“I miss the Hawksbill!!!”

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Had an amazing week's stay at the Hawksbill. The food is good and the grounds are AMAZINGLY beautiful. On welcome, the front desk staff was incredibly friendly and we received a champagne welcome drink. We stayed in the little cottages on the beach. It felt both rustic but with all the amenities of a hotel. Rooms were quite spacious, bed comfortable, and very clean. The cottages felt so private too. The beaches on hawksbill are so calm and crystal clear blue. My antiguan friends even said it was one of the best on the island.

What I loved about the hotel is that it had a very homey relaxed feel as opposed to santized, up tight chain hotel atmosphere.

Only grouses were that my safe had no key, and my friends' safes did not work. This is after we had to sign something saying if you didn't put your belongings in a safe they were not responsible. Customer service was variable, sometimes nice, sometimes not very friendly. Also, the hotel is a tad bit out of the way to many attractions, and about 30 mins drive to english harbour if you are looking for some nightlife.

I would stay here again!! beautiful!

Room Tip: Stay in the cottages closer to the entrance rather than closer to the lunch restaurant. They are mu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank dpurpleorange

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Our 4th trip to Hawksbill was as enjoyable as the first, hence the subsequent visits!
The resort is small on beautiful grounds with 4 beaches therefore no crowding.
The staff are friendly and helpful and eager to please.
The rooms are comfortable and all close to the beach.
The resort appeals to an older crowd as there is minimal evening entertainment but for a relaxing
stay it is perfect.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My husband and I were staying at the Halcyon Cove, the sister hotel, for our two weeks in Antigua, but we did have the opportunity of spending two days here at the Hawksbill and it was simply paradise.

This is a non-smoking hotel. There are no shops outside the resort so it is all about chilling out and relaxing. The outside of reception looked a little worn but it really does add to the charm. The staff were really friendly and always smiling. I think it is the most prettiest hotel layout I have ever seen. The reception and Tamarind Tree restaurant & bar (serves breakfast & dinner) are all on the same level and then you need to walk down to the beaches and rooms. You get a lovely view of Sea Grape beach from this area. There are four different beaches; Royal Palm beach - This is beside the beach club rooms. Found the waves a little rough for me and there were a few rocks in the water; Sea Grape beach - this was my favourite. A lovely calm stretch of beach right beside the Sea Grape bar & restaurant where you were served lunch; Honeymoon Cove - this was right at the edge of Sea Grape beach - waves again were a little rough; Eden beach is the clothes optional beach and is cordoned off by a white gate. Never did visit this beach!

The food at Sea Grape was beautiful. You can either get your own burgers or fries from the food area or else sit & order omelette or club sandwich, etc. As my favourite beach was Sea Grape I used it the most. The biggest difference I found with this resort in general - no beach vendors. You are left alone to relax and sunbathe or read and you would be surprised how much of a difference it makes to your day. It simply was paradise. Only the odd jet ski would pass us by. There were not many hotel guests staying so we really did have the beach to ourselves. There is one outdoor swimming pool which is situated behind Sea Grape bar. It is 6.5ft deep at one side (and 6ft at the others) and is not that long or wide. Hardly anyone used the pool but I loved having a dip and swimming a few little lengths.

There are beach club rooms at the Royal Palm beach which look like individual cottages and have air conditioning. The beach has sunbeds lined up beside each room. There are rooms along Sea Grape Beach but are set back in the gardens. You would get a better sea view if you had a high floor. The only niggle is that the rooms do not have air conditioning - only ceiling fans, and in Antigua you can believe it gets warm and stays warm 24/7. The garden bungalows overlook the gardens (which are lovely) and the back of the superior sea view bungalows (again both types of accommodation only have ceiling fan in rooms). There are more beach club rooms at the edge of Sea Grape and beginning of Honeymoon Cove beach. These rooms are the furthest away from all the amenities but they do have air con. There is the “Great House” which is only a slight walk downhill from reception. It overlooks both Royal Palm and Sea Grapes beach. I think there are three rooms but all three need to be booked at the same time. This would be great for a large group of friends travelling together. It does not have any sign up outside, other than the “Great House” so on quite a few occasions my husband and I were about to take a little stroll down to look around - not realising it was another type of private accommodation.

In-between the “Great House” and reception is the Sugar Mill boutique. It is an old sugar mill that has been made into a little shop selling souvenirs, etc. As I said before it is the prettiest resort I have ever seen and I think it gives you more than its 3* status.
The hotel may not be suitable for people with walking difficulties because of the layout (as pretty as it is). From the beach you have a hill climb (either by steps or inclining path) back up to reception and Tamarind Tree restaurant & bar. I absolutely loved my time at the Hawksbill but I only spent two days here. I, personally, would need somewhere a little more lively if I was to stay any longer than this but if you want to just get away from it all and lie and sunbathe in peace then you cannot go wrong with the Hawksbill.

Room Tip: Pay extra for Superior Sea View Bungalow at Sea Grape Beach for best views
3  Thank Original T-Bird
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Left Hawksbill on 27 th April after a six night stay. Caribbean side of Antigua is actually nicer than Atlantic coast for two reasons- 1) beaches are calmer and easy for swimming and snorkelling ( or at least in April) 2) beaches seem to be more accessible - esp Hawksbill which has four beaches within easy reach .
The staff were friendly and welcoming, the hotels very unpretencious - by this I mean it is comfortable, fairly basic but in a good way . Its not pretending to be super luxurious.
We loved our beachfront room - you dont need aircin as the front of the litlle bungalows are completely vented and you get plentiful sea breeze in the night. Having also been to another hotel with aircon I can tell you that the Hawksbill vented windows are far cooler , quieter and more pleasant. I wouldnt pick a room witn aircon after trying the vented rooms.

The beaches are great - beachfront room was on Seagrapes beach ( as our majority) and there was plenty of space, sunbeds if you wanted them, beautiful waters to swim in, coral reefs to snorkell or kayak round and plentiful shade from trees.

Royal Palm beach smaller but equally as nice.
Hotel food reasonable- nothing to shout about but reasonable selection, tasty and nicely cooked. We wouldve liked to try more caribbean food and spicy dishes but I am assuming other guests must prefer a more continental menu.
If we return to Antigua it is likely we would return to Rex Hawksbill - I noticed from the people we met at the hotel that most had been there more than once which speaks volumes about it surely?
Def recommend Rex Hawkbill ( dont go to Halycon) if you are wanting a well priced quietbreak in Antigua.

Room Tip: Beachfront room is great and ventilation helps you get a restful nights sleep instead of noisy airco...
2  Thank Suzannahdee
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I would be the first to tell you never go back to where you have been before....there are too many beautiful places & great experiences to be had in this world of ours.
Well I ignored my own advise & went back to this Hotel again after visiting in 2011.
It was like a lovely comfy slipper ! We instantly felt at home, staff reconised us & it was as relaxing as we remembered.
We had a room up by honeymoon cove with air con & yes one of the mossie nets had come away from the frame.....here's a novel idea...call reception & ask them to come & repair it...it was done in a couple of hours. Some people moan about things but never see if they can get them put right first.
We had a meal that we were not that keen on & the waitress noticed, called lovely Sean the chef, who personally cooked us something for our last lunch.....fantastic customer service & you can't complain about that can you.
All in all another fantastic trip....The bad news for us....think we will have to go back again !!
Would throughly recommend this Hotel for a chill out, friendly holiday

Room Tip: The room we had in honeymoon cove is the furthest away from the resturant & bar, but its an easy...
5  Thank hughmurrell
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We visited Hawksbill as a family of 4 over Easter. The resort was quite busy and, contrary to our expectations, had a full range of ages staying. Our 17 and 13 year old children made some really nice friends of the same age.

Overall we had a great holiday. The accomodation is basic but perfectly adquate (we even had the much maligned cottage 51 - see earlier review!). We all enjoyed the food and drink - no complaints about the service at all. As most people have said, the grounds and the beaches are absolutely superb. Even when it's close to full there is so much space at Hawksbill to find privacy and relax if that's what you are looking for.

I agree with the "faded gentility" description. Most of all it genuinely is a friendly place to spend a week. We met some really nice people and liked the way that there were things to do if you wanted to (water sports, tennis, volleyball, table tennis) but no pressure to join in.

After reading some of the previous reviews we were a little nervous but need not have been. This was our take on some of the perceived negatives:

Bugs - a small number of bites but actually less than we got in Barbados and St Lucia previously. Fine as long as you wear spray at high risk times of the day

Staff - always some variation but overwhelmingly friendly

Accomodation - clean but definitely not 5*. Reflects the price

Food and service - no issues for us at all. Enough variety for a week.

Entertainment - low key but actually just right for this type of resort. No issue with the bar closing at 11.00pm for us.

Summary for us was we got exactly what we went for. Antigua is a fantastic island and we would certainly visit again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank MikeH98
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Our 1st trip to Antigua and it was really great. Hawksbill is a great place to simply forget everything and relax. We stayed for 5 nights. The service was great, staff friendly and even the vacationers (mostly older folks) were very friendly. One grip we had was that the pool wasnt kid friendly (only 1 depth of 6ft) and no play area for kids. Would give them 5 stars if they had these 2.

Room Tip: We had a non-AC room but the cool breeze was good enough. Unless you hate some humidity non-AC rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
#4 of 16 in St. John's
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!