“Fabulous beaches” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Denver, Colorado
“Fabulous beaches”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed here with my husband and another couple in early May 2012. We all agreed that the grounds were gorgeous, everything was clean, overall staff was friendly, but in general the resort seemed a little tired and worn. We will be back because we had a fantastic time on the beautiful beaches. We were only approached by one vendor selling necklaces. The rest of the time it seemed as though we had the entire place to our selves. The resort does require several deposits. Each beach towel has a US$28 deposit. The room key has a US$50 deposit. A key for the room safe that you pick up at the front desk is another deposit. I never did figure out how or when we could exchange our beach towels for clean ones. I also never figured out where I could fill up my water bottle. I was too busy playing in the ocean. The food was fine. Lots of options each day. The bars are also well stocked. We visited all four beaches. Each one is beautiful and secluded. I had a massage in the Wellness Cottage. Very relaxing and I would not hesitate to book another next time I am there. We are looking forward to our next visit to Hawksbill and recommend it to anyone who is fine with a resort who has been around a while and is not a tip top 5 star resort, but is looking for a quiet vacation on beautiful beaches.

Room Tip: The bungalows are nice, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Neckers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We spent an idyllic week here. It was quiet and peaceful and exactly what we had expected from the website. The room was slightly dated and tired, but that kind of added to the charm. It was perfectly clean, and ideally situated right on the beach. The staff were all very helpful and the food was good, with plenty of locally caught fish and a good choice of menu in general. The glass of sparkling wine on arrival was very welcome! Stunning views throughout.

Room Tip: We had a beach front club room, which had aircon.
6 Thank Caroline G
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Had an amazing week's stay at the Hawksbill. The food is good and the grounds are AMAZINGLY beautiful. On welcome, the front desk staff was incredibly friendly and we received a champagne welcome drink. We stayed in the little cottages on the beach. It felt both rustic but with all the amenities of a hotel. Rooms were quite spacious, bed comfortable, and very clean. The cottages felt so private too. The beaches on hawksbill are so calm and crystal clear blue. My antiguan friends even said it was one of the best on the island.

What I loved about the hotel is that it had a very homey relaxed feel as opposed to santized, up tight chain hotel atmosphere.

Only grouses were that my safe had no key, and my friends' safes did not work. This is after we had to sign something saying if you didn't put your belongings in a safe they were not responsible. Customer service was variable, sometimes nice, sometimes not very friendly. Also, the hotel is a tad bit out of the way to many attractions, and about 30 mins drive to english harbour if you are looking for some nightlife.

I would stay here again!! beautiful!

Room Tip: Stay in the cottages closer to the entrance rather than closer to the lunch restaurant. They are mu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank dpurpleorange
Alliston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Our 4th trip to Hawksbill was as enjoyable as the first, hence the subsequent visits!
The resort is small on beautiful grounds with 4 beaches therefore no crowding.
The staff are friendly and helpful and eager to please.
The rooms are comfortable and all close to the beach.
The resort appeals to an older crowd as there is minimal evening entertainment but for a relaxing
stay it is perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michael R
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

My husband and I were staying at the Halcyon Cove, the sister hotel, for our two weeks in Antigua, but we did have the opportunity of spending two days here at the Hawksbill and it was simply paradise.

This is a non-smoking hotel. There are no shops outside the resort so it is all about chilling out and relaxing. The outside of reception looked a little worn but it really does add to the charm. The staff were really friendly and always smiling. I think it is the most prettiest hotel layout I have ever seen. The reception and Tamarind Tree restaurant & bar (serves breakfast & dinner) are all on the same level and then you need to walk down to the beaches and rooms. You get a lovely view of Sea Grape beach from this area. There are four different beaches; Royal Palm beach - This is beside the beach club rooms. Found the waves a little rough for me and there were a few rocks in the water; Sea Grape beach - this was my favourite. A lovely calm stretch of beach right beside the Sea Grape bar & restaurant where you were served lunch; Honeymoon Cove - this was right at the edge of Sea Grape beach - waves again were a little rough; Eden beach is the clothes optional beach and is cordoned off by a white gate. Never did visit this beach!

The food at Sea Grape was beautiful. You can either get your own burgers or fries from the food area or else sit & order omelette or club sandwich, etc. As my favourite beach was Sea Grape I used it the most. The biggest difference I found with this resort in general - no beach vendors. You are left alone to relax and sunbathe or read and you would be surprised how much of a difference it makes to your day. It simply was paradise. Only the odd jet ski would pass us by. There were not many hotel guests staying so we really did have the beach to ourselves. There is one outdoor swimming pool which is situated behind Sea Grape bar. It is 6.5ft deep at one side (and 6ft at the others) and is not that long or wide. Hardly anyone used the pool but I loved having a dip and swimming a few little lengths.

There are beach club rooms at the Royal Palm beach which look like individual cottages and have air conditioning. The beach has sunbeds lined up beside each room. There are rooms along Sea Grape Beach but are set back in the gardens. You would get a better sea view if you had a high floor. The only niggle is that the rooms do not have air conditioning - only ceiling fans, and in Antigua you can believe it gets warm and stays warm 24/7. The garden bungalows overlook the gardens (which are lovely) and the back of the superior sea view bungalows (again both types of accommodation only have ceiling fan in rooms). There are more beach club rooms at the edge of Sea Grape and beginning of Honeymoon Cove beach. These rooms are the furthest away from all the amenities but they do have air con. There is the “Great House” which is only a slight walk downhill from reception. It overlooks both Royal Palm and Sea Grapes beach. I think there are three rooms but all three need to be booked at the same time. This would be great for a large group of friends travelling together. It does not have any sign up outside, other than the “Great House” so on quite a few occasions my husband and I were about to take a little stroll down to look around - not realising it was another type of private accommodation.

In-between the “Great House” and reception is the Sugar Mill boutique. It is an old sugar mill that has been made into a little shop selling souvenirs, etc. As I said before it is the prettiest resort I have ever seen and I think it gives you more than its 3* status.
The hotel may not be suitable for people with walking difficulties because of the layout (as pretty as it is). From the beach you have a hill climb (either by steps or inclining path) back up to reception and Tamarind Tree restaurant & bar. I absolutely loved my time at the Hawksbill but I only spent two days here. I, personally, would need somewhere a little more lively if I was to stay any longer than this but if you want to just get away from it all and lie and sunbathe in peace then you cannot go wrong with the Hawksbill.

Room Tip: Pay extra for Superior Sea View Bungalow at Sea Grape Beach for best views
2 Thank Original T-Bird
St Phillip, Antigua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Left Hawksbill on 27 th April after a six night stay. Caribbean side of Antigua is actually nicer than Atlantic coast for two reasons- 1) beaches are calmer and easy for swimming and snorkelling ( or at least in April) 2) beaches seem to be more accessible - esp Hawksbill which has four beaches within easy reach .
The staff were friendly and welcoming, the hotels very unpretencious - by this I mean it is comfortable, fairly basic but in a good way . Its not pretending to be super luxurious.
We loved our beachfront room - you dont need aircin as the front of the litlle bungalows are completely vented and you get plentiful sea breeze in the night. Having also been to another hotel with aircon I can tell you that the Hawksbill vented windows are far cooler , quieter and more pleasant. I wouldnt pick a room witn aircon after trying the vented rooms.

The beaches are great - beachfront room was on Seagrapes beach ( as our majority) and there was plenty of space, sunbeds if you wanted them, beautiful waters to swim in, coral reefs to snorkell or kayak round and plentiful shade from trees.

Royal Palm beach smaller but equally as nice.
Hotel food reasonable- nothing to shout about but reasonable selection, tasty and nicely cooked. We wouldve liked to try more caribbean food and spicy dishes but I am assuming other guests must prefer a more continental menu.
If we return to Antigua it is likely we would return to Rex Hawksbill - I noticed from the people we met at the hotel that most had been there more than once which speaks volumes about it surely?
Def recommend Rex Hawkbill ( dont go to Halycon) if you are wanting a well priced quietbreak in Antigua.

Room Tip: Beachfront room is great and ventilation helps you get a restful nights sleep instead of noisy airco...
2 Thank Suzannahdee
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I would be the first to tell you never go back to where you have been before....there are too many beautiful places & great experiences to be had in this world of ours.
Well I ignored my own advise & went back to this Hotel again after visiting in 2011.
It was like a lovely comfy slipper ! We instantly felt at home, staff reconised us & it was as relaxing as we remembered.
We had a room up by honeymoon cove with air con & yes one of the mossie nets had come away from the frame.....here's a novel idea...call reception & ask them to come & repair it...it was done in a couple of hours. Some people moan about things but never see if they can get them put right first.
We had a meal that we were not that keen on & the waitress noticed, called lovely Sean the chef, who personally cooked us something for our last lunch.....fantastic customer service & you can't complain about that can you.
All in all another fantastic trip....The bad news for us....think we will have to go back again !!
Would throughly recommend this Hotel for a chill out, friendly holiday

Room Tip: The room we had in honeymoon cove is the furthest away from the resturant & bar, but its an easy...
5 Thank hughmurrell
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,188 reviews

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!