“3rd time and better than ever”
Review of Jumby Bay Island

Jumby Bay Island
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I just returned from out third trip to Jumby last week. Each time we go it seems better than the last and it hurts more to leave. As we arrived we were met by Rita who remembered not only our names but our favorites and preferences. We were greeted with cold drinks and the check in process was done in 5 minutes.

We were picked up by cart and taken right to the pool grill for lunch while our luggage was brought to our room. Less a half an hour after we hit the dock we were enjoying my favorite all time meal - the fish taco. There is something about a fish taco at the pool grill at Jumby Bay that just makes me happy.

We arrived at our pool suite and again no matter how many times we have been before it never fails to impress. The rooms are beautiful, well appointed, and just plain huge. As a pleasant surprise treat there was a bottle of wine and plate of snacks as a welcome back present from the Manager Andrew. A very nice touch. We had the pleasure of running into Andrew several times over the week and he always made a point to ask us how our meal was or how our room was or just how it was going in general. He really cares about his guests.

Since we both had very hectic schedules lately my wife and I were looking forward to relaxation and privacy. That is what truly sets Jumby apart from other resorts. The beach was never crowded and the beach bar staff was always making sure you had a beverage or offering fresh fruit without being intrusive. Laying on one of the floaties is the calm clear warm water of Jumby is relaxation perfection.

There was nothing to do but relax yet plenty to do if you wanted at the same time if that makes sense. Melinda was around drumming up attendance at cocktail parties, boat trips, cooking demo's, etc. There was always a friendly crowd at the bars especially with Genevive manning the beach bar. Lime crushes and Jumby Jamborees. Yum.

Our room was impeccable maintained for the whole week and we never saw anyone from housekeeping coming or going. We would leave the room and it was like magic. Poof - bed was made and fresh towels appeared. Having the dipping pool right outside the bedroom was incredible. Relaxing in that private pool watching the sun go down each night over the palm trees and the beach while enjoying a drink and a cigar is simply a thing of pure beauty.

The food was good. They certainly upped their menu from the last couple of visits adding new things and taking away some things. The new chef is French and the French influence is definitely felt. It is definitely evolving and combining the classic French techniques with the fresh Caribbean ingredients is elevating the menu in an exciting direction.

My wife had a few sessions at the spa and was very happy.

There are certain types of people who like to nitpick and complain. You could hand them a million dollars and they would complain you gave them too may hundreds. If you are interested in relaxing on a pristine not crowded beach with no one trying to sell you jewelry or braid your hair, while receiving impeccable and friendly service, terrific food, in one of the most beautiful settings on the planet then Jumby is for you. I was so depressed when our trip ended I literally wanted to cry getting back on the ferry to the mainland. It psychically hurt. I felt actual pain. The only way to make it go away was realizing I would be back.

Room Tip: If its in your means get a pool suite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MikeyRavioli

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I travelled to Jumby in low season, right after they reopened. I found the resort to be in prime condition, obviously ready for the season. I felt I was the first one to visit and found the facilities and staff engaging and motivated, and extremely welcoming. I was concerned about the weather, but we happened to have clear and sunny skies every day, and the waters were calm, clear and stunning. We had planned to take trips to the main island, but the resort provided such a great atmosphere, serene and carefree, that we ended up not leaving our private island paradise. We stayed in a suite with a private pool. We really did not use the pool, but it was a nice amenity. We did take advantage of the outdoor shower and bathtub every day. That was the most incredible experience. The food was fantastic, considering it is a fully inclussive resort. I felt the quality was really good and the menu was simple, easy to understand and enjoy, and perfect for a resort getaway. Used the bicycles to go around the island and felt Pasture beach was quite a find. Raw, natural, organic. We did not see the the turtles... but we did find the tracks. Maybe we were too late... breakfast in the Veranda restaurant kept us busy every morning. The pool grill gave us the best fish tacos ever, and the view was phenomenal. The beach there extends into very shallow waters, and we enjoyed walking around and laying in the sea right there. Plenty star fish, as promised in their website pictures. Beach bar ladies were always on the ball, ready with the next cocktail. I wish I could have peaked into the private residences. They look stunning, and if you are looking for accommodtions for a family trip, I do not think this can be beat. The resort is extremely safe, it is a private island and the staff is always available and engaging.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

From the moment you step off the boat and set foot in Jumby Bay Resort you are aware of how special a place this is. the staff is superb and they all go out of their way to Jamie sure you have the most memorable, relaxing stay of your life while you are their guest. The food is excellent, especially lunch at the pool terrace and dinner at the Sugar House. We prefer the pool suite, but it really isn't that much larger than the non pool suite.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PAPoodles
Reviewed 14 October 2013

we're so glad we chose jumby bay as our honeymoon spot!! the property, rooms, staff, food, etc was the best we've ever experienced and we cannot wait to return someday (hopefully soon!) we particularly enjoyed the watersports, beach picnic and the bikes. everyone was so friendly and genuinely went out of their way to make our stay more enjoyable. I cannot say enough great things about this special place!!

Room Tip: we loved our beach front cottage
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmoondawgie
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The people are there to serve you. Always smiling! A beautiful island treat with beachside service. At pasture beach you share it with hawksbill sea turtles. You can view a resort turtle nesting if you want. The researchers are there to inform you about the endangered species.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I will start by mentioning that this was our 20th wedding anniversary and I had arranged and booked this entire trip to surprise my wife. Prior to our travel I was contacted by the concierge department at the hotel regarding any special wishes or needs. I had mentioned to them that it was our 20th wedding anniversary and they suggested several options including a romantic dinner on the beach with a private butler. They also set up a private menu for me for this occasion. Upon arriving at the airport we were greeted by one of their staff members in the baggage area who then escorted us to a private seven series BMW waiting for us to take us to the private Dock. From here we boarded a boat and a short 10 minute ride to the island. When we arrived at the island one of the two heads of guest services, Rita was there to greet us. I will have to mention that Rita and Melinda are the two heads of guest services and were remarkable through the entire week to cater to our every wish. During the stay at the resort all of the other staff were amazing and very carefully selected for their people skills. I would love to mention all of their names in this review but unfortunately there's not enough room.

We were then taken to our rooms which were remarkable. We had an amazing view of the ocean and the facilities and then the room were superb. I was surprised at how much Rita knew about myself and my wife. She then let us in on a secret and stated that they Google all of their guests coming so that they can find out more about their lives to be able to cater the experience to them. I was quite surprised and impressed by this. The food at the restaurants that we attended was quite good and the evening festivities were also excellent. The beach area was remarkable. We also took one excursion to swim with the stingrays and that was also a wonderful experience.

Out of all the resorts and hotels I've stayed at around the world this may not have been the most luxurious but was still excellent five-star facilities but the service and the quality of the people working here was the best I've ever experienced. This includes Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons and other resorts and hotels of this caliber.

I would very highly recommend this resort whether for a couple or for families. My wife and I both returned the most relaxed we have ever been at any resort. I am looking forward to the next time I can go back hopefully with my whole family...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Arunski
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

What a week
Such a great place no cars no keys no cash required (whilst here!) private ferry friendly staff
A place to easily switch off and relax
Only complaint would be the too friendly Mosquitos !!

• Stayed: August 2013
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Curtain Bluff Resort
Curtain Bluff Resort
#2 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to Jumby Bay Island? Share your experiences!