People often forget how difficult it is to run a luxury resort in the Caribbean. Many items we take for granted on the mainland must be imported to these islands. For the most part, the labor pool from which managment must hire is limited. Resorts can't "steal" cream-of-the-crop employees from the luxury resort across the street. Typically, most resorts in the Islands run on "island time"........ and you just have to put up with less-than-perfect conditions/service if you want to enjoy the beauties of the Caribbean.
Which is why I was totally surprised by the stellar service we received at Jumby Bay. From the minute we stepped off the private launch onto this island resort, we were pampered in exactly the same fashion as had we been at any Four Seasons Hotel on the mainland -- perhaps better! From the very first greeting, we were addressed by name (with a smile) by the employees. Didn't have the flavor ice cream I wanted for dessert? Someone ran off to the other restaurant to fetch it for me! Problem with a light bulb in your room? Someone showed up at our door within minutes to fix it! "No" just didn't seem to be in their vocabulary.
This level of service was somewhat puzzling, because Caneel Bay (another Rosewood Resort on St. John, USVI) -- while managed by the same high end hotel company -- just can't seem to pull off the "service". Don't get me wrong....... I love Caneel Bay (thank God for the 100 point natural setting!), but you just learn to put up with second class service in the USVI. I never realized that I could find a place in the Caribbean where you didn't have to settle for standard service!
Two small caveats: 1) This resort caters mainly to families. If you don't want to be surrounded by kids, this may not be the place for you. However, we had no problems, as everyone was very well behaved. 2) There basically is only one (beautiful) beach, but no snorkelling. If you want to snorkel, you must be tacken via boat to another island (thrice weekly). So if you are looking for a place where you can snorkel right off your beach (like Caneel Bay), this also might not suit your needs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 300-acre private island located just two miles off the coast of Antigua, Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort casts a spell of serene enchantment. A naturalist's haven that plays host to a variety of wildlife a midst the tropical foliage and pristine, white sand beaches, this all-inclusive hideaway is recognized world-wide as a private island resort paradise. With 40 luxurious resort rooms and suites, and a host of privately owned residences, Jumby Bay's exemplary hospitality is something that has long been lauded by the Caribbean's most discerning travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jumby Bay, a Rosewood Hotel St. John`s
- Jumby Bay Antigua
- Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort Antigua/Saint John Parish