“Terrible”

The Bay House Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #28 of 106 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Dine alfresco on a lovely terrace with breathtaking views of Dickenson Bay, surrounded by the scents of tropical flowers at the Bay House Restaurant & Bar. Known as Antigua’s best kept dining secret we are renowned for our superb, fresh, tasty local and international cuisine, our friendly staff and immaculate service which has earned us a recommended status on TripAdvisor. Recognized as one of Antigua’s “top-tables” we offer an informal elegant fine dining experience with carefully selected dishes featuring local and international cuisine. A favorite amongst locals and international business travelers and leading chefs and restaurateurs.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Worst service we've seen any where. Staff is so rude and even there is 10 tables empty they still want you to wait 40-50 min. and when we ask them why you're not giving us the table the answer was that's how we do it if you don't want to wait that's your choice. While we're waiting another family left the table while eating claimed that food is nasty so we left too.

Cheryl C, General Manager at The Bay House Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to send us a review.

It saddens us to hear that your experience with us was unpleasant. Please note we take complaints about poor customer service quite seriously and all reported matters are reviewed and corrective action taken.

Again thank you and we sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Entering this restaurant is a pleasure of it self! It's so beautiful with the pool and the breathtaking view!
The staff was wonderful and we got seated in the front row of tables .
We had a plane to catch and we told the waitress that we were in a hurry.
Well, the service could not have been better and the food was good.
We ordered a tomato soup, which was delicious, and Cibatta sandwiches that was great.
The sandwiches came with fries and they had two different kinds , one "wedge " sweet potato fries that was fantastic. Water , a bottle of wine and espressos and the meal came to about $80.oo
Great setting and price. Will go back for breakfast on our next trip Heard it's fantastic!

Cheryl C, General Manager at The Bay House Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Many thanks for your wonderful and excellent rating of our Restaurant. We are very pleased to hear that both your meal and service was excellent. See you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was disappointed with the service on my last visit to Bay House but I decided to be fair and give it another try. We were seated immediately but we were left to bask in each other's company while the staff served and seated parties all around us. After waiting for approximately 25 minutes without a sideways glance or reassurance that we weren't being ignored, I made reservations at another restaurant and my date and I left. On our way out, the waitress informed us that she was just coming to us... really? 30 minutes after our arrival, this must be a new record. I won't vote terrible because I didn't have food but the service left much to be desired. I won't be returning.

Cheryl C, General Manager at The Bay House Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to send us a review.

It saddens us to hear that your second experience with us again was unpleasant. Please note we take complaints about poor customer service quite seriously and all reported matters are reviewed and corrective action taken.

It is also quite understandable that after such an experience why we wouldn't be considered as a dining option but we do hope that we do receive that 3rd chance.

Again thank you and we sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This used to be one of my favourite restaurants in Antigua, however for whatever reason I had not been here in several years. So I was really looking forward to going there again.

What a disappointment! First, the service was really poor. We were at the table for nearly 20 minutes before our glasses were even turned over and water was poured, let alone having an order taken (we were given the menus as we sat down). Also, our table was uneven (rattled as it swayed back and forth) and this was not fixed until we had nearly finished our meal.

The food was average to sub-par. The soups were just OK. My companion's whole snapper was very good, but my vegetarian meal was inedible. Believe me, "inedible" is a word I very rarely use in a restaurant review.

On the upside, the atmosphere there remains fabulous, and two courses (for 2) with a mid-priced bottle of wine was a mere U.S. $103, a real bargain in Antigua.

The barman said that "90% of the guests are here on business", so maybe that is the problem-----Trade Winds has really become a business hotel. Like another reviewer, I've been going there for a long time (over 30 years-------even back when it was known as L'Auberge de Paris). But it's going to be a very long time until I go back. It probably works fine as a business destination or lower-expectation dinner, but I do not recommend it as the "special night out" destination that it used to be.

1  Thank cessnapilot

Thank you for your review. It is quite unfortunate that your experience at our Restaurant was below par, in both service and meals, please accept our sincerest apologies.

Our hotel has indeed become a favourite among business travellers but we still very much cater to vacationers and leisure guests and statements made to indicate otherwise are incorrect.

Again we apologize for the unpleasant experience and we do hope on your next visit we see you again.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Had dinner at Bay House 3 times in the last three weeks with friends and it was unanimous.
"Better than ever". Quality of food, presentation and service were excellent. We have been going to this restaurant for over 20 years and found it exceeded our expectations this season.
One night, the whole red snapper was my choice. Another night I had chicken saltimbocca and last visit tried the sword fish. Tasted stuffed pork loin and seafood past; all excellent. One disappointment was the tapas of fried squid. Go early to catch a breathtaking sunset from the balcony overlooking Dickenson Bay.

Cheryl C, General Manager at The Bay House Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Many thank for your wonderful review on your recent dining experiences at our Bay House Restaurant & Bar. We are very appreciative of your comments on the food, service, staff and atmosphere...apologies for falling short on Tapas.

We do hope to see you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!