My wife and I just returned from out third trip to Jumby last week. Each time we go it seems better than the last and it hurts more to leave. As we arrived we were met by Rita who remembered not only our names but our favorites and preferences. We were greeted with cold drinks and the check in process was done in 5 minutes.
We were picked up by cart and taken right to the pool grill for lunch while our luggage was brought to our room. Less a half an hour after we hit the dock we were enjoying my favorite all time meal - the fish taco. There is something about a fish taco at the pool grill at Jumby Bay that just makes me happy.
We arrived at our pool suite and again no matter how many times we have been before it never fails to impress. The rooms are beautiful, well appointed, and just plain huge. As a pleasant surprise treat there was a bottle of wine and plate of snacks as a welcome back present from the Manager Andrew. A very nice touch. We had the pleasure of running into Andrew several times over the week and he always made a point to ask us how our meal was or how our room was or just how it was going in general. He really cares about his guests.
Since we both had very hectic schedules lately my wife and I were looking forward to relaxation and privacy. That is what truly sets Jumby apart from other resorts. The beach was never crowded and the beach bar staff was always making sure you had a beverage or offering fresh fruit without being intrusive. Laying on one of the floaties is the calm clear warm water of Jumby is relaxation perfection.
There was nothing to do but relax yet plenty to do if you wanted at the same time if that makes sense. Melinda was around drumming up attendance at cocktail parties, boat trips, cooking demo's, etc. There was always a friendly crowd at the bars especially with Genevive manning the beach bar. Lime crushes and Jumby Jamborees. Yum.
Our room was impeccable maintained for the whole week and we never saw anyone from housekeeping coming or going. We would leave the room and it was like magic. Poof - bed was made and fresh towels appeared. Having the dipping pool right outside the bedroom was incredible. Relaxing in that private pool watching the sun go down each night over the palm trees and the beach while enjoying a drink and a cigar is simply a thing of pure beauty.
The food was good. They certainly upped their menu from the last couple of visits adding new things and taking away some things. The new chef is French and the French influence is definitely felt. It is definitely evolving and combining the classic French techniques with the fresh Caribbean ingredients is elevating the menu in an exciting direction.
My wife had a few sessions at the spa and was very happy.
There are certain types of people who like to nitpick and complain. You could hand them a million dollars and they would complain you gave them too may hundreds. If you are interested in relaxing on a pristine not crowded beach with no one trying to sell you jewelry or braid your hair, while receiving impeccable and friendly service, terrific food, in one of the most beautiful settings on the planet then Jumby is for you. I was so depressed when our trip ended I literally wanted to cry getting back on the ferry to the mainland. It psychically hurt. I felt actual pain. The only way to make it go away was realizing I would be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 300-acre private island located just two miles off the coast of Antigua, Jumby Bay Island casts a spell of serene enchantment. A naturalist's haven that plays host to a variety of wildlife amidst the tropical foliage and pristine, white sand beaches, this all-inclusive hideaway is recognized world-wide as a private island resort paradise. With 40 luxurious resort rooms and suites, and a host of privately owned residences, Jumby Bay's exemplary hospitality is something that has long been lauded by the Caribbean's most discerning travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Jumby Bay Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jumby Bay, a Rosewood Hotel St. John`s
- Jumby Bay Antigua
- Jumby Bay Island Antigua/Saint John Parish