“Lovely Resort”
Review of Jumby Bay Island

Jumby Bay Island
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Stayed in 2010, but site wouldn't permit this date entry. Transfer from airport to resort was flawless, gracious welcome at dock. Upon request, we were upgraded to a spectacular pool suite; furnishings, huge bath, linens, Nespresso machine, and TV were of top quality. Pool was lovely, but lacked privacy. Lawn area leading to beach was not on as pristine. Beach- contains many starfish,heavy sea grass on ocean floor took some getting used to, platform deck was a nice touch.
Beach-comfortable lounges and good sun protection; attentive and warm service, but no napkins, told to use towel at bar. Lovely infinity pool at end of property where we had
lunch, which was of excellent quality, but service was spotty. Breakfast-food was very good, but they didn't replenish buffet, so get there early or request items from staff and they will get
it from the kitchen; chairs were often stained with bird droppings; service was poor, as waitresses were often not visible and slow in greeting us. Dinner- in formal restaurant was OK, but oppressively hot; preferred Veranda, excellent lobster and lamb chops, service was excellent in the evening.
Enjoyed management's positive attitude, biking on island, complimentary snorkel trip to nearby island, white night.
Didn't like- mosquitos, but staff provided bug spray; exorbitant prices at gift shop; fitness room was tiny and had weak air-conditioning; food trays left outside rooms too long.
This is resort for those who enjoy solitude; evening entertainment consisted of a DJ one night and a steel band another night, nothing the other three evenings. Even at the manager's cocktail party, the guests don't appear to socialize, so be prepared for this if you come to Jumby Bay.
We won't return because we did not perceive a good value, even though it was "all-inclusive."
We have been repeat guests to Jamaica Inn and Curtain Bluff, staying in their most expensive suites; while not perfect, we felt that for the same money we received and overall superior experience.

Room Tip: Look at site map if you want privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kathy K

Reviewed 10 January 2012

We recently returned from a 9 night stay at Jumby Bay over the Christmas holiday and were disappointed overall.
Starting with our arrival at the airport, we were NOT met by any hotel staff as many other reviewers have mentioned and after collecting our own luggage and dragging it outside the airport we spotted a stand with a Jumby Bay sign but still no staff. We waited awhile until finally some of the other drivers tracked ours down. On our way to the dock, where we were to take the ferry to the resort, the driver called ahead to let the hotel know we were on our way and to ready the ferry but when we arrived at the dock there was no one there and we waited in the dark for about 30-40 minutes. I eventually called the hotel to find out what was going on and they assured us the ferry was on its way but when it did finally turn up the driver told us he had only just got word that we were waiting for him.
This whole episode made us a bit wary of the quality of service we might expect but we decided to let it slide and hoped the rest of the trip would make up for the rocky start.
Unfortunately, this was not the case. The service over all was very inconsistent with one staff member being helpful and another being completely aloof and not going that extra mile that you would expect from a five star resort. To list a few examples:
We traveled with our 21 month old son and requested some apple juice as this is his drink of choice but the juice they brought was from concentrate and he wouldn't touch it. I asked if they might be able to get us any fresh pressed juice and this ended up being too difficult of a request so we spent the rest of the trip trying to get him to drink anything for fear he would become dehydrated. Finally at the end of the stay one of the more helpful staff brought us juice boxes which he drank but when we ran out they weren't able to get us any more and brought us a substitute which he refused to drink.
The food quality was average to not good. The majority of the waiters/waitresses and room service staff found it impossible to correctly take an order and never once got ours right. We often waited close to an hour to get our room service orders and received food which was not even close to what we ordered but we didn't want to send it back as we would've ended up waiting another 45 minutes to get our food. The only restaurant where the food and wait staff was decent was the Estate House but even here the food quality was inconsistent and got old after a few nights.
The second night of our stay we were kept awake until 4:00AM by some people in the next room who were talking and laughing loudly to the point where we had to drag our sons crib to the other side of the room for fear he would wake up.
The problem was not with the partiers in the next room but the fact that we even heard them. I have never stayed at a five star resort where the rooms were so close (literally separated by a flimsy door) that noise from the neighbours was an issue.
We were moved to another room after we complained of the noise but our new room ended up being a breeding ground for mosquitoes and we were eaten alive nearly every night. We requested a new mosquito net as the one which covered our bed was old and sagging and full of holes. We never got a new one and instead one of the house keeping staff came in with needle and thread to try and patch up the holes which was a waste of time and never worked. We requested a mosquito vape repellant but were told they were all out and it would take a day or two to get us one. My son also ended up covered in mysterious bites or some kind of rash and would wake with new bites/bumps every morning. This is not the kind of thing you would expect to have to deal with at a five star resort.
We got the sense that, due to Jumby Bay being an all inclusive resort, they were trying to cut corners with the quality of the food and that the grocery shopping was done some where where they could buy bulk for cheap i.e: the large visible cans of Planters Peanuts at the bars. If you ordered a fruit smoothy at the beach bar, the only real fruit might be a banana and the rest sugary syrups. Where were the REAL fresh fruit juices and smoothies you might expect from a high end resort? The first night we had dinner at the Veranda restaurant the house wine they offered tasted as if it had turned and the explanation we got was that they were having temperature and storage issues. Needless to say we didn't try the wine again.
The beach is set up very nicely but it is nearly impossible to get service and if you wanted a drink you had to walk to the beach bar and get it your self. This would not have been an issue if we weren't at a so called five star resort but, since we were expecting five star service it was a bit annoying. One day we spotted some of the guests with fresh coconuts but when I asked for some from the bar I was told that it would take a day to arrange some for us. When I went back to the same bar tender the next day he gave me a blank stare which lead me to believe he had never followed up on our request then proceeded to give me some excuse as to why he never got any for us...something about them being scarce and difficult to get which made no sense since we had just seen guests on the beach with them. This kind of service goes against their motto of "no request is too great".
On the second to the last day we decided to get a nanny for our son so that we could spend some time relaxing on the beach and by the pool. Our nanny was great and our son loved her so we kept her for about 7 hours. When we got the bill at the end of our stay the bill for the babysitter came to nearly $400! When we asked why it was so high we were told the we had her on a holiday (Dec 27th? Apparently it was boxing day...) and that we were being bill 2.5 times the usual hourly rate. We felt completely blindsided by this and wondered why no one bothered to mention this to us BEFORE we booked the nanny.
All of the above are just a few examples of why we were not thrilled with our stay at Jumby Bay. It's a shame as the island, beaches, weather etc were beautiful but not worth $2000 a night for the quality of service, food etc we received. Definitely NOT at the level of any other five star resort I have stayed at. I would have been happier with the over all stay if I had known I was paying closer to $500 a night.

Room Tip: Don't book the Rondavel Room. The Pool suites and Courtyard villas are much nicer, bigger and ne...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
28  Thank Londonite79
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We booked a Rondavel Room for 8 nights. Didn't want to leave. This hotel is one of the best, if not the best, hotels we have experienced. On individual items (e.g. comparing the rooms to Jade Mountain) there might be better options, but somehow Jumby Bay brings it all together in a way that we just couldn't seem to fault. Basically, it's the staff - it's always the staff that make or break a place. All seemed to 'have ownership' or whatever the trendy management phrase is. To give an example, we were playing tennis one evening and the light was fading. We didn't know where the floodlights were and it was getting close to the time we'd have to go to Reception and find out. One of the staff members, Kenlyn I think his name was, was riding his bike past the courts on his way somewhere. Screeches to a halt, backtracks and shouts "let me sort you out some lights". Runs over to find the lights, on they go, off goes Kenlyn on his way. You just don't get that in 9,999 out of 10,000 hotels.

To some factual matters. First, the room rates seem eyewatering (to us anyway), but then you discover that you do not pay for a thing, and they do not try to nickel and dime you at all while you are there - it's all top notch stuff. Second, although the Rondeval rooms are the older rooms they are full of character and very comfortable.

There are three restaurants, the Estate House being the most atmospheric although we found the food at the Verdanda to be a little better (that's not to say the Estate House wasn't good).

One other tip, not connected with the hotel, is that Antigua airport's departure routine is chaotic. We waited in line for at least an hour to get through passport control (and there is no fast track). It may be worth trying either to get there a bit earlier if there are a number of flights or departing on day when it's less busy.

Room Tip: Rondavel rooms up to no. 9 are closer to the main areas but do not have a plunge pool - we'd opt...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bilbo2
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My parents took me and my sisters and our husbands and kids to Jumby for a week in December. Since we had two children with us, they decided to rent one of the houses on the island so we could all be together, have a kitchen, our own pool, golf cart and what not… Let me tell you, Jumby Bay did not disappoint. When we arrived to Antigua and were whisked through customs, we came outside to have limos waiting to take us to the docks. It was really nice having this arranged because we probably had 20 pieces of luggage. The boat then took us the short distance to the private island. We loved our house. It was perfect and they stocked it with all the food that we had requested in advance. It was so much fun riding bikes everywhere. Since we rented a house, we also had a golf cart to use.

Not once did we hear the words no. My husband wanted a Frisbee and they didn’t have any, but said they will get us one by tomorrow. When we wanted French press coffee at the Verandah restaurant, they went to the Estate House and got us some. It’s the little things….There was one other child on the island and for the whole week the “Kids Club” was open and activities planned just for these 2 kids on the island. We also used the babysitting service many times at that house and found Ms. Benjamin to be wonderful with my sisters 4 month old.

My favorite part of Jumby was the “Sports Shack” or whatever they called it. It was set up at the end of the main beach and you could just walk up and grab a kayak, paddle board, Snorkel gear, they would take you water skiing or you could take a sailboat. They had nice Hobie sailboats and my husband and I went sailing every day. We know how to sail, but they also have people there that can take you out. I have never been so active on a beach vacation.

We also really enjoyed the food at all the restaurants. The breakfast was fantastic and I loved the burger at the pool grill. We really loved every meal we had. We also had a private white tablecloth picnic lunch on one of the other beaches that they set up for us. This was sooo much fun and I highly recommend it. There are also various resort activities you can take part in that we loved. From a cooking class with the chef, to snorkel trips, sunset cruise, white night beach party, tennis camp… There are plenty of things to do if you want, which was nice for my whole family of different ages. Or you can sit on the beach and do nothing. Both are equally nice at Jumby. They also have a great spa that we went to a few times. The resort was full, but it was never crowded. You didn’t have to race for a chair by the pool or on the beach.

Make sure you use the bug spray, the mosquitoes can be annoying, but other than that I don’t’ really have anything negative to say about Jumby. I thought the main beach and water was great and never saw the seaweed that some people talk about in other reviews. We sat in the same spot next to the beach bar every day so maybe we had a good location. The planes flying over are a non-issue. I think I noticed a plane flying over once a day, maybe. We are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Cricket84
Reviewed 27 December 2011

This is a belated review of our summer vacation to Jumby. I traveled with my husband and then 18 month old daughter for 8 nights. We asked for a 1 bedroom suite (so that we could put our daughter to bed and still have a separate living room space to hang out) and were upgraded to a beachside court room, which is a large room with no dividing room between the bedroom area and the living room area.
I was slightly hesitant to accept the upgrade as we were looking forward to having a space to sit after she went to bed, but it truly worked out fine! In fact, the room was much closer to the beach and the (newer) pool than the 1 bedroom suites were. The sitting area outside had a table, a couple of chairs and 2 loungers, and was partially under a roof, all overlooking the ocean. So while she was sleeping, we were sitting outside. We were able to lock the courtyard door, as well as the room door for safety (not that there are ANY safety concerns on Jumby, but any mother tends to have irrationale fears on a regular basis! ;)), we left the door to the patio open slightly and made use of the baby monitor that the resort provided. It worked out perfectly.
First, other than the room, I want to speak about traveling to Jumby with a young toddler. This couldn't have been an easier vacation for this age! It was great not worrying about going off the property to eat, dealing with car seats, etc. Golf carts can bring you to the restaurants if you need (or anywhere). The resort made sure our taxi from the airport to the boat had a carseat. Upon arrival at the resort, we were welcomed with the usual amenities - 2 rum punch drinks and cool scented clothes (amazing smell!) - what made us smile though was that they had a small glass on the tray next to our rum punches - a non-alcoholic punch all ready for our daughter! She was even excited about it! They also made sure we had a nice crib with linens (no crinkley, undersized Disney style pack n' plays here!), a stroller, baby soaps for her and a constant supply of milk and snacking goodies in the room fridge. While this is an all-inclusive, it is nice to have snacks on hand while you are getting ready for dinner, etc. to keep a toddler occupied! Within moments of arriving to our room (before we could pull our cash for tipping unfortunately!), a restaurant manager arrived at the door asking what supplies we would like in the fridge for our daughter. Within 5 minutes he was back with the requested item on a tray. Nice touch Jumby!
The staff was also GREAT with her. Every meal was very peaceful as they constantly reached out to her. Three meals a day for 8 nights and I think we had one minor breakdown the whole time (the second day of course, when the exhaustion from the travel had caught up with her). The staff seems to genuinely care about the children and made it a point to come over to her frequently to smile and chat with her. Maybe to some, the constant attention at your table would not be as appreciated, but we LOVED It! The attention kept her very content so we could enjoy our meals. Now and then they brought her small toys to keep her busy ad made sure that her favorite foods were right there for her. And, if you are not traveling with a child, do please at least once order the mac and cheese off the children's menu for yourself! YUM! The menus were fine for her - mac n' cheese, pizza, pasta, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, all the usuals were there, although our daughter tends to like exploring a bit - so the spicy fish taco at lunch, the fried calamari and the hummus all went down just fine also! And, to top off the experience, our daughter's wardrobe of dresses was a constant source of discussion with Melinda, a manager. We arrived back at our room the last night to find a dress from Antigua on the desk from Melinda to our daughter! A very touching thing for her to do!
Moving away from child-talk, the rooms were beautiful, updated and kept very clean. I couldn't wait to crawl into the bed each evening - so comfy (on the softer side, which I like!). Fridge, as noted, was well stocked, bar service was great. The staff on the beach were great and knew our names and favorite drinks by the second day.
The variety at the restaurants was fine - but you do need to mix it up. Don't go to dinner at the Verandah every day. Try the white night beach buffet, go to the Estate House (beautiful!), etc. I loved the pool grille for lunch because the fish tacos were amazing and the view over the pool was beautiful, but the lunch buffet at the Veranda was awesome. Each day a little different and the displays were very well done.
The bikes for each room were great. They had a toddler seat for us and the baby loved riding behind her daddy as we rode around the island looking at the houses and sights.
I did have a pedicure and massage at the spa and it was great - the treatment rooms are open on one side (although they will draw the curtains if you would like) and the breezes were so great. The next day my french pedicure chipped, so I went over and she fixed me right up!
The beach was beautiful and the water is nice and calm. While the starfish were beautiful and awesome to see, I was a little disturbed/concerned about stepping on them! I felt more comfortable just taking a float out deeper where I couldn't accidentally land my feet on one! There is a building at the beach that deals wih the water sports. They had a HUGE bag of sand toys that they let me rummage through. I was able to take a good supply of toys to keep her busy for the week and we were told just to leave them in our room or at our lounge chairs when we left. So easy.
I know that the planes have bothered some reviewers . . .yes, you see/hear them during the day time hours. Can't recall how often, but I want to say maybe every 45 minutes to an hour? I think what bothered me a tad more (and not to the fault of Jumby at all!!) was the view of Antigua! That side of the island is built up some, and not all housing. You do see some smokestacks dotting that side of the island and it sort of ruins your view, not to be overly dramatic! There is nothing that can be done, it is just simply where the resort is situated and doesn't by any means ruin your vacation - I just prefer looking out over the water, or even to the shorelne of another island, so long as I am not watching smokestacks! Truly though, it did not take away from the experience, but just want you ware of the surroundings. I just faced my chair to the right each day, so I was looking towards the ocean instead of Antigua.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank timeforvacation
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Beautiful location, exceptional quiet beach, beautiful views. On a private island across the bay from Antigua. The villas are exceptional, private with outdoor shower and bath as well as indoor. A private pool with a waterfall which changes colors at night.

The food is outstanding, at all the restaurants. I had the best filet mignon that I've ever had on an island in the Caribbean where I saw no cattle! And where the main food is fish( but I couldn't eat it every night). The lamb chops were superb. Bikes to get around, it's a big property. The fish was incredible. Beer and island drinks.Not wine.

Downsides: the grounds are dried grass and dirt. Hard to keep green despite watering...yet they do it on Arizona golf courses, so it can be done. Antigua itself is worth seeing for Nelson's Dockyard, and not much else. The airport can be a nightmare leaving, but arriving, we were met by the hotel staff and driven to the dock to take the boat to the island.

Overall, a wonderful getaway for a weekend or a week.

Room Tip: The villas close to the beach, each with its own pool.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank skitraveler
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Controlling the controllable.

Jumby Bay could not control the few bad days of weather but everything else within their control was executed flawlessly.

This is a lengthy thorough review but given the few currently on Trip Advisor I wanted to cover as much as possible.

Arrival:
Getting to the hotel was a breeze. After clearing customs (took way too long, the airport is eerily inefficient they clearly aren't staffed for three planes to arrive/depart at one time) a woman asks where you are staying. We said "Jumby Bay" and where whisked outside to the Jumby Bay stand and greeted by a lovely woman while we waited for a town car to take us to the dock. The dock was less than a 10 minute drive where we waited about five minutes for the Jumby Bay ferry. The ride to our private island was less than 10 minutes where we were greeted by lovely Rita dockside. Check in was a breeze by the bar as we sipped on a lovely rum punch. A quick imprint of my credit card and we were whisked away by golf cart to Courtyard Suite 27.

Location:
Jumby Bay the island is lush and and well spread out. This really does not feel like a "hotel.". The resort is well spread out along the coast with the rest of the island having monster private "compounds" along the coastline of the rest of the property. There is a lot of open space throughout the island making it feel very remote. The bikes outside our door are a great way to see the 300 acres. A 30 minute bike ride let's you see the entire island. Since this is an island the resort really is all there is to do. If you are looking for an active nightlife this really is not the place. You can take the ferry over to the Mainland but we never did.

Room:
We had booked a Courtyard Suite but with the Fine Hotel program through American Express they give a complimentary upgrade if available. We were hoping for the upgrade to the pool suite. I was told the upgrade wasn't available but if a pool suite opened up we would have the option of moving (we moved the next day). Our original suite was #27 which had a great view of the water. I would try to get into the suites 27-40, they have the best views. The pool suite we moved into was suite #20 and while the view was decent the rooms in the 30's clearly were the best for being close to the water.

The room itself was great. A living room and bedroom with a gorgeous bathroom off to the side. The outdoor spaces were great, we really enjoyed having the pool after a long day on the beach. We would wind down in the pool at sunset with a cocktail. The bathroom was great and the open air concept shower was luxurious. The outdoor shower and tub got a bit of getting used to but you end up trusting the courtyard walls being high enough for privacy.

The bed was extremely comfortable, with great linens.

A room with no key took a bit of getting used to but we just locked all valuables in safe during the day. At night once in the room you can lock all the doors from the inside.

Dining:
Overall the food was quite good with a lot of selections which changed daily. My only disappointment was that a few evenings only one of the two restaurants were open for dinner because of the resort being slow. It would have been nice to be told this before we arrived.

The Estate House: the more "formal" of the two dining options. They request that men wear long pants, which was a bit annoying given I'm on vacation and what the hotel costs but not the end of the world. The staff was AMAZING and I wanted to give special recognition to Melissa, Joseph, Patrice, Lois, Franca, and Seon. The fantastic staff at the Estate House went out of their way to make experience enjoyable and fun. They even made sure that the chef baked key lime pie (not on the menu) for my wife's birthday.

The Veranda: is the more casual dining option and the go to stop for breakfast. Maureen at the front desk was always a great way to start your day. Food selection was quite good for breakfast.

Pool Grill: nice casual spot for lunch. Easy walk up from the beach for a sandwich, salad, etc. And the Jumby burger was fantastic!

Two dining experiences that were great were "white night" Sunday evening where the Veranda has a big barbecue on the beach with local cuisines. On Wednesday night the "Taste of Antigua" at the pool grill was the highlight meal. The chef (can't remember his name) from the Pool Grill makes all types of local foods. Everything was fantastic, and the chef was a blast. It as a horrible name but the Goat Water is. Must try!

Beach:
The quality of Jumby Bay beach and water was a bit of a disappointment. I would give them both a B-/C+. The beach is tranquil and beautiful looking but the sand is far from powdery soft like elsewhere in the Caribbean and more course and gravely. The beach itself is fairly narrow but ample for sitting and relaxing. There are approximately 40 covered with Palapas each with two lounge chairs, a raft, and two low sly back chairs that are great for sitting in the water and reading. The beach service was a bit iffy. Certain days as soon as we were seated we were greated with a server that brought a cooler of bottled water and a snack, but other days we literally had to use our yellow flag to get any sort of attention. Food from the Pool Grill can be delivered right to the beach.

The water from afar looks inviting but again was disappointing and not great for swimming. Depending where you were located on the beach anywhere from 15 to 30 feet from the beach the water became cloudy, lots of sea weed, and a bottom that frankly felt more like a squishy lake bottom than a tropical oasis (frankly it was disgusting). I guess that's what you get with a "bay."

Internet:
The room was equipped with free wifi which worked surprisingly well. Really no signal on the beach or other common areas.

Gym:
Small but very ample for a resort this size. Of the five days I worked out each day I was the only person in the gym. It is well equipped with three treadmills, two cross trainers, a stepper, and two bikes. There is a small weight area with dumbbells up through 50lbs and two pulley weight towers.

Staff:
The staff really made the resort! Rosewood has done an exceptional job of training the entire staff from the housekeepers the front desk. Everyone waves, everyone says hi, and most amazing to me is they all greeted us by name. As someone who is horrible with names the name recognition was fantastic and made for a very warm overall experience. It was amazing as well that when ever we got a ride n the golf card back to our room after dinner they always new what suite we were in.

Housekeeping:
Generally very, very good. There were a few minor issues but not enough to detract from the overall experience. Housekeeping was done twice a day, with turndown service at night with slippers, a bottle of water, and a pastry waiting bedside each evening. The few times we needed housekeeping for matches, extra towels, etc a quick push of zero on the phone and the were there in less than 5 minutes.

Misc:
-At night use the Off provided in the room. The Mosquitos like to come out and play
-Request Form: fill out the request form sent by the Joel because they do a great job honoring requests, noting special occasions, etc.
-Kids: I'm not sure why'd you really want to bring kids here, there isn't a ton to do. The do have a kids club during the day. At the risk of sounding like a grump, if you do bring kids to a resort that is close to $2,000 a night make sure they know how to behave n restaurants and on the beach. We aren't paying those prices to hear crying kids, or a yelling child ruling the solitude and quiet on the beach.

Overall a five star stay. Everything was fantastic especially the staff from the front desk, to the restaurants, to the bell hops, all very magnificently trained. Thanks for a great trip.

• Stayed: December 2011
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Jumby Bay Island? Share your experiences!