at The Parkway Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear G_O_C479

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased you enjoyed Sunday Lunch in our restaurant and that you noticed some of the many changes are new owners have made to the hotel this past year.

We appreciate your comments regarding the crockery and I will ensure that our food and beverage team are serving coffee to the correct standard at all times.

We are delighted to hear that you would return to Ravellos for Sunday Lunch. As you are a past employee, please make yourself known to me when you next visit and say hello, as it's quite likely I will remember you.

We look forward to seeing you.

Best wishes

Kerry Jennings

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Parkway Hotel is about 13 miles from my home. I consider myself to be lucky that this is the case. I have been meeting there with friends every Friday evening for nearly 10 years. This is a wonderful start to the weekend, an opportunity to unwind and a chance for us to dance to the various entertainment provided free of charge by the hotel on Friday andSaturdays.Although we are not residents we are treated consistently by staff in a welcoming and friendly way. When I stay overnight the service and rooms are excellent. The Ravello restaurant I imagine named after one of my favourite places in Italy provides the best cavery I have experienced in the area. I have been dissapointed that my Italian experience on dining here has been destroyed since the hotel has been under new ownership. Theyseem to think that as we are on the Welsh borders dragons have to adorn every available wall. I love to use the spa facilities and my husbandis a member . This means that we are able to have reduced two for one rates in the resaurant on Sunday and Fridays. The lunches in the lounge are fab as well and the service there is particularly good, have to get there early. There are some negatives in that when there is a function or wedding in the other rooms the bar staff are too few . The lounge gets taken over by these guests. This must be annoying for residents. The smoking in the main entrance is very annoying as you have to walk through a wall of smoke and cigarette buts to get in. Not a good first impression. T he lounge is in serious need of refurbishment. Some of the lamp shades are falling apart.
Ceri the manager is very good at ensuring that all needs are metand regular visitors views are listened to. Special deals for birthdays etare very good value

Room Tip: All good, many are on the ground floor back rooms have lovely views like being in the countryside
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We are weekly visitors to this hotel and have stayed on many occassions on romantic and birthday experiences which are extremely good deals. The hotel is under new management since when many improvements have been made. The staff are friendly and helpful and Kerry the manager is always seen keeping an eye on things. The hotel has comfortable rooms and pleasant lounge with log fire as a centrepiece. If you visit on a Friday and Saturday you will be able to dance to one of the resident instrumentalist. The Colonial Club spa has been updated and offer good health facilities. The dining room provides execllent food with the carvery the best in the area. The only down side is the lounge bar service is somtimes difficult to get served particularly when there is a function and smokers still congregate around the main entrance and you hve to fight the fog and smell to get in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Nice hotel on outskirts of Cmbran (10 mins in a taxi, c £6 from station) and 4/5 miles to Newport. Large nicely decorated rooms, good choice at breakfast and nice range on menu in restaurant, Spa facilities but not enough time this trip to try.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Darren W
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Will be stopping again, staff really pleasant and helpful, rooms and hotel immaculate, loved the large log fire too, breakfast great only problem is don't wait till you are hungry to have evening meal as you will be in for a long wait, we tried the carvery too as we were in a hurry to meet relatives, even that we had to wait for but don't let it put you off, just allow an extra time for meal

• Stayed: November 2013