“Top,staff ,rooms, excellent food”
Review of The Halfway House

The Halfway House
Ranked #6 of 6 Blackwood B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a lovely stay in the autumn room whilst visiting the many local castles and attractions, excellent all round ,did not want to leave as it felt like we was leaving friends behind, we will be back,

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Having been coming here for a few years now the Sunday lunch has been terrific although I have heard that evening meals seem to be a bit 'hit and miss', not sure why but it maybe a different chef I really don't know but having been a customer for some years now I have seen a few different owners come and go.
Personally I have never had a bad meal here so cannot comment on other people's comments but in all honesty I would definitely recommend this lovely pub.
have also heard from a close friend that the B and B is also very good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ken R
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed on my own at this B&B for three nights, whilst running in the local area. The staff were exceptionally friendly and accommodating. They really looked after me well. The room was spacious, modern and clean. The bed was comfortable and there was free Wifi, sky TV, and tea making facilities in the room. I ate a meal there every night, and the food was excellent, and reasonably priced. My meals were around £10, but there were more expensive specials available (e.g. steaks). I had a nut roast one night, and the chef made a veggie curry especially for me another night - really kind of him!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TeaGirlUk
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was our second visit to the Halfway House for an evening meal, both times for a birthday celebration. We found the welcome, friendly and pleasant and although busy the staff member (unfortunately I do not know her name) was efficient and helpful. There was a good selection of meals available to suit differing tastes as well as 'Chef's Specials' . Our meals were served in good time and were lovely, the table cleared quite quickly with an appropriate time allowed for serving dessert and coffee. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the welcoming atmosphere and will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

It was my first time out to the halfway and it was for a family lunch which included young toddlers. The staff were friendly towards its patrons with an excellent area at the back so the young ones can entertain themselves. There is plenty space for parking and I recommend it for a nice family outing on nice Sunday lunch

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My first visit yesterday and for the first time ever felt I needed to offer a review as it was so good. I live only about 8 miles away but have never come across this little gem previously, booked for our group of footy mums catch-up meal on the recommendation of 2 of the group. Food was amazing - proper home cooked pub grub with a gentle flair. Waitress/bar maid was a total star whatever you do keep hold of that one she was fab, desserts were amazing, house rose wine was gorgeous (that never happens !), lovely atmosphere with a nice level of background music but able to have a proper natter and in fact before we knew it we were last to leave but even so the waitress didn't rush us, inquired if we'd enjoyed everything and said she hoped we'd come back. One of our group is allergic to garlic (epi pen req) the waitress ensured they asked about level of allergy - did she have an epi pen in case of emergency and where was it and the chef outdid him/herself with preparing a suitable garlic free meal for her (you cannot believe how much garlic goes into in pub meals usually !!) . I cannot recommend highly enough and we will be back next month (in fact I may sneak down next weekend with the hubby too !) Thanks all for a fab night

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2014

After our unsucessful attempt to visit the Islwyn Inn up the road, we needed to find somewhere to eat. Parking outside on the road & in the small pub car park was crammed & we weren't optimistic. My friend went in for a recce & I wasn't optimistic frankly. When she came out, she told me that the place was extremely busy & buzzing, however the ?landlady? waitress had said that she was sure she could fit us in. They did & we had a nice pleasant pub meal, in a lovely happy atmosphere. The staff were really friendly & the meal was reasonably priced & very generous proportions (I couldnt finish mine). The waitress had been sent by the Chef to see if my meal was ok when my plate went back. We looked at the puddings menu but were both too full to indulge. Would certainly go back, on a nice Spring or Summer day I can imagine a leisurely lunch here would be a treat!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackwood
Travelodge Caerphilly Hotel
Maes Manor Country Hotel
Maes Manor Country Hotel
#4 of 6 in Blackwood
Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa

Been to The Halfway House? Share your experiences!