“Top Caribbean Resort”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
San Francisco, California
“Top Caribbean Resort”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

People often forget how difficult it is to run a luxury resort in the Caribbean. Many items we take for granted on the mainland must be imported to these islands. For the most part, the labor pool from which managment must hire is limited. Resorts can't "steal" cream-of-the-crop employees from the luxury resort across the street. Typically, most resorts in the Islands run on "island time"........ and you just have to put up with less-than-perfect conditions/service if you want to enjoy the beauties of the Caribbean.
Which is why I was totally surprised by the stellar service we received at Jumby Bay. From the minute we stepped off the private launch onto this island resort, we were pampered in exactly the same fashion as had we been at any Four Seasons Hotel on the mainland -- perhaps better! From the very first greeting, we were addressed by name (with a smile) by the employees. Didn't have the flavor ice cream I wanted for dessert? Someone ran off to the other restaurant to fetch it for me! Problem with a light bulb in your room? Someone showed up at our door within minutes to fix it! "No" just didn't seem to be in their vocabulary.
This level of service was somewhat puzzling, because Caneel Bay (another Rosewood Resort on St. John, USVI) -- while managed by the same high end hotel company -- just can't seem to pull off the "service". Don't get me wrong....... I love Caneel Bay (thank God for the 100 point natural setting!), but you just learn to put up with second class service in the USVI. I never realized that I could find a place in the Caribbean where you didn't have to settle for standard service!
Two small caveats: 1) This resort caters mainly to families. If you don't want to be surrounded by kids, this may not be the place for you. However, we had no problems, as everyone was very well behaved. 2) There basically is only one (beautiful) beach, but no snorkelling. If you want to snorkel, you must be tacken via boat to another island (thrice weekly). So if you are looking for a place where you can snorkel right off your beach (like Caneel Bay), this also might not suit your needs.

Room Tip: The suites were spectacular. Definitely worth spending the extra over the standard rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Matthew K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is one of the most wonderful resorts I have ever visited. We were there as part of a group for a work event, so we stayed in the resort villas but also spent a great deal of time at a few of the estate homes. The entire island is fantastic, and the service is top notch. The resort is quiet, but there is plenty to do. The beaches are beautifully maintained and easy to access. The food was better than any food I have had in the islands. My husband and I were very impressed by the menu offerings and the quality of the food. (Best fish tacos ever at the pool grill). The spa was good - the staff was extremely accommodating. The property itself is beautifully maintained, the rooms are generously sized, and the outdoor showers are perfect! (don't worry- no one can see you, and they have indoor ones in the rooms as well). We are hoping to return and rent an estate house with the whole family soon! If you want an island getaway, this is the place to truly get away from it all!
If you are looking for a party scene, this is not the spot for you. It is perfect for honeymooners or families that are looking for privacy and great service. I felt safe and carefree - it may have been the most relaxed I have been on a vacation in years :)
The trip from the airport to the island was quick and painless - which was a pleasant surprise.
I highly recommend this resort. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelgirl955
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My family and I just retuned from a week at Jumby Bay - and what a wonderful week. The property is wonderful, the food was terrific, and the service was literally among the best I've ever experienced. I unfortunately had to work for three days during out trip, and that was easy as well - the hotel is set up to accomodate those unexpected needs to connect back to "the real world". I don't as a rule write reviews, but I was so pleased by our trip, I wanted to share. The kids were planning our return on the flight home.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Margaret V
Bray, Berkshire
Reviewed 22 May 2013

If you can only have one really special holiday in your life then make sure you have it at Jumby Bay!

We went there for my partners "special" birthday then our wedding 2 days later. From the moment we arrived at the airport terminal we were made to feel very special indeed. Absolutely all the staff were amazingly friendly, efficient and determined to make our stay, and the wedding especially, a huge success and they achieved that superbly.

There honestly was nothing at all to criticize expect the torrential rain on our wedding day and the fact that we ate and drank far too much.

It's unfair to single out any one individual but the wedding planners Rita and Melinda went very far out of their way to make everything perfect. They were so involved and my wife and I could not thank them enough. Every member of staff knew exactly what was going on and were so lovely in their interest and good wishes. The hotel was incredibly generous in the gifts they gave us.

Chef Claudio was fantastic, Scott amazing as my "Best Man", the rooms, restaurants, bicycles, beach (and bar run by Genevieve), water sports all fantastic.

What a really great time we had. We've promised to return for an anniversary. We both hope it's soon!

Thank you so much to one and all.

Room Tip: The beach side villas are truly amazing!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrislangdon
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I spent 5 unforgettable days on this very special island and there is no better place to relax and to be pampered! The staff is over the top, the new villas are stunning, the food by Sardinian Chef Claudio is over the top, the spa treatments are the best I ever had and the beach is stunning. Riding around the Island on my bike with no worries about traffic is just the best. I love this place and if I make it into Heaven, I want it to be like Jumby Bay!

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jack L
Positano, Italy
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

My mom decided to spend her birthday in Antigua and no other place came to my mind than Jumby Bay.
We were greeted by the amazing Resort Manager David Candillon and Guest Relations Manager Melinda right at the dock.
Within 5 seconds of arriving everyone was already wishing my mom a Happy Birthday and making her feel special
Every single detail counts in this property from the cold towels upon arrival to the delicious passion fruit welcome drinks to everyone remembering your name and greeting you with a smile.
Elaine makes the best lime squashes.
Adele from the gift shop is a fashion goddess. She had us trying the entire store, having a blast, honest and constructive feedback. She made us forget that she was a sales associate and actually became our friend.
The restaurant was amazing, food delicious. Melinda surprised mom with a birthday cake. David came to say hi and check on us. He is always around making sure guests are well and enjoying the resort.
The girls at the front desk are great, warm, professional, caring
This resort is amazing, gorgeous, beautiful beach, very pretty landscaping but what makes THE difference is the staff and the impeccable customer service.
Everyone REALLY genuinely cares if you are enjoying yourself from the Resort Manager to the landscaping worker. An example to follow. Well done JB. We will be back. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank DoctorEA
London w4
Reviewed 12 May 2013

i have reviewed Jumby twice before...so will only add a few comments:

-for us (2 adults, 2 kids 13 and 10) it is the best on so many levels...it is the intangible 'ambience" of the overall vacation that wins the day...you may find better sea in Maldives, better sand in Turks, better food etc etc but no resort delivers the complete experience than Jumby

this time we were very fortunate to stay in a privately owned house...beyond words !! ...but i would walk from London to Jumby irrespective of accomodation

I spend a lot of time in hotels with work and leisure and believe Andrew Hedley is the most visible GM, the most focused on training the staff to deliver the experience yet allowing their wonderful personalities to shine through. Every engagement with staff is natural and warm and Jumby has some incredible characters

Not sure writing reviews is good for Jumby lovers....we have only just managed to book again for Xmas 2013 but demand is high !!!!

Room Tip: Private house if you can afford it, otherwise courtyard suites next to spa ( 1 min from beach)
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!