“Bliss at Jumby Bay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Boston, Massachusetts
“Bliss at Jumby Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

My wife and I just returned from Jumby Bay, and would have to agree with many of the reviews posted - it is a tranquil, beautiful, isolated island just off the coast of Antigua, with incredible service, fine cuisine, really friendly staff, and a nice beach. We were there for 4 nights - just about the right amount of time for us. If you're there longer you'll need to be the type of person who doesn't mind dining in the same places night after night. I loved the fact that the hotel provides complimentary bikes to its guests - my wife and I enjoyed biking to breakfast and touring the island that way. The fitness center is top notch - some of the alternative places we looked at were lacking in this regard. I would HIGHLY recommend this property, and encourage you to book a courtyard suite - I know it's more money, but the Rondavel rooms looked tired to me, and out of the way. The courtyard suites are so beautiful and new, and really well located near the beach. Splurge and get one. About the one downer I can think of is the amount of seaweed in the water - you have to pick your spots on where to enter, exit the water because of it. If you go be sure to say hi to Jenny at the beach bar - she is fabulous! As is Melinda, who is the most friendly and gracious hostess. Bilss..

Room Tip: book a courtyard suite
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TPC37

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have been to the Caribbean many times and always to different islands. Jumby Bay is one, though, we will definitely return to. Everything seemed to run seamlessly, which made our vacation so relaxing. We definitely appreciated the warm, welcoming attitude that is consistent among the staff. Our room accommodation (Rosewood estate suite with small pool) was absolutely lovely and advertised correctly. We overlooked the beach which was was clean, pristine, and had lots of fun water options to choose from. We never felt bored. Also, we loved that there were no cars. It was so relaxing to walk or ride our bikes without worrying about traffic and the absence of street noise was wonderful. While this is an expensive resort, we felt it was definitely worth it!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the beach with a pool option are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pmw072351
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights and we were completely blown away by the courteous & friendly staff, the tranquility, our beautiful oceanfront beach view villa, delicious food and above all the beautiful beach. we loved biking all over the island. The highlight was on the last night we had a private candlelight dinner on our porch overlooking Jumby Bay. We will definitely return someday!

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Addproud
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Great sevice and staff. excellent food. great dining. can use bicycles to get around and tour the private island. Has gym to workout and good tenis. Nice entertainment. Met a lot of great people. Has special events. Views are spaectacular. Pick you up in a limo at the airport. sometimes you have to wait for the other guests to arrive before they will take you across the water to the resort.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mart s
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

“A secluded little piece of paradise where each suite offers a breathtaking view of the beaches as well as everything you need to feel right at home. I never wanted to leave the beach — crystal blue waters, white sand, palm trees and flowers line up along the edge of the sand and boats and sailboats dot the horizon. It was like living in a postcard. Be sure to take advantage of the bicycles that come with each suite — a fun way to explore! The oceanfront infinity pool makes you feel like one step closer and you’ll be right in the Caribbean — beautiful.”

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Consigliera-S
Barnsley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at Jumby Bay from the 19th of January 2012.
The hotel is fabulous very expensive but well worth the money and a total relaxation place for busy people.
The rooms are excellent and the staff well trained and pleasant but the only problem is the food!!!
We have stayed in many of the best hotels in the world and in the carribean so can compare the food to these.
I am not going to mention the problems we had with the food but i will update my review after returning at easter and hopefully will be in a better position to upgrade the rating to 5*

Mark & Alison Betts

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mbetts
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Being in the travel business I can’t tell you how many times I have clients with the following request: “I want a beautiful remote island with a nonstop flight”. Ha! Not exactly the easiest request! However, getting to Jumby Bay was surprisingly much easier than I had anticipated and once there, it is truly a feeling of your own private island paradise. Upon landing at Antigua Airport and clearing customs we were transported by private 5 minutes car ride to the private Jumby Bay Boat and then another 10 minute crossing to Jumby Bay Island. Piece of cake! We were checking into our room within one hour of landing!
As you approach the island by boat you can’t help but notice what looks to be one spectacular looking beach. Being the beach lover that I am I thought to myself, “ummm, I think I am going to like this place”. Jumby Bay definitely has the aura of being at a very exclusive and private country club, which it kind of is. Jumby Bay Island consists of approximately 50 multi million dollar homes and villas with a 40 room hotel managed and operated by Rosewood Hotels. The hotel room rate includes everything such as meals, wines by the glass, water sports, etc. There are also villas and homes for rent on the island.
The grounds and the scenery are pristine and well maintained. There are beautiful grass fields, with wild sheep grazing and everything is very nicely landscaped. There are small paths that run throughout the island, there are no cars, and everyone gets around by golf cart or bicycle. Each hotel guest is provided with their own beach cruiser bike. Even my 4 year old had his own little bike with training wheels! Coming from NYC, riding our bikes was an unusual pleasure. We thoroughly enjoyed riding to breakfast, or to the beach or simply exploring the island. It really gave us the feeling of truly getting away from it all. Of course, if you do not want to ride a bike it is very easy to stroll around or the hotel will gladly fetch you in a golf cart, which we did when going to dinner at night.
Overall, the service was excellent. Any and every request we had was quickly and easily taken care of. It is obvious service is a very important asset to the hotel and they take it seriously. I got the impression that many of the staff had been with the hotel for many years, took pride in their work and were good at what they did. There were those one off situations such as when we asked for mustard when our meal landed on our table only to finally receive the mustard after we had already finished our meal. However, with the extensive traveling I have done I can’t say that I haven’t experienced that same situation in many high end Caribbean & Mexican luxury hotels. It’s just not the New York “instant gratification” mentality. We were satisfied with the quality and diversity of food and restaurants. I often find I am a bit disappointed in the quality of food when I travel to Caribbean and Mexico however I didn’t find this to be the case.
We had reserved a Courtyard Suite which was one of the newly built rooms within the hotel. I strongly recommend if you can afford a Courtyard suite category or better it is worth the expense. I did tour all of the room categories (and some villas). Feel free to email me if you want help deciding what category is best for your needs. The Rondavel rooms are the original room categories and they tend to be surrounded by more vegetation and landscaping which tends to make them feel not as bright and fresh as the new room categories. While they were completely renovated a few years ago, they just don’t feel as pristine as the new room categories. The bathrooms in the newer rooms were exactly what you see on line with the outdoor bathtub and shower. Very sexy. The rooms are all very large with high vaulted ceilings and plush furnishings. The desk area was very well thought out with plug-ins for computers conveniently located directly in the top of the desk. The outdoor patios in all the rooms are very nicely appointed with teak lounge chairs and dining table and chairs. A perfect setting for room service to be delivered to enjoy any meal. And not to mention, some of the rooms also have private plunge pools. The island is so safe that there are no keys provided for your room! If you are a family with small children and looking for more than a one bedroom, the hotel creates a two bedroom Rosewood Estate by connecting two one bedrooms, which will provide you with a ton of space however the bedrooms are located very far from one another, so beware. Again, if you need more help understanding this, drop me a line.
Jumby Bay is a perfect destination to quietly sit under a palm tree and do nothing at all or keep yourself busy from morning till night. The main beach at the property is the epitome of the perfect beach. The photos on the website of the beach are very accurate. What you see is what you get….. Which, as some of us know - is sometimes not the case. Pristine clear blue water, silky white sand. Amazing! There is no crowd on this beach. The hotel has lounge chairs and palappas set along the beach that are spread far enough apart so you feel as if you have your own private beach. The one downside, which didn’t bother me too much, is that the main Jumby Bay beach has a distant view of the island of Antigua which includes the commercial port of Antigua and airport. However this reminds me to mention that there are other beaches on the island to explore. There are plenty of water sports activities available including waterskiing and wakeboarding which is not so commonly included in most hotels. The water sports guys were great. They took my husband waterskiing everyday and were very accommodating and easy going and enjoyed entertaining our four year old. The hotel also has daily complimentary activities including cooking classes, sunset cruise, snorkeling tours, etc. We took advantage of some of these offerings. I liked that they were available for us to enjoy and that there wasn’t an additional cost to participate. The hotel has a very comprehensive kids program. During our stay our 4 year old was the only child at the hotel and the women who run the kids club could not have been more accommodating entertaining our son for a few hours each morning giving my husband and I some time to enjoy the beach together.
All in all I highly recommend Jumby Bay. It is a great destination for couples, honeymooners and families. It is an upscale luxury resort and is worth every penny.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Carlisle Bay Antigua
Carlisle Bay Antigua
#4 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!