“Thank you Elmo for one of the BEST days of our honeymoon!”

Luxury Safari Antigua
More attraction details
Owner description: Elmo's Luxury Safari offers you an informative,historical and personalized experience traveling around Antigua. With over twelve years of touring experience,elmo himself will be your guide on this exciting journey, as you travel in air conditioned comfort, making stops that will give you a taste of our local culture, good cuisine, scenic views, history and more.
Reviewed 29 June 2012

First I must say to Elmo that I am sorry it has taken me a few weeks to write this review, but here it is! After reading the reviews here, I knew I had to give Elmo a shot, and I am so happy that we did. My wife and I were on the island for our honeymoon from May 23-30th. I had contacted Elmo via e-mail a few days before our arrival, and when I got to the resort, I received a call from his sister, welcoming us and confirming the tour. I mentioned in my e-mail that it was my birthday on May 25th (the day we went), and on that day, Elmo arrived promptly (a bit early even), and with his big smile wished me a happy birthday right away. He is truly a sincere, nice man who has a lot of pride in what he does and his country. Immediately upon entering his van, he mentioned that in order to make this day special for us, he re-arranged some things so it would be only me and my wife. Very nice! Right away he began to point things out and give us some history lessons. Our first stop was Betty's Hope. Very sad as it is deteriorating, and Elmo was very upset at the lack of national pride. He then took us to their national cricket stadium which was very cool. A history lesson there, then we hopped back in the van and headed out to Devil's Bridge. This by itself is worth the price of admission. Truly amazing to see this natural wonder. We found out here that Elmo can't swim so don't push him in the water! Back in the van and we scooted over to Nelson's Dockyard which was very well maintained. Be sure to stop at the museum, and this is a good place to grab a tee-shirt (but buy from the vendors outside the dockyard as they're much cheaper!). What was nice here is he gave us 45 minutes by ourselves to walk around. Now if you take more or less time, he doesn't care - the whole tour is at your pace. We took about an hour here. Back in the van and up to Shirley Heights. All I can say is WOW. What a spectacular view. Simply amazing. We snapped a ton of pictures here, sat around admiring the views (including Eric Clapton's Peninsula that he owns!), then it was time to eat!! He took us to a local restaurant where my wife and I tried some local dishes that were really good. Elmo stayed with us and we had some really good conversation with him. He is such a nice guy and very enjoyable to just sit and chat. In today's day and age of technology, it was nice to just sit, eat, and chat. For dessert we hopped back in the van and stopped at a local shack that had the BEST pineapple in the world. I know what I speak of here as I HATE this fruit, but agreed to try it. If I were allowed to take some home I would have bought every piece of fruit that had. Black pineapple - so sweet and soft it melted in your mouth. Just WOW. Then one more stop at a local beach before heading back to the resort. Just an amazing time with a great guy. Also to illustrate how nice he is - after getting back to our room, I realized I left a $250 pair of REVO sunglasses in his van. He called me up and asked me if I lost my sunglasses, then after doing a tour with another couple the next day, came to our resort which is out of the way for him, and dropped of my sunglasses. He didn't have to do this, but it was very appreciated. If you visit Antigua and don't do on this tour, you've basically missed out on a wonderful time full of memories that will truly last a lifetime. Thank you so much Elmo for a spectacular birthday and great time!!!!

4  Thank BLTZ4G

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My wife and I totally enjoyed our tour of Antigua with Elmo. He should be named the ambassador to the world for the island because he is so passionate about sharing it with you. His knowledge of the history, culture, flora, fauna is exceptional. We booked the tour early in our trip, the second full day on purpose in order to see where we may want to go back to visit during the week. Outside St. John's city, Elmo will take you to see many of the top sites and historical spots. We had lunch at a restaurant on a beautiful west side beach. 27 miles off in the distance you can see the Island of Montserrat. You will also see areas where the average tourist does not go and misses out on seeing the real Antigua away from the resorts. After a day with Elmo, you will appreciate the Island of Antigua and it's people.

4  Thank Sharon_Al
Reviewed 26 June 2012

First off, I should have written this review weeks ago!!!! I took my mom to Antigua at the beginning of June, and before I arrived I set up an appointment with Elmo's tour. I read soooooo many good reviews that I figured people had to know what they're talking about. Well, they were right but I don't think they did him justice. Elmo goes out of his way to show you 80% of the island and its jammed packed with informative tidbits.

Don't freak out if you get to the island and you haven't heard from him yet! He'll hit you up early in the morning about a couple of hours before your tour to make sure you're up and ready. When you meet him in the lobby he will be well dressed and ready to take you on an adventure and show you how proud he is of his island. The island has good and bad history just like most country's that were tainted by slavery, but the local knowledge is priceless!

I know not many people get to experience this, but Elmo felt so comfortable that my mom and I got a chance to briefly meet his beautiful daughter as she was leaving church. Afterwards we toured more of the island and had BLACK PINEAPPLES!!! The sweetest and best pineapple's in the world!!!!! My mom and I literally ate the whole plate of samples (which was equivalent to a whole pineapple). Of course I bought one after that.... I felt bad about eating the lady's samples ;)

Then the lunch at Turner's Beach was pleasant and felt extremely private. Nothing was overcrowded and everything felt catered to us. I don't know if it will be like that for you, but that's how it was for us. Maybe it was because we went at the beginning of June?! Regardless, I highly recommend this tour and if you go I promise if you say, "Sha-hid told me to pick this tour", it will bring a HUGE smile to his face and you'll probably get special treatment. Sometimes its good to name drop... Especially, when it ensures you'll have a better time than EVERYBODY else!

Next time I go to Antigua I'll probably hit up Elmo just to hang out because that's how cool and laid back he is. Not some foul mouth tour guide that's cracking profane jokes, but a respectful man that has a really great business in Antigua!

God Bless,

Sha-hid

4  Thank Rhealyblessed1
Reviewed 9 June 2012

My boyfriend and I had the honor of meeting one of Antiguas finest tour guides in Antigua. Elmo truly cares about his heritage and the history of his island. He was very professional, fun, and a truly wonderful person. He was informative and knowledgeable. He even took the time to explain to others who were not a part of our trip the true history behind things. We even got to taste pineapple, sugar cane, and ate at a wonderful restaurant. He went out of his way to help us with another excursion that we wanted to do. We both feel this was the best day of our trip. We highly recommend Elmo to anyone who wants to experience the true feeling of Antigua. Thanks Elmo for a wonderful day!

3  Thank Beth A
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and i had the pleasure of touring Antigua last week with the "uber" tour guide Elmo. He was informative and knowledgeable about the history, culture and natural attractions of Antigua. He picked us up at our hotel promptly at nine am and we spent almost five hours touring the island. Highlights included : awesome Devil's Bridge, Betty's Hope, Shirley Heights, and the Nelson Dockyards. The trip was so enjoyable, and well worth the cost. Elmo will customize to your needs. Much more personable than standard organized tours! Plus we found out he has other talents like playing bass guitar! Tour include lunch at a small Caribbean restaurant, which was the only part which were less keen on - food was so-so but Elmo has other options! All in all, we highly recommend.

2  Thank Jojosottawa