“First of many visits.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 6 Blackwood B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“First of many visits.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My fiancé and I went to the Halfway for the first time, last Saturday (20th July, 2013) with friends of ours who visit there regularly. On first impressions I would say that "The Half Way" was clean, cosy and very welcoming. With the atmosphere relaxed. The service was very prompt, with friendly waiting staff. The food and drinks were reasonably priced and I would personally recommend the mixed grill for anyone with a huge appetite. Worth a visit, on a hot summers day, with lovely views from the beer garden. The only downfall were the two dirty wine glasses that came with our wine order. Other than this, very good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Northumberland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Turned up and bar-maid looked for the key to my room in a pint glass that were full of keys. Asked what time breakfast was and mentioned I had to be at work @ 06:30am, in no uncertain terms was told that I had no chance of a cooked breakfast at that time. Suggested sandwiches which were agreed. Wanted an early night, then at 22:00pm music started - never again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
3 Thank northumberlandlad

Travellers are raving about these Blackwood hotels

Blackwood, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Needed somewere near Blackwood to hold a gathering for 30 work collugues bit of a half year celebration. Picked the Halfway house, bit of characture with a local feel. Didnt want the large establishments. Anyway the landlord put on a curry and pint night, food excellent and reasonably priced. Thanks Halfway House and staff and the good natured locals for putting up with some happy (slightly drunk ?) visitors.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stopped off here around 3.30 on a Saturday afternoon. 10 adults and 11 children we were looking for a local with a beer garden for the children and a bite to eat. After a frosty reception from bar staff we asked if we could order food, only to be told that the chef had left and would be back around 5.30 - foolishly we decided to stay as the children were settled and wait for the chef to arrive. During the 2 hours we were made to feel as if the bar staff were doing us a favour in serving us drinks and one of the children was told off for pulling 1 leaf off a bush in the garden!!! When the chef turned up we were given the menu which had a list of specials that were served until 5.30 - when we asked if we could order these we were told no as it was after 5.30 (even tho we had been there for the last 2 hrs but no chef avail). When the over priced, small portions arrived one of the meals had hair in it and 2 of the meals the chips weren't cooked - I agree with a previous comment that these are nothing more than microwaveable meals!! To add insult to injury the waitress brought out the food and then expected us to pay before eating which meant we had cold food as we had at least 10 min wait at the bar. No apologies were given for the hair or even the under cooked chips!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MushP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

The food and service used to be very good until recently. Back in march we had some very poor food and thought it was a one off. Booked up for father's day today and the meal was terrible. Tiny portions burnt Yorkshire and the over all meal made a microwave meal look like a to notch dinner. Unfortunately as good a reputation this place may of had it has now gone.... Also £1.35 for a can of come is a bit steep

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank pastyboy21
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed at the Halfway House on April16th 2013.

Although it is slightly "tucked away" and not easy to find, I did eventually, with help from the staff via my phone, find my way to the Hotel.

The Evening Meal was excellent value for money, served in a cosy and comfortable Bar. I wasn't however able to connect to the free Wi fi in my room, and the Sky Card was out of date.

I would recommend that potential guests enquire on checking in if there is a Quiz Night or any function going on during the evening, as the Microphone used downstairs for the Quiz Night could be heard fairly clearly in our room. It wasn't such a problem however, as we were very tired and it didn't disturb us too much.

The Room was beautifully Clean, Bedding soft and comfortable, and the included in the price of the room Breakfast, was excellent.

All things considered this was a really comfortable "Hotel" and one which I would not only recommend, but would be happy to use again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: My Wife and I stayed in the Summer themed room, which was beautifully clean with a new Shower/Toilet...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Paul H
Blackwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Had a meal at the hotel/pub today and quite frankly, was severely disappointed. My meal was inedible with the "slow cooked beef" very tough. After leaving it, I was given a pathetic £3 discount after I complained. Personally, I don't think I should have paid for it at all. My sister's chicken stuffed with cheese was worryingly luke warm inside. The food obviously was not prepared fresh as we were denied our original order of the chicken as "there was only one sauce left"?? I'll never go there for food again I'm afraid, and it's a shame, as it's a nice pub. Shoot the chef!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nicola W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackwood
Premier Inn Caerphilly Crossways Hotel
#4 of 6 in Blackwood
Gellihaf House B&B
Gellihaf House B&B
#1 of 6 in Blackwood

Been to The Halfway House? Share your experiences!