“Wonderful wedding!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cwmbran
South Wales
“Wonderful wedding!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Parkway as a bridesmaid for my brother's wedding. We booked over the phone; there was a slight issue with pricing of the room, but it was solved very quickly and professionally by the hotel's manager. We stayed the night before and the night of the wedding; we were given the Caldey suite, a lovely surprise as we only anticipated a double room. The room was lovely and clean and wonderfully decorated - it also helped with morning prep for the wedding; being so close to the Brecon Suite (Bridal room) meant that we could use it for extra space (storing flowers etc). The wedding went wonderfully thanks to Kirsty the organiser, food was fantastic and the day went without any issues. Breakfast the morning after was perfect too. I would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms are on two floors, but no lifts - just make sure you ask for help with any extra bags if you a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

When I looked for hotels in the Cwmbran area there were really only a very limited number of options and even Cardiff hotels were listed which surprised me cos that's not what I consider close. I chose the Parkway and did wonder what I'd let myself in for......
It was a £4 taxi journey from the station and I'd definitely recommend you do not even try to walk. It's a dual carriage-way, roundabouts and although not that far, a complicated route. If you're driving the car park is ample.
The flowers, hanging baskets and huge floral displays around the hotel entrance are lovely and the lobby/reception area large and comfortable. Reception staff were really welcoming, pleasant, polite and friendly. I've never visited before so was grateful for the info about the restaurants, bars and spa/pool facilities.
My room was on the first floor, no lifts, not a problem for me and I was offered help with cases if needed. There are only two floors. My very first impression was a teeny bit chintzy but as I went around the room I realised it really did tick all the boxes and more. The bits you want to be modern are up to date, full wi fi, digital TV, digital radio. Kettle with tea/ coffee etc.
The bathroom had a bath with just the very best shower over it. The shower curtain was obviously one which is changed on a daily basis which is so important. There is a pull out line for drying stuff which I used for my swimming costume. A pull out magnifying mirror was an additional bonus as were the comprehensive range of toiletries.
I try to avoid ironing but if the urge to iron arises during your stay there is an ironing board and iron in the wardrobe where you'll also find a safe although I felt totally safe and secure during my stay so didn't feel the need to use it.
Swimming pool, therapy pool, relaxing area, café was just brilliant, enjoyed everything. Swimming pool is warm and long enough to have a good length swim. Hot tub was brilliant and very relaxing. There are sun loungers dotted around so that you can relax, read a book or the newspapers provided while enjoying a coffee or bar snack. There are loungers outside too which would be great on warm sunny days. Don't often see this in the UK but well done here.
In the restaurant or Bar the Menu was good and I had Carvery served in the restaurant which was excellent, I chose everything I wanted and the waitress carried my (very full ) plate to the table in the bar. The glass of wine was exorbitantly priced, totally ridiculous. I travel and stay in hotels regularly but the price of drinks in this hotel is way over the top but you are a captive audience as there isn't anywhere else. My taxi driver told me many people staying in the hotel say it's a brilliant place but the price of drinks is crazy and was a real put off for locals.
The most important thing for me when I'm away from home is the bed and quality of sleep and I must say the bed, pillows, quilt were some of the comfiest, most perfect and lovely I have experienced (even better than Premiere Inn which in fairness are very good.)
If the view from your bedroom window counts then you will be delighted in room 215 and many more odd numbers I guess as I had the most lovely view over the rural grassed area with bunnies bouncing all over the place, brilliant! The blackout curtains really work so set your alarm !
I'd recommend this hotel and would stay there again. Stay and enjoy the facilities, don't get drawn in by the wonderful shopping centre. I went and it's truly not worth the taxi fare. Strangely it's advertised on the train station inviting you to 'Alight here for Cwmbran shopping'. I'd always been intrigued and looked forward to the experience. It is not impressive, a small M&S, really small House of Frazer and the rest you'd see in any town centre. If you want to shop, go to Cardiff.
Do stay at this hotel, it's so good. I might even stay here in future when I have meetings in Cardiff as the train service is really good and only takes 25 mins. Staff are lovely, rooms are great, food is fab, pool perfect. What more do you want, it ticks all my boxes.

Room Tip: There are only 2 floors. No lifts. Book a room that works for you ! Ground floor rooms are brill but...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

There is no point in me leaving a comment here as the hotel will block it. Although some of the staff were incredibly helpful and polite, the evening management when we were there were appalling, absolutely no customer service skills at all, and the young bar staff were rude and incompetnent. The decor and hotel itself are lovely, and previously i have recommended people stay there but i will never do that again as my whole experience of the palce has been very much tainted by the lack of good management.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RalphWinnie
Kerry J, General Manager at The Parkway Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear RalphWinnie,

I am most concerned to read your review and I urge you to contact me direct regarding your comments .

Also. I do not understand the first line of your review, we cannot block reviews on Tripadvisor, we respond to all types of feedback through the management centre which can be read by the reviewer along with potential guests.

I have emailed you privately with my telephone number and email address and I sincerely hope to hear from you regarding this.

Yours sincerely

Kerry Jennings
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed one night as visiting Cardiff for rugby match. The staff were excellent and organised a early check in for us. Lunch was really good and a nice atmosphere about the place. The room was very good and had everything we needed. Bathroom very spacious. Everything very clean and lovely decor. The buffet breakfast was good but the bacon was overdone. Plenty of tea and coffee offered. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Did not use Spa as we did not have enough time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

buckinghamshire,england
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night bank holiday weekend.
Very impressed with the hotel and decor.
Staff were very pleasant, polite and helpful.
Requested an early check in and room was ready, very clean and tidy with all the amenities you'd expect.
Receptionist was very helpful arranging a taxi to the train station for us.
Breakfast was buffet style and was very good indeed.
Overall I got the impression the hotel is very well run and would recommend staying here if in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I would strongly reccomend the Parkway Hotel to anyone and everyone for the perfect wedding day. My wedding Co-ordinator Lucy was amazing, so understanding, helpful and I would now call her a good friend. She arranged a night before package for me, my bridesmaids, mother, mother-in-law and friends. It was so relaxing with our spa treatments, arrival drinks, three course meal and private room with sofas, tv/dvd, PJ party, overnight stay and a perfect breakfast on the morning of my wedding. I didn't have a hen night so this was a great way to spend my last evening with friends and family as a Miss!

Everything ran so smoothly and I honestly would not have changed a second of my day plus the amazing weather helped too!

Everyone had a great time and could not believe how relaxed the atmosphere was. The food was great, every member of the staff were helpful, very complimentary and caring.

If your looking for a reasonable price wedding which still has class and elegance this would be the place.

Thank you to everyone at the Parkway Hotel for making the perfect day for me and my new hubby!

Much Love

Kelly Jones

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed here last night as part of a wedding party. On arrival, Nicola on reception was very pleasant and helpful. The rooms are very spacious and have lots of mirrors and brilliant lighting which most hotels lack! Had one of the best nights sleep, the beds are very comfy. Also, the bar staff were very helpful as we were in reception until 3AM and they did everything that we wanted! Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2014
Kerry J, General Manager at The Parkway Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Jenna,

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the recent wedding you attended and that you found our team staff friendly and helpful. Your comments are very much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to share them.

We hope to see you again soon and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Parkway Hotel.

Best wishes

Kerry Jennings
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cwmbran
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Best Western Pontypool Metro Hotel
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to The Parkway Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!