“The ultimate is peace and quiet!”

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed at Hawkbill in 2012. I have been several places since then and always compare them to Hawksbill. That in itself says a lot.

Now I am always looking for a place that allows nature to relax me.

I don't want to hear other folks radio and just want to read and relax in the sun.

This place does that and more. I highly recommend the nude beach, very peaceful. I admit a bit of a walk for a drink but worth it.

Upgrade to a sea view if you can because roosters crow in the back of the cottages very early each morning - that is the one negative.

The dinner meals were great, lunch ok. But eat at meal time - you don't have any other options.

We went u to town for a few hours, not really a worth the taxi cost but if you want to get out for a few hours it is great. Maybe 3 hours tops!

All in all I'm waiting for a deal on the coat to return to this beautiful place again!!

Bit time line, I would return, and that says a lot!

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank LoriJean63
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband and I visited Hawksbill on a day pass and this was our experience in brief.

Pros:
-Amazing setting and views, resort is well laid and spaced out for walks and beautiful views of the sea
-Beautiful beaches, 4 to choose from. The nude beach was empty when we went and was quite a lovely experience though I only took off my top
-Staff are very friendly which is particularly noticeable in Antigua where customer service is not always the case
-Extremely relaxing, perfect place to do nothing except relax, great for couples who want quality time together
-pedal boats and kayayks avail for free though we did not get to use them due to the weather
-tennis court which we enjoyed though we are not very good players

Cons:
-food did not taste good, limited selection and everything was cold
-bar was out of things like mint and bananas (fruits have very limited growing seasons in antigua and it is expensive to buy imported fruits so i understand for other fruits, but bananas grow year round so there was no excuse)
-three of the four beaches are a bit of walk to the bar and no one comes around to serve drinks
-nothing to do if it rains and as we were on a day pass we definitely lost out on our money

Suggestions for resort:
-add a pool table and ping pong table for rainy days
-add another bar by Eden/Honeymoon cove or have someone to drinks service on a golf buggy
-replenish buffet items and make sure food is hot and tasty
-reinvest in the property it is clearly worn around the edges which is a shame

I don't think we would return again unless the food was better and there was another bar or someone doing bar service. There are no activities besides watersports (weather dependent) and as such for all these reasons the value is not there for a day pass. However, location and setting is definitely hard to beat.

5  Thank Nattie03
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My grandparents have been taking our entire family here to Hawksbill for many, many years and there is a reason for that. It's just the best. This year, my husband and I rented a car and explored the island. We found nothing even close to comparable with Hawksbill. The low key, 'everyone knows your name' atmosphere, the very private and spacious rooms, the incredible beaches and views, the endless supply of fresh food, the flowing drinks (coconut crushes were a huge hit with my daughter this year), the friendly and helpful staff...going to Hawksbill is truly like coming home...but better ;) I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank shanz280
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I just got back from a week at the Hawksbill. I compare it to a luxury camping trip. We booked a Beach Club upgraded room with air-conditioning. It poured down rain at 3am and the rain came through our poorly patched roof on our pillows like a faucet (glad we paid extra for that room Ha). Luckily we have a good sense of humor and we moved the bed out of the way and went back to sleep. The air conditioner leaked and froze up and we also had to close our bathroom door in order for it to be cool in our room and since there are no proper windows, just screens with solid wood slats that partially close, you don't get any view because you needs everything closed to cool the room.
Bring an umbrella during rainy season as it was a 10 minute hike from our room to the dining facilities and it rained a couple evenings.

Make sure you bring your own beach towel as they are hard to come by. Our friends waited 3 days to get one and once you do, it is almost impossible to get a fresh one, although a large group of local school children had no problem getting towels when they came for the day.

The negative being said, we really did have a good time and may go back again. The water sports guys were really nice (especially Sean), the staff were friendly (although they tend to cater to the repeat customers) and the resort is very clean. Make sure you bring bug spray for the evenings since dining is outside. There are 4 beaches, but only one is really good for swimming and snorkeling since the others have a lot of rock and rougher waves.

The food was ok during the first few days and improved greatly during the last 2 days. There are no radios, tv's or phones in most of the rooms and it is very quiet. We had evening local bands 3 of the nights of our stay. The resort is not very close to town. They offer a shuttle for $8 per person return from 9am to 12 each day, or it costs $15 each way per cab. It cost us $20 one-way for a taxi from the airport which is cheaper than booking a shuttle on-line through Viator or book-it. Taxis are always available at the resort, no need to phone for one.

In summary, if you want good value and a quiet resort, good swimming, snorkeling and kayaking, with pretty good food, then I would recommend Hawksbill. If you want 5-star service, party atmosphere, entertainment and luxury, take a pass. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Stay away from room 132 and 133 If you don't like a long walk or have mobility issues, contact t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank bizzqueen
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The grounds and four beaches are so beautiful, and the staff is great! It made up for the room. The first room, standard room, literally made me cry. I always book a 'standard' room because we don't spend much time in it but the condition was terrible. I would not even sit on the bed. We got an upgrade for a price but the rooms could really use some work. The mattress seemed to be from the 1960's and the bed was very small. We learned fast to hang the towels because getting new ones was next to impossible. The first day we had hand towels but that ended by day 2 and we were left with 2 towels and no bath mat either. Also, we were stuck with the same dirty beach towels for half the week because there was never any clean ones available. Getting water is also very difficult. The water jug was always empty which was probably a good thing because I don't think it has ever been wiped down! Upper management really needs to spend some time at Hawksbill in a standard room. Many of the people was met also requested upgrades and one couple even demanded a new mattress! So sad because the location is breathtaking, food was great and the staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Bring Clorox wipes, I used them all in the room!
3  Thank LaurisaD
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I came here with my immediate family and my 30 extended family members in November to spend Thanksgiving. We all had an amazing time! It has been my 7th visit and this place has become our 2nd home. The staff is friendly, warm and helpful. The resort itself is rustic and simple; the beaches are so beautiful, and not overcrowded. The food is ok. My kids never complain about the food which is a plus since they are picky eaters. The guests are friendly; I met some lovely people from Europe and US. If you’re looking to get away from the rat race and a simple place for relaxation then this place is for you. Looking forward to coming back again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank katgp
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was our 7th visit and found the layback and chill charm has not changed, loads of beach room, (you have a choice of 4 beaches), or just relax in the shade on the lovely lawns under the palm trees, even though the hotel was full there is so much space to enjoy on your own if you wish. the rustic charm is brilliant, you can really feel away from it all especially as the rooms and bungalows do not have TVs, The food was very good and varied, the lunchtime barbeque always has fresh caught fish, the staff are lovely and make you feel at home, they are so nice, we have tried most types of rooms and like the bungalows on the first beach the best, 10 paces from the beach and very quiet, just the sound of the sea on the shore, If you are looking for all mod cons, plunge pools, noisy bars, loads of sun beds lined up on concrete then forget it, this place is about a Caribbean way to relax, have a drink at the beach bar and watch the sun go down giving a brilliant sunset across the Caribbean sea. And yes we will be back.

Room Tip: Garden bungalows are very warm without air con, superior rooms first floor have a lovely breeze thro...
3  Thank MICHAEL T
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips
Siboney Beach Club
Siboney Beach Club
#5 of 16 in St. John's

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!