“Paradise on Earth (bis)”

Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
New York City
“Paradise on Earth (bis)”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We just came back from our second trip to Jumby Bay, or shall we say paradise. What an unbelievable resort Jumby Bay is. As if it was possible, our second trip there was even better than the first one. The staff gave us a warm welcome back to their island, remembering us and our preferences, and making us feel like royalty day in and day out. Food and beverage got even better, we literally had a fantastic and relaxing time. You would be hard pressed to find a more happy and warm staff. Every single individual on staff tried to make our stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

We would recommend Jumby Bay to anybody who wants to unwind while being catered to and pampered by a friendly staff. The trip down there from New York is so easy and fast that it makes the experience that much more enjoyable. Please do yourself a favor and visit this resort. We guarantee that you and your family will not regret it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PO1976

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We spent 5 nights at lovely Jumby Bay, all inclusive 5 star all the way! Food was fantastic in all their restaurants, unusual high end chefs for a resort. Customer service was out of this world, best we have experienced and we are frequent travelers. One if my sandal straps broke when arriving for dinner, they asked my shoe size, after they poured wine a pair if spa slippers appeared and a bag for my shoes! The suites are phenomenal, if we could give 10 stars we would! Snorkeling was ok but they can't control the sea! Bikes provided for all guests right down to ones with training wheels. High compliments to Mr Hadley, his managers Rita and Melinda and their staff. How they recruit or train such happy polite teams is very impressive.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ebrutscher
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Writing this review over-looking Jumby Bay Beach, as we wind down a spectacular one week family spring vacation. Here's why Jumby Bay should be your next vacation:

- Jaw-dropping beach and sea beauty; perfect for younger kids (ours are 8 and 5) to explore and perfect for adults to peacefully unwind
- you'll never feel crowded at the resort, plenty of "breathing" space from the real world (and other guests)
- while we spent a few nights in a charming Rondavel suite, the Pool Suite we moved into for 5 nights took the vacation to a whole new level, with the modern luxury, private pool, outdoor shower, and ocean views that you expect from a Rosewood; trust us, splurge for this type of room, it really is a big difference
- the inclusive beach and sports activities were outstanding, from a snorkeling excursion, water skiing boat, paddle boarding, Hobies, and kayaking
- solid food and drink throughout our stay, highlighted by the ambience and dishes at the Estate House and the local flavors of Caribbean night at the Pool Grille

Some staff members stood out during our week:

- Rita, who graciously greeted us from the Jumby boat, and looked in on our trip throughout the stay
- Melinda, whose friendly and caring demeanor was always welcomed, buy her children's book at the gift shop!
- Genevieve, the best bartender in the Caribbean at our favorite beach hut in the world
- Flavere, who charmed our kids at Rosebuds and on 3 babysitting nights
- Randolph, who manned the kitchen during an entertaining cooking class
- Jerry, the friendly tennis pro that ran me all over the place for an hour

Our only concern as we leave is how quickly we can return!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank CB328
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is a family hotel. Also great for friends or couple that are not looking for a honeymoon destination.

ROOMS=>
The only reason we have not given 5/5 is because of the below:
We made the mistake to book Rondavel room instead of the Suite. We were hoping for a complimentary upgrade that we usually get with Amex. Unfortunately the hotel was full and we could not get it so we spent our first 3 nights in this room. So disappointing. 3-4 star comfort hotel and we were really unhappy for the price we were paying. Everything needs renovation in the room we had (loud air conditioning, very old bathrooms, outdoor shower also needs tlc). The only thing that has been renovated in the room was the bed (luckily). We have been told by the manager that they are studying a project that will have these rooms removed in favour of suites. We had room 007 => DONT GO or pay extra for the suite it is worth it.

The last 2 nights we spent in Beach side courtyard Suite... What a change! It felt like another hotel! This is the kind of comfort/room we were expecting from the beginning. This is what you see when you look at the website. Our Suite was number 28. Very nice courtyard outside, beautiful bathroom with shower indoor and outdoor, outdoor bath. Comfortable bedding, modern AC... No pool outside but no need for that as the beach was 1min away.

We loved the fact that there were no keys to our room... felt in complete freedom on the resort.

BEACH=> It really is a beautiful beach. Stunning, you can walk it back and forth all day long... Very very clean. We went to Jumby Bay when the hotel was full and despite that it did not feel crowded at all. You get spoiled by treats all day long just lying on the beach (juices/ snacks/ amazing frappucinos...). Everyone is so friendly; special hello to Franca :)

POOL=> We did not bother spending time by the pool as it is small and it is the place where all children spend their days. Perfect for families. Not a relaxing atmosphere around it I have to admit.............

SERVICE=> excellent service. You can tell that they are working hard to please you. The only negative is the long wait to get buggies... but you have the bikes with you to fill that gap.

ACTIVITIES=> Make sure you book before! We made the mistake not to book and luckily we got a spot to do a tour of the island with the EXTREME boat. It was worth it and a lot of fun (snorkelling/ sting ray park...). You get to see the whole island of Antigua from 10am until 4pm

Other activities:
*Great for jogging around the island, big island and you can admire the villas all around. Really stunning ones...
*The gym at Jumby Bay is ok. Enough to do some cardio exercise and weights but would need renovation.
*Tennis - they have a good court and teacher there, have seen people playing from 7am.
*Diving - not directly from there, you need to take the ferry and go to the main island. Not that convenient.
* Water sports - perfect. Very lively all day long with water skying etc.

FOOD=> Good for an all inclusive. Decent amount of choice and 2 main restaurants for dinner (3 for lunch). Not a lot of menu variety but you get different buffets for dinner during the week.
The best restaurant is The Estate house; the chef is Italian and you can tell the difference. You need to book in advance to get a spot.
It was the first time I went to a luxurious all inclusive hotel and I have to say it was great. They are very generous with portions/drinks/cocktails and their wine selection is very good. You feel in complete freedom to order whatever you want.

SPA=> Is good. It's not amazing. The facials are not great... very crafty... despite the fact that they use good products. The massages are good, although could not feel the difference between one or the other. Let's say that one should not come here for their SPA. There is no real attention to details compared to other 5 stars I have done. Average overall needs improving.

To summarise the resort is not great for diving/snorkeling/honeymoon but great for family/ friends life/ (or not new honeymooners couples).... Jumby Bay is exactly what you expect from a Caribbean resort: comfort, beautiful beach, relaxation, sunbathing, beach activities without feeling completely far from civilisation for instance with food (very European/American).

Room Tip: Suites only
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank go2728
new york
Reviewed 17 March 2014

There is one word to describe this place- amazing. The best caribbean trip I've had in a long time. I'll start with the welcome- we were greeted at airport and wisked away to the boat dock quickly. A short while later the boat arrived- about 5-10 minutes boat ride you are at the resort where Melinda greeted us so nicely. Bags were in room after we had lunch. We stayed in a one bedroom beach villa with pool. Very nice room- large bathroom- plenty of water pressure and hot water, minibar stocked with favorites which you are asked about prior to coming, excellent air conditioning. Televisions with multiple channels which I never watched. Room has small pool- more of a plunge pool. Quick walk to beautiful beach, great smooth sand, crystal clear water with starfish throughout the water. Great service at the beach, drinks available all day, drink samples and food samples passed out through the day, both alcoholic and nonalcoholic. Excellent coffee frozen drink at 4pm, smooth pina coladas at the beach bar which is a fun place to be in the later afternoon. Breakfast/lunch fantastic- there is a menu as well as a buffet, where the cold food is actually kept cold on refrigerated trays. There is wine at all meals included and I thought the house wines were good- I think they could add one premium house white/red wine for lunch dinner though. Dinner was good, many choices and different restaurants to choose from, we missed the beach barbecue. So what makes this place so special- the people that work there. Everyone and I mean everyone is friendly, happy and will go out of their way to help you. They remember your name. Melinda is amazing, she is so on top of things. It is truly an amazing group of people. And their happiness definitely wears off on you. I have never been so relaxed on a vacation. No worries really- don't need to worry about anything- its all there- you want another drink go have one and there is no wait for it, more food no worries. Its really is don't worry be happy here. The food orders come promptly. The beach is kept clean. Internet on the beach. There was one special surprise which we had (won't ruin it by telling you) which just made the trip so perfect. The departure was smooth and organized with everyone waving goodbye. Other things- we took cooking class one afternoon which was lots of fun. Spa was nice- again everyone so friendly- spa is extra. Nice warm infinity pool at the beach restaurant where you can have lunch (not super large pool). I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but it was truly amazing. Now of course nothing is perfect- its all inclusive which means you don't think about eating and drinking (actually you don't think about anything much) and I'm five pounds heavier. Its pricey and whether its worth the price is an individual decision- there are additional surcharges of taxes, service when you check out which adds up a bit. The evening dinners were good but I thought for the price could have been a little better. They need a few more beach huts/chairs- they run out early in the day. So how does it compare to other resorts on Antigua. Carlise Bay- I was there a while ago and the beach at Jumby Bay is so much better. Curtain Bluff- Jumby bay has much better beach, better food and more updated facilities. The beach at Jumby Bay is beautiful but it is a cove like the rest of the beaches in Antigua so you can't walk for miles down the beach like you can in Anguilla. There are children here so pick weeks when there is no school breaks if you don't want many children, we are thinking of bringing our children during one of their school breaks next time. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other great things but to sum up a beautiful place and GREAT group of people working there. I have never felt so stress free after a vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank flierm
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 February 2014

After reading the reviews, my husband and I were so excited to arrive at Jumby Bay for the second leg of our honeymoon. We stayed 5 nights in a Rondavel and loved every minute of it.

Arrival:
Very smooth! After the short water taxi, we were greeted by Rita and Melinda. Both were extremely friendly. We were given a short run down of the resort with our welcome drinks in hand, then whisked away to our room by golf cart. Our luggage was already in our room when we arrived.

Room:
I was pleasantly surprised by our rondavel! Before our trip, I was searching for details about these rooms but could only find information about the beach/courtyard suites. Our rondavel was modernly decorated and had a comfortable king sized bed, flat screen tv, mini bar stocked with all of our favorite things, bathroom with double sinks, and even an outdoor shower! We had a wrap around patio that really made us feel like we were staying in our own house, as well as a great view of the ocean. Our room came with two bikes, but you could also call and have a golf cart pick you up to take you to wherever you wanted to go...or walk, which is what we did most of the time. I forgot to mention above, but when we arrived in our room, there was a bottle of champagne, a cake, and some extra treats waiting for us..the cake said "Happy Honeymoon." What a nice touch!

Service:
Jumby Bay definitely has some of the best service I've ever experienced. I felt like a celebrity the entire time I was there. You can literally get anything you ask for! Not only that, they WANT you to ask and never seem annoyed for any request. My favorite service was at the beach. Waiters come around every so often to refill your drink, offer you an early afternoon snack, late afternoon frappuccino, or anything else that is possible to want. Its great! One day we wanted to go snorkeling, but the snorkel boat had already left. They arranged for the two of us to go to another island close by and took us over by boat. They make sure you are happy!

Food/drink:
We ate at the Pool Grill and Verandah for lunches and both were fantastic. The choices at both were a little different, so it was nice to switch it up. For dinner, we ate at the Estate House twice, Verandah twice and the Pool Grill for Caribbean night. Our favorite food was at the Estate House. It seemed a little fancier...although we loved our Verandah dinners too! The Verandah is right on the beach, so it offered wonderful scenery. Caribbean night was a buffet at the Pool Grill. At first, I was disappointed because I wanted to eat at the Estate House, but the food at Caribbean night was soooo good that I ended up being glad we ate there. It was also nice to try some authentic island food. Wine choices were fine with me, but I'm not too picky about wine.

Beach:
The beach is excellent. There are always beach chairs available, no matter what time you arrive. There is a wooden canopy for each chair couple that provides shade. Each pair of chairs also has two tubes that you can use to float in the water. As I mentioned above, the service at the beach is excellent. Towels are provided on the chairs, as well as cushions to make them comfortable. Each pair of chairs has a cooler with bottled water and ice so you'll never have to leave your spot if you get thirsty! The water is crazy blue (like you would imagine in the Caribbean) and there are starfish every where! Also, there is a sandbar where you can walk so far you feel like you are in the middle of the ocean! Great picture opportunity! We never got the chance to check out the beaches around the island because everything we could ever want or need was at the main beach. Also, don't miss the beach bar! It's so fun to have a mid-afternoon cocktail and everyone there is so nice!

Spa:
I had two massages while I was there...one regular swedish and another where they used cool shells (in the same way they would use hot rocks). It was very relaxing! While you are waiting for your treatment, they give you fresh squeezed vegetable juice. Once you arrive in your treatment room, you'll love how the door opens to the outside and a fresh breeze blows through the room. The rooms are nice and each has a great shower and changing room to use if you need. I loved it!

Misc:
My husband paddle boarded once and had a great time. We also went on the snorkeling trip to Bird Island. It was not the best snorkeling because the reef was ruined in a storm a couple years ago and has only just begun to grow back. It was also pretty choppy. We went on the cocktail cruise too. It rained during the cruise but still fun! They had lots of cocktails and apps. However, it basically went to the boat dock by the main island and back. I'm not sure if they did this because of the rain (the other side of the island had harder rain) or if they usually do this route, but I think going around the island would have been fun! We wanted to do water skiing, but truthfully never had a chance since we enjoyed spent so much time in our beach chairs ;)

Overall, one of the best hotels we have visited! We are dreaming of the day when we can come back!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CourtneyC978
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We went to Jumby Bay as the second trip of our honeymoon. We stayed in a beachside courtyard suite. The room was so amazing! It was literally steps away from the beach. The view from our terrace was breath taking. Everyting inside the room was great. the bathroom, the bed, and tv area. Perfect! They also give you bikes so you can bike around the island. We loved out bikes! Breakfast was delicious every single morning! We also had a private dinner on the beach and got to meet with the chef to decide our menu. It was truly an incredible experience. We would spend our days by the beach and they would constantly pass by with little snacks or drinks. We also got to see a turtle lay eggs and it was so amazing. The hotel has a great project with the Hawksbill turtle so if you go around June, like us, you will probably get a chance to see one lay eggs. We love rosewood hotels because of their service and Jumby Bay was no exception! I know we will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!