“Disappointment”

Price range: US$10 - US$19
Cuisines: British, Grill, Welsh
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a 15th century manor house (Morgan family, Llanover estate), seeped in history, situated in the heart of the Sirhowy Valleys. All of our meals are homemade even down to our Chips & onion rings, and prepared using only the freshest of ingredients. We pride ourselves on our quality & overall value for money.We offer a Sunday Roast Carvery, Two for One menu & Buy one get one free* steak menu.We specialise in large dinners, weddings & all other functions.We look forward to welcoming you to The Manor
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Last night a group of friends went to this restaurant, 19th September. Most of us chose the Curry carvery. We were most disappointed, one of the curries looked more like a soup. One was a vegetarian option with little veg and the others being chicken curries but none of us could find much chicken in them. Management thought that the first of our group to have served themselves must have taken most of the chicken. This was not so as the first group also found very little chicken on offer. We were a group of 16 and not one of us would recommend this restaurant and would not return again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank roamer1951

“Really worth a visit!”
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Visited last Friday (13th sept) for the first time.

Went to the Penllwyn manor with my partner to celebrate our anniversary, although it was only the two of us there dining the atmosphere was still spot on. I cannot praise the staff enough nothing was too much to ask and the lady behind the bar was so welcoming and friendly.

Now for the food!

Wow! Had starters and main course each and there was absolutely nothing on the plates we could have moaned about. Coming from two very fussy eaters but the food really was fantastic. Big compliments to the chef!
Thank you so much Penllwyn Manor - we will definitely be returning!

• Visited September 2013
Rebecca T, Manager at Penllwyn Manor, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for the kind comments. We appreciate all the feedback we get & are really pleased you decided to give us a try. We pride ourselves of the quality of our food & overall value for money. We will always stick to these standards.

We have some great entertainment lined up this Christmas, including tribute to Tom Jones & Elvis. Line ups are available on our Facebook or web page www.penllwynmanor13.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

The Manor Team
Blackwood, United Kingdom
“Really Disappointed”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Well what can I say, I wrote a wonderful review on tripadvisor about two months ago, praising this restaurant. Since then we have been back to find out the wonderful chef David at that time have left . NOW the waitress told us they have a trainee chef, and my goodness the food was awful. We had to send the Steak back as it was tough and we could not cut it.The peppercorn sauce we ordered came in a little pot and wasnt home cooked it was awful.
When we first visited we had such good food we kept going back. But we have had such a bad experience since that good chef have left that we feel sad the food have gone down hill.
We were out as a family , there was six of us and my husband and myself didnt get our food served as we had to send it back, until everyone else had finished.. This ruined our night.
Why loose a good chef. it really effects the way a food restaurant is run. We feel sorry that we wont be going to visit again as it would have been somewhere nice to eat.I did feel sorry for the waitress serving us as it wasnt her fault, she was nice and did appologise.
Bring back the Italian manager and chef frm cardiff they were good

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank diane t
Rebecca T, Public Relations Manager at Penllwyn Manor, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Hi,

I am very dissapointed you had a bad experience with us. I would like to apologise about your steak, We had tried different suppliers for our steaks the day you came in, they where not up to our usual standard & we have since gone back to our original supplier. Our chef is not a trainee, he is a experienced chef, I do not understand why a member of staff would tell you any different.

There has never been an Italian manager... The management has been the same for the past 2 years.

We always promise excellent quality & great value for money. Our standards will never drop, I would love it if you would return so we can change your perception. We are now holding a steak club every Saturday 12-9 pm, I would like to offer you a complimentary meal to make up for your not up to standards meal you experience when you were here last.

We hope to welcome you back very soon,

The Manor Team
“My view on how amateur the service delivered was!!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The meal had been prebooked over 6 weeks ago & with all 17 meal choices given at this time. A jacketpotato was so small that chips were added to the order. The
Order of a rodeo burger with no onions admittedly came with no onion rings but with huge chunks of raw onion in the burger. This was two of mistakes made! Not once did anyone come to ask was everything ok & when we asked for coffee we were told there was no milk what a disappointing meal it gave the impression that you were playing at restaurants and to be honest will never risk returning to see if it was a one off experience.

• Visited August 2013
Rebecca T, Manager at Penllwyn Manor, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Hi there,

I am very surprised at this review, as nothing was said on the night & everybody seemed very happy with their meals.

I am sorry you was not happy with your experience here, although I would like to point out- you were table checked but left alone as you where having a drumming session. It was requested that you where to be seated in a private room.

I am also sorry that you was not happy with the size of your jacket potato, as stated, we did make this up with a extra portion of chips, that we did not charge you for.

Also, your pre-order stated 'Manor Rodeo burger-NO ONION RINGS'. If you did not want onions at all, it is normally stated NO ONIONS- as all of our burgers contain onion, unless requested otherwise.

I don't agree with your title 'Amateur service', as all food was brought out 8.30 pm as requested and the service was fast & you were table checked regularly, but everybody is entitled to their opinions.

I am very sad you thought so little of the effort that went into making it a great evening, and wish that you said something, as the rest of your party clearly enjoyed the evening.

I would love for you to come back & let us change your perception,

Regards,

Rebecca
Blackwood, United Kingdom
“Excellent value home cooked food”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Myself and my husband booked a table at the penllwyn manor. We went on a Friday night, well what a lovely surprise the menu had a great selection of foods and there was a two for one section.
The owner David was very friendly, and helpful, and the service was excellent, we were served immediately
We had a steak , which was not on the two for one section but was well worth the money. well cooked and tender and there was different home made sauces i.e peppercorn Stilton and port. we had lovely garlic bread and a side .combo. even the onion rings were home made and what everyone wants. Home made CHIPS, not frozen rubbish.
We did not have room for a desert as we were so full, What a fab meal. We have since been on a Sunday for the carvery, Again just like home cooked Sunday dinner
. Will definitely be making this a regular eating place. So glad we found something near to home with good food.

• Visited July 2013