Jumby Bay Island
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Trade Winds Hotel(St. John's)
Antigua Village(St. John's)
  • Restaurant
All reviewspool suitepool grillepasture beachwhite nightbeach baroutdoor showerrosewood resortveranda restaurantprivate picnicwater skiingprivate ferrybeachside suitemain beachbeach staffhawksbill turtlefour seasonscaribbean night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We could not have asked for a better honeymoon than our entire experience at Jumby Bay. From the minute we landed at the airport, we were welcomed and escorted by staff to the island. The beaches and the resort are stunning and not one detail is overlooked to make your stay unforgettable. The friendly staff made us feel like we were the only ones at the resort. There are no cars - each room comes with its own bicycles to get around the island or there are golf carts you can call to pick you up. Quite charming. The food was wonderful. This was my first experience with an all-inclusive resort. It was rather nice not to think about extra costs of food and drinks and enjoy the moment. The airline lost our suitcase for two days but we did not have to spend any time tracking it down as the front desk staff handled this for us without question. Jumby Bay is worth the extra expense if you are seeking a special, unforgettable getaway. We will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Beachfront suite around from the pool. This was nice because our porch was more secluded and faced the ocean rather than walking/biking trails.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LLJ41
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have been lucky enough to have been going to Jumby for around 14 years, as soon as they allowed children there, when I was 5 and I fell in love instantly. My parents had been going for a few years before us so as soon as we got there we were welcomed by all of the staff who they had built friendships with, having been going for so long. I couldn't fault anything at Jumby. The beach is the most beautiful beach I have ever been to, the staff are like my second family, the rooms, villas and private homes are all beautiful. I have had some amazing experiences at Jumby and end up crying my eyes out on the ferry back over to the main land every time we leave. I can't wait to go back there this summer (74 sleeps - already counting down!) to see everyone again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alice V
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Jumby Bay redefines the all-inclusive - while it would be tough to call it a value play, when you figure everything in, the cost begins to look slightly more reasonable.. everything is included aside from spa visits, special events (like beachside dinners), and high end wine or cigars.

Traveled as a family - myself, my wife and our almost 4 yr old daughter. We booked a beachfront villa but were upgraded to a pool suite, which was a great room.

Here's my breakdown of the specifics:

Room - well appointed, comfortable 4 poster bed, pool was nicely sized, minibar stocked with inclusive snacks and beverages, including beer/wine, bicycles provided for transport, including a requested small bike with training wheels for my daughter. Room was conveniently located, easy walk to the beach and main resort area. Not having to worry about room keys is nice as the rooms are unlocked, as you are on a private island there isn't much risk of crime.

Beach - Long strip of beach near the main resort is very nice, plenty of fixed umbrellas in place (40 of them) so finding seating shouldn't be much of an issue during most of the year. Water was very calm, lots of starfish in the shallows, my daughter and I "rescued" a bunch of them that were unfortunate enough to be brought in with the tide. The sand beneath the water varied from fine sand to a squishy grassy surface depending on where you were, but there wasn't much in the way of rockiness. Water sports such as waterskiing, hobie cat sail boats, kayaks, etc. are readily available (and included). Drink/food service was available and efficient on the beach. Throughout the day, various appetizers would be offered as well. In addition, there is a beach bar. There is another beach on the island, Pasture Bay, which is on the Atlantic side so is a bit more rough, though still not bad, though it is quite rocky. However, it is usually pretty empty if you are looking for a quiet spot (though no service is provided there aside from preplanned "picnic" lunches, which are hardly picnics, as they are white tablecloth affairs - well worth the incremental $10/pp if you want to mix up your dining options). As this is a private island, there isn't a lot of back and forth beach traffic and there aren't a lot of motorized craft buzzing the beach as they have rules limiting this. This is a nice change from many other resorts.

Overall resort amenities - croquet, tennis, exercise room, spa all available, also tons of paved paths that cover the island for jogging or biking. Also lots of open grassy / lightly treed spaces and wildlife watering holes as well, a herd of sheep graze throughout the island as well. There is a daily calendar of events for sign-up activities, such as snorkeling trips and other tours - kayaks, boat trips, etc. One big thing that always disappoints at high end resorts is wifi service - here it was the opposite - very fast connection, whether you're in the room or on the beach, and is inclusive in the base room charge.

Food - For the Caribbean, the food was excellent. If you compare to a major city, like NYC, then I'd go 4/5 stars. Again, for the Caribbean the offerings are excellent. There is one breakfast option at the main resort area, which has a solid buffet and also off the menu items. Not a ton of variety on the breakfast buffet day to day, but there are some different menu specials. For lunch, there are 2 main options, both of which were decent. There's an afternoon tea as well, though we were always too full to entertain this option. Dinner also has 2 options - I would recommend the Estate for a more traditional meal in a lovely period building. Additional options pop up throughout the week, such as a white party on the beach bbq on Sundays and also a Caribbean night at the Pool Grille. Overall, you won't possibly go hungry,

Service - Overall excellent - with the caveat that this was my first visit and the resort wasn't full, but everyone was very friendly and quick to make any arrangements that you might request. They make an effort to know who you are and are quite welcoming.

Kids program - there is a daily included kids' club, where you can drop off your 3+ yr old and they will have a day full of planned activities, starts at 930 am, with various options to watch your kids throughout the day, and even into the evening. Additionally, there is a babysitting option (think $25/hr) if you wanted private childcare. The actual space was very well equipped and the staff is excellent. My daughter enjoyed her time there and was happy to go.

If I had to come up with some areas for improvement, it would be nice if there was a clearer transition from coming through immigration to getting picked up by someone from the resort. Right now after you clear immigration, there's someone working for the airport at a desk that asks you where you are staying and then airport porters appear to help you with luggage - you only see a resort related person when you get outside where the cabs are, and then they put you in a cab to take you to the dock for the transfer to the island.. just entails a bit of momentary confusion when you're just getting off the plane... would be nicer to have someone with a name card at the baggage claim. Of course, this may be restricted by the airport rules... the only other thing I can think of is they should consider switching the golf carts from gas to electric, as the sound/smell of the gas carts, while minor, could intrude on the quiet enjoyment of the island.

Overall, it is a magical place with lots of repeat visitors, pretty well split between families and couples, though I'm sure this changes depending on the time of year. I highly recommend for for families - for more romantic couples trips, you can do ok as well, though if you really don't want to see kids, I would recommend somewhere else with an adults-only policy. While we are usually averse to going to the same place more than once, we are definitely planning on going back at some point in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank jma5000
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Jumby Bay offers a sunny paradise and brilliant accommodation especially if you are fortunate to stay in Banyan Villa as we did (this Villa also had its own Buggy so transport was always available although on some energetic days we did use the supplied bikes)
From the very beginning with a smooth transfer of some 15 minutes from the airport this island offers nothing but comfort, good food and excellent service. I had read previously from some reports that the food was bland and repetitive but it is far from that with excellent food at the Estate House and a wide selection at the Veranda. But do not forget those people behind the scenes who do a brilliant job in keeping this resort up to scratch. I was particularly impressed by the cleanliness of the beach and the smart gardens and lets not forget the men on the ferry who came back for us one day when we were late.
My only criticism relates to the service on the beach which sometimes lacks adequate supervision.
Overall whilst expensive Jumby Bay is worth every penny and is a once in a lifetimes experience, although I am busy saving for next year.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Wonderfully relaxing family holidays and overall best ambience of anywhere we have stayed. At Easter we had a 2 centre trip with Tortuga Bay in Dominican which was very nice but on landing back on Jumby we were home !

Staff are the friendliest and most personable, led by Andrew Hedley who is the most visible and accessible GM of any resort we have been to

New beach bar is great and we noticed the food at Easter had stepped up a gear since Xmas

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family