“Thank god For the beautiful beaches!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawksbill by Rex Resorts

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Thank god For the beautiful beaches!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

The grounds and four beaches are so beautiful, and the staff is great! It made up for the room. The first room, standard room, literally made me cry. I always book a 'standard' room because we don't spend much time in it but the condition was terrible. I would not even sit on the bed. We got an upgrade for a price but the rooms could really use some work. The mattress seemed to be from the 1960's and the bed was very small. We learned fast to hang the towels because getting new ones was next to impossible. The first day we had hand towels but that ended by day 2 and we were left with 2 towels and no bath mat either. Also, we were stuck with the same dirty beach towels for half the week because there was never any clean ones available. Getting water is also very difficult. The water jug was always empty which was probably a good thing because I don't think it has ever been wiped down! Upper management really needs to spend some time at Hawksbill in a standard room. Many of the people was met also requested upgrades and one couple even demanded a new mattress! So sad because the location is breathtaking, food was great and the staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Bring Clorox wipes, I used them all in the room!
3 Thank LaurisaD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I came here with my immediate family and my 30 extended family members in November to spend Thanksgiving. We all had an amazing time! It has been my 7th visit and this place has become our 2nd home. The staff is friendly, warm and helpful. The resort itself is rustic and simple; the beaches are so beautiful, and not overcrowded. The food is ok. My kids never complain about the food which is a plus since they are picky eaters. The guests are friendly; I met some lovely people from Europe and US. If you’re looking to get away from the rat race and a simple place for relaxation then this place is for you. Looking forward to coming back again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank katgp
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was our 7th visit and found the layback and chill charm has not changed, loads of beach room, (you have a choice of 4 beaches), or just relax in the shade on the lovely lawns under the palm trees, even though the hotel was full there is so much space to enjoy on your own if you wish. the rustic charm is brilliant, you can really feel away from it all especially as the rooms and bungalows do not have TVs, The food was very good and varied, the lunchtime barbeque always has fresh caught fish, the staff are lovely and make you feel at home, they are so nice, we have tried most types of rooms and like the bungalows on the first beach the best, 10 paces from the beach and very quiet, just the sound of the sea on the shore, If you are looking for all mod cons, plunge pools, noisy bars, loads of sun beds lined up on concrete then forget it, this place is about a Caribbean way to relax, have a drink at the beach bar and watch the sun go down giving a brilliant sunset across the Caribbean sea. And yes we will be back.

Room Tip: Garden bungalows are very warm without air con, superior rooms first floor have a lovely breeze thro...
3 Thank MICHAEL T
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I wrote a review last year and I was complimentary and forgiving about a lot of aspects of Hawksbill. Now one year later having visited again I am running out of patience. I also appreciate having had a conversation with the current manger that it's extremely difficult for Rex Resorts to invest significant capital in to Hawksbill because of the intransigence of the owners of the land plus it's with the lawyers whose payday depends on how long they can drag this indecision out. The manager said that bringing Hawksbill up to a standard will take millions of dollars which he firmly believes Rex will invest if given the opportunity . Every aspect of Hawksbill needs money spent on it. In my humble opinion things could be done that don't need big expenditure. We all travel today with items that need charging whether it's an IPad or a kindle and I want to feel confident when inserting that plug I'm not going to get 110 volts through me. Check out the hot water dispenser in the sea grapes restaurant and look at the plug, there are exposed wires. We stayed in a superior sea view room,the fly screens were ok but where the frames of the screens were secured to the windows there are gaping gaps. We suffered a lot of bites. On several days there was no hot water, something trips out and on request is rectified. Surely this can be avoided. The food had declined in standard since last year particularly those evenings when you are served at your table, there were more buffet style meals in the evening where the food was 'cool' rather than hot. The Argentinian house white wine is so acid it's virtually undrinkable. The funny thing is that a very respectable Chilean Sauvignon Blanc at the Epicurian supermarket is cheaper than Tescos UK at under £4.50 a bottle. Consistency in all things is vital in the service industry and a lot was missing.
Everything I've mentioned doesn't need big sums of money to put right it needs a determination to do the very best you can given the circumstances.
The staff are the Hawksbills greatest asset and are putting on a very good face and attitude for their guests, to mention a few of its greatest assets David, Adrian, William, Christabelle and Millie whose sole purpose is to make sure you always have a drink. Shenneth and Donella in reception, Anne Marie the best room attendant, others not mentioned to numerous to name are indispensable as they create a welcoming and friendly atmosphere.
It is these staff and fantastic location that keep us returning.
The hotel very very badly needs a resolution to the current stalemate.

3 Thank Jollyboy1049
Woking England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Having stayed here in February this year (I have already submitted a review for that), we returned here on 11th November for 10 days this time. I'm pleased to say that the the staff at the hotel are still as friendly and attentive as ever. The location of the resort is outstanding. However….the big issue for us this time was the food. We were very disappointed at the apparent decline in standards compared to our last trip.

1) Choice of dishes extremely poor (at breakfast and at dinner)
2) Quality of the food on offer was substandard

A few examples….I ordered club sandwich for lunch on our 2nd day, only to be told they had run out of bread..
That same evening, to try and get some relief from the all inclusive menu, I decided to order a Prawn cocktail ($20) from the a la carte, only to be told they had no prawns.
At breakfast, there were eggs, bacon and sausages, but no tomatoes, no mushrooms. Instead breakfast side dishes were "squashed pumpkin" and "spinach". I didn't bother. In addition, at all meals, the buffet containers were not replenished. There was always something that had run out. A request to order more was accepted by the staff, but it took over 20mins to replenish by which time I had lost interest.
One evening during our stay, it was apparent that not enough restaurant staff were on duty. Wine was not replenished - I had to go to the bar to get a 2nd glass of wine. It was clear that many people were unhappy, as I saw some staff sitting (hiding) in a corner grumbling that they were fed up with all the complaints.
It is clear to me that the management of this resort clearly needs a shake up. It is a shame they expose their lovely staff to angry customers. I asked for a Supervisor only to be told there wasn't one on duty. "They never do anything anyway" was the response I got.

What a shame - this hotel is very tired round the edges, which it was in February, but then I was able to overlook that. However, for an all inclusive resort, the food has to be up to scratch - as you have no other choice (apart from getting a taxi to an outside restaurant). I sincerely hope someone from Rex/Hawksbill reads this and takes action. I will be willing to return to this resort, but only once the food issues have been sorted out.

Room Tip: We stayed (again) in the Beach Club bungalows which are the most expensive. The main difference is t...
2 Thank Algoz66
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Hawksbill from the 1st to 14th of November this year. It was our first experience of the Caribbean, so we didn't know quite what to expect. I'd read the reviews on tripadvisor, and so had a few ideas, but kept an open mind.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
=================
When we arrived at the taxi drop-off at Hawksbill, two staff members who were chatting in the lobby came out and helped us carry our bags down the steps. They weren't porters, just cooks and cleaners I think, but it was greatly appreciated as it was pouring with rain and had been a long day!

We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist, given a welcome drink and cool damp flannel, and taken to our room, a Garden Bungalow near the far end of the resort.

To be honest, our very first thoughts on our room were along the lines of "oh". The bed was massive, but everything else was pretty basic. To sum up the room in one sentence, it was like living in a beach hut for two weeks!

This feeling though soon left us, and by our second day we were quite at home. Having visited St. Johns and seen other bits of the island, it felt very genuine. The room was cleaned daily, to quite a high standard.

At this point I feel I should mention that we were in Antigua for my sisters wedding, and had a 1 night stay in the Cove Suites at Blue Waters hotel, on the day of the wedding. We enjoyed our stay at Blue waters, but were ever so glad to be back at Hawksbill the next day!

The $700 a night suite at Blue Waters was very luxurious, but the whole resort felt like it could have been a 5* resort anywhere in the world, not just the Caribbean. Hawksbill on the other hand is a lot more spacious (I felt a little claustrophobic at Blue waters as everything is packed in), and more "Caribbean".

Another point is AirCon. Our suite had airconditioning. We found it was actually a lot more comfortable in our Garden Bungalow with the ceiling fan, as going from an air-con room to "outside Antigua" was pretty uncomfortable. My advice would be to avoid Air-con if you can and to just acclimatise with the environment. It makes going out in the day so much more bearable!

It was also very quiet when we first arrived, though the resort got a little busier (not much) towards the end of our visit (Mid-November). We liked this, it was quite nice that with so few guests around, you got to know other guests, if you wanted to. This worked in our favour when we ended up sharing a taxi with another couple for a tour of the island, saving about 75%!!!

FOOD AND DRINK
===============
The food may not be fine dining at Hawksbill, but to be fair, it wasn't that much different than that offered at Blue Waters, except there was more choice. We both absolutely loved everything we were served, and portions were more than adequate. For most meals it was a buffet so you could eat as much as you liked.

The drinks were good, and on-par with Blue waters again. The only difference being that you got a cherry in the top of your Pina-colada at Blue Waters! On a few occasions the lunch-time bar ran out of one or two spirits, meaning a few cocktails were off the menu, but as there was so much to choose from, we were both very happy to use the opportunity to try something new.

THE BEACHES
============
We only really swam and snorkelled in the main beach (Seagrapes?) where the watersports are. The first beach as you get to the hotel looks nice, but is some distance from where we were staying. It is also very popular with the residents of the Five Islands town, and often had locals swimming at the end of the beach.

Seagrapes was an excellent beach. Nice and long, not very rocky on the shore. It does drop off quite quickly to about 1-1.5m depth so be warned if you're short, have children, or can't swim. One thing to note is that the visibility in the water can vary quite a lot from day to day, depending on the waves/wind. On the last few days of our trip I think it might have almost been crystal clear. However for about 1 week the waves were breaking on the beach and reefs, and you could only see about 1-2m in front of you. My advice, if you want to snorkel, is to take a dip every day and see what the conditions are like, and if it's clear, snorkel as much as you can as it might be rubbish the next day! There is plenty to see in the bay, I saw a Moray eel, large flounder, and an Octopus, you just have to hunt around a bit, as largely the reef is badly damaged by the hurricanes.

Next you have the Honeymoon cove beach, which is quite small and secluded, we only walked past this to get to the "Clothing optional" Eden beach, which is by far the nicest beach. It's a shame that it's clothing optional, as it both restricts being able to photograph such a beautiful location, as well as potentially putting some people off visiting the beach. It's very quiet, very long, and I wished we'd snorkelled along it if we had had the time and conditions allowed.

THE STAFF
=========
All I can say is that pretty much all the staff were as friendly as humanly possible. At first it felt a bit weird, as it's rare to find such friendly people in the UK. However having toured around the island, and been greeted by absolute strangers, we realised it's just Antigua in general, where everyone is happy and friendly!

TIPS
====
Make sure you get "Off", or "Go" insect repellant. Use the "Vape" electronic repellent provided in your room. Having read the instructions in the supermarket (The one in our room had no information on what it did or how to use it, so we had to use our brains), these are best used with windows etc closed, fans off, for 10 mins (so the vapour can circulate without being blown out the windows).

Watersports. Sean, the main watersports guy, is really nice. However he can be a bit pushy to try and get you to agree, and then pay for, one of the non-free watersports. In our case we got slightly pressured into being taken out to a local wreck. My advice is to try and avoid paying up front for anything, and agree to pay on the day if you can. We paid, but agreed to a slot later in the week when he was running behind. Sadly later in the week the conditions were worse. If we could have paid on the day, we could have chosen not to do the trip, as money is non-refundable.

CONCLUSION
===========
Overall I can't recommend Hawksbill enough. It was very quiet and had a lovely atmosphere. We were there two weeks, which was quite long as there's not that much to do, but for just chilling out, it's an ideal spot.

Room Tip: If Air conditioning isn't an essential, we found it easier going with a ceiling fan. The transit...
10 Thank zpyder
Devon, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Only stayed here for 3 nights and wished it had been longer.
The no Tv, or wifi, was a new experience for us.
As Twitter/facebook addicted people in their late 20's, the revelation that we could survive AND enjoy ourselves without our phones was a nice shock :)

We had booked into a garden room, and ended up getting upgraded to a seafront room (needed the air con.
Our room was literally 10 paces from the sea - and what a stunning view every morning.

The beaches are fabulous. The one where the watersports centre is, had fish swimming around our feet.

Food was delicious, and the beach BBQ on Wednesday was fab.
Staff were amazing.
Atmosphere delightful, we met a lovely lady called Karen who had visited 17 times (that's got to speak for itself!)....Ps: Karen if you're reading this, we loved meeting you, tried to find you to say bye in the morning but missed you.

100% would return.

Room Tip: If you can't handle the heat...invest in an air con room ! Also if you are going in the rainy m...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,188 reviews

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!