“Flying Visit”

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My husband and i visited this resort as a trip off our cruise ship for the day we thought it was a good way to spend the our last of our cruise in the Caribbean.It was not a cheap day we paid £84 each for the transfer from the boat 4.1/2 hrs at the resort a buffet lunch use of all the amenities plus unlimited drinks.Beautiful beach and surroundings very peaceful everything you imagine.Having said this i do not think it was worth what P&O charge for this trip

Room Tip: Cannot say as it was purely a day visit but from what i saw i would be interested in staying there
1  Thank Jackie P
There are newer reviews for Hawksbill by Rex Resorts

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I cannot understand why this hotel has such good reviews. My husband and I have holidayed in the caribbean for the past 15 years and have just returned from the Hawksbill and can honestly say it is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. The rooms need to be totally refurbished. The fan, when it worked, was noisy. The fridge, which we didn't have to start with, was rusty - likewise the coffee maker. Our biggest complaint was the food - which was of extremely poor quality. On the menu every day was frozen grey mullet which was full of bones and on the second occasion that I tried to eat it, was raw inside. The lamb curry was lamb bone curry also the chicken curry was the same - full of bones. The cheapest meat and fish was used in most dishes - the only meat that was edible was when there was a roast.
On the plus side, the main beach is lovely and most of the staff were friendly. I believe that the only reason guests are willing to overlook the poor quality of the rooms and food is the fact that they enjoy using the 'clothing optional' beach or they have never been to another hotel in the caribbean.

3  Thank Ev52
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

The Hawksbill by rex team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience.

Your concerns pertaining to the rooms and its amenities are noted.

In regards to the food, Chef Sean and team strive to please all palates but ones choice of food will always be subjective.

We appreciate your kind comments towards our service staff and will definitely share with them.

Hawksbill by rex resorts, even though a mature hotel (1960) is quite unique in its location featuring four white sand beaches. Many of our guests return yearly for its warm Caribbean charm, simplicity, tranquil environment and friendly & efficient service staff.

It's rather unfortunate that we were unable to meet your expectations, however, do hope you may reconsider a return visit in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

My Husband & I stayed here 10th-18th January, we were celebrating 25 years of being together and had left our children with close friends, so were really looking forward to our treasured time alone. The welcome from reception was lovely & friendly, we stayed in room 108, a bungalow on the beach front. The room was quite rustic looking, it was quite dark but very clean. The beach in front of our room was deserted & so peaceful, the only downside is that it was a long walk to the bar for refreshments, but there was a fridge in the room so we had a trip to the shops to buy some water, coke & beer.
We later sunbathed on the main beach (which was still not over crowded) as we enjoyed going on the Kayaks. On Sunday an invitation was left on our door, inviting us to the Managers Cocktail Party, it was a lovely touch as it wasn't just a general invite, each invite had your name written on. Unfortunately we had a problem with our room & had to be moved to another half an hour before we should've been enjoying cocktails. The Manager John was absolutely brilliant, he personally helped us move all our belongings to another room, making sure we were settled whilst the Head Chief Sean greeted the other guests at his Cocktail Party.
We were later moved to a room in the Great House.....Wow, absolutely beautiful with stunning views! The next evening John also arranged for Sean to cook us & our friends a special meal, to apologise for any upset caused by the move & for our 25th anniversary. Sean personally came to greet us & show us to our table, he then cooked us a spectacular 3 course meal, even bringing the main meal out to us himself. Each time we saw Sean after that he would always acknowledge us & was always smiling.
The Bar staff were lovely & very efficient, it wasn't very often we were left with an empty glass, a bus took all the staff home at 11pm so the bar was closed quite early. We were always the last up, talking to our friends (who we met at the hotel) & the staff would happily leave a few drinks for us to enjoy. The staff are lovely but our favourite was David, bar staff, he was very attentive, just as you would think to ask for a drink he would magically appear with one, always remembering your preferred beverage, we felt like an extended family member within a couple of days. The majority of guests are slightly older & very friendly, we have never been anywhere before where everyone talks to each other, by the end of the week I think we knew 80% of the other guests names.
Hawksbill has a fabulous location, the views are absolutely stunning & each morning we woke it really was like "another day in paradise", we were really sorry to leave & can quite honestly say it was one of our best holidays yet. We usually holiday in Barbados but couldn't get the flights we wanted so booked Antigua instead. We would definitely visit Hawksbill again although we would like to stay in one of the rooms of the Great House & I'm not sure if those are rented out individually, its something we will have to enquire about.
I would like to thank the Manager John, Sean, David & the rest of the staff for helping us to enjoy a wonderful, memorable holiday.... Until the next time ;-)
Mel & Jus

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mel_and_Jus
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience.

We appreciate your kind comments in regards to the welcome at the reception desk; our friendly and efficient bartenders; especially David, your special meal prepared by Chef Sean and John for ensuring that your stay was comfortable.

The Great House, even though usually sold as a family unit, can indeed have the three rooms sold separately. The view is fabulous and does capture quite a bit of interest.

It was definitely a pleasure having you vacation at Hawksbill and we truly look forward to once more making your vacation experience most memorable.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Hi!

Just read a few reviews here... It is the same I read before going... We had excellent vacations there. I think people just don't expect to go in the middle of an earth paradise with birds, fresh air and, yes, a few bugs...

1-THE FOOD was the best I ever ate in an all included formula and by far. Yes, lunches are almost always the same: grilled fish and poultry, hamburgers, fresh salad. And it was good and fresh, well prepared. I don't expect more for lunch. Dinner was always famous. At that time it was 4 night buffet and 3 nights à la carte. This is a small resort. There was only one restaurant opened and it was perfect. Variety was incredible, fresh veggies, good meat. The scenic view from the restaurant was breathtaking. It is open air. We are from Quebec Canada. To eat outside was a real pleasure. YES, there are birds... You are on a resort just beside a tropical forest. You can expect some birds. They were, for me, one of the highlights of the place. They made me laugh so much. The coffee is not very good tough (maybe this could be improved without much effort). BEST WINE I ever had in an all inclusive, by far again. And they are filling your glass without having to ask!!!

**Every member of the staff was helpful and very kind. You have to be kind with them in return though. Maybe people are used to go to the islands finding hungry staff members that will do anything to get some bucks. This is not the case there. Many university students. Treat them kindly and you will receive the same in return. This is also partly the reason why going in Antigua and Barbuda is not a cheap vacation. People there have a better quality of life than, saying, in Dominican Republic... But I swear those people were very helpful!

2-THE ROOMS are just perfect. We had a garden bungalow. It is private and yes, it is open air (and a pleasure, exactly like the restaurant). You are in the middle of paradise, you get time outside. You take your shower with the touch of the tropical air. The room was clean, the bed was fine.

3- BUGS: oops, paradise doesn't exist at the end... We had very little, but yes, in Antigua and Barbuda, you HAVE to expect that. They call it sand flies (in Florida they call it ''no see 'ems). It is tiny tiny. Only a trained eye as mine can see them. The rash can be very itchy and will itch for a long time. Worst, you will not notice that you are being bitten. The rash appears only 24-48 hours later and you will not notice before that. DON'T WORRY: These bugs are very picky. Most people don't get bite because apparently, their blood does not please those little monsters. I got bites. But now I know sand flies. If you put sunscreen, they will not bite. If you put lime juice on your skin, they will not bite (don't forget a square centimeter...). Picky little monsters I said...

4- THE GROUNDS: How much delicious time we had just walking on those wonderful grounds, seeing bananas and mangoes and lime growing, beautiful animals and birds everywhere. If you love wilderness, you will be served.

5- THE BEACHES: They are clean, quiet and perfect. The Eden one is in the forest!!! (be careful about the ants if you go take a walk in the bushes...)

6-THE NIGHTLIFE: There is a weird thing with people complaining about the entertainment and nightlife. This is a small hotel. There's no big shows at night. Music. Fun if you like to dance with elders (there are lots there). It is a quiet place. Don't expect to get something big. We had fun dancing one night. So much fun! We were in bed early, woke up early and spent a wonderful time.

Since the day I left, I am dreaming to come back. Since it is not a cheap vacation, we hope that life will give us the chance to go there once more. The manager, John, is still there as I see. He is Jamaican and very kind.

Hope this review will be helpful,

Have a wonderful time, you are lucky people!

Room Tip: We had a garden bungalow, very private, very comfortable. Every room is just a few steps from the be...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank emilie2816
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

The Hawksbill by rex resorts team truly appreciates you sharing your vacation experience. The summary and description of our food, service staff, rooms, grounds and beaches were done superbly and will definitely encourage others to come and experience.
We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and will definitely look forward to your return visit in the future, whereby once again we can make your experience at Hawksbill most memorable.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We are amazed at some of the negative views about this hotel - yes the rooms could with a bit of TLC but who wants to stay in the room. The location is 10 star the food is very good much better than we have had in some 5* resorts. The staff are great, polite, helpful, and always willing to help on the downside we have seen behaviour from some guests that would suggest they left their manners at home if they ever HD any!. We love this place but suggest if you want 5* wall to wall sunbeds go to Sandals,. This place is so wonderful - we are still here and don't want to go home. Thanks to all the staff at Hawksbill for making our stay so delightful.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank maggiemay1946
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

The Hawksbill by rex resort team would like to thank you for sharing vacation experience.

We are delighted that you have found our team to be quite efficient and polite in executing their duties. They are truly committed to the task and will appreciate your kind comments.

In regards to the food, Chef Sean and team strive to please all palates and they will be pleased to hear such positive comments.

Once again, thank you for sharing your positive comments and we certainly look forward to making your vacation experience once again memorable.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

The beach was lovely. That is about it.

This is an old resort that does not look like it has been maintained properly although it is a great piece of land. We did not stay in a room so I can not comment on that aspect of the resort.

The restrooms outside near pool and beach had no hot/lukewarm water - at first. Then the restrooms did not work at all. This lends some credence to the fact that when we asked for a glass of water the bartender said the plumbing does not work but he did offer to sell me a bottle of water for $3. No thanks, I took a beer. Asked for water at lunch as we saw the bartender fill a glass from the faucet for another guest. We were told the plumbing still was not working. Hmmm.

We went to the beach shack for a towel and as it was early none were clean yet, understandable. When they did arrive, the beach attendant YELLED over, Hey.... towels. That was special.

Restaurant was picturesque, that is all it had going for it. Pretty surly wait staff. Given a choice of ordering off the menu or choosing for the buffet. I did peruse the buffet but the three items available did not interest me. So we ordered from the menu......a cheeseburger as I saw them cooking them on the open grill - I was told I could go get it myself at the buffet. There were birds flying about as other reviewers have noted. They do not bother you and just flit about.

We only went to the very first beach. Broken furniture on the beach - about 4 umbrellas (or more like palapas you would find in Mexico), no beach umbrellas available. There were towels sitting on the chairs under the palapas but no one was on them most of the morning......strange. Tried to change my lounger with one of the 6 in the immediate area, NONE were not broken. Pool is deep, no shallow end at all and it is deep upon entry, no gradual depth - just deep.

Went to Hawksbill on a ship excursion - described as: Luxury resort where you will be pampered, all inclusive, food, drinks of all varieties and non motorized sports. In full disclosure this was not the resort that was actually named in the brochure for this excursion so I did get out of the taxi with a not too great attitude!! I did get my money back from the ship.

This is not a resort where I would ever stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
3  Thank Kneadsdough
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

The Hawksbill team would like to thank you for sharing your views based on your 'Day Pass' visit to our Resort.

One of the highlights, as you stated, were the beaches (four in total) including Eden Beach the only clothing optional beach in Antigua.

In regards to the restrooms by the pool, we will have our maintenance team look into this, however thank you for informing us.

Even though water from the faucet is treated and safe to drink, water served is from a dispensing machine which has a series of water filters connected it. In addition, we also provide a self serving water cooler located across from the beach bar.

We take note your your comment in regards to the wait staff, the beach attendant and the pool.

Small thatched huts are the source of shade we provide on the beaches which are seldom used for most guests on the beach sunbath.

Your observation of many towels left on the sun lounges is common practice by guests reserving their sun lounges.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience at Hawksbill by rex resorts.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Me and my girlfriend visited this resort based on the ratings on this site, what a mistake that was.
We arrived on the monday evening and the resort looked tired and basic and so did our room but this was after the porter dragged my girlfriends expensive case down every step he could find until i took the case off him.

That evening was the "managers cocktail party" we got dressed for the occasion only to find that it was pretty much just an ordinary night. the entertainment was garbage and the food even worse (which continued to be bad all holiday)

every lunch the food was pretty much the same, we went to the Caribbean expecting good seafood (which we found by eating out ) and all we got was butterfish and snapper all day rotting between meals. no fresh local fruit and very limited and poor choice. I get better food on the army base I work at.

There is supposed to be 2 restaurants however only 1 is open at any one time, meaning if you do not like their wares you have to go out at the cost of $80 round trip.

The staff other than the maids (who were good) were miserable and offered no advice on anything at all and there was never any beach towels at the exchange meaning we would have to wait all the time. we were not even allowed a pedal because the sea wasn't totally flat.

The worst thing was this wasn't a cheap holiday and coupling that with eating out most days and nights cost almost twice as much as this place is not near any nice restaurants.

The beaches were ok however the only place my girlfriend could sun bathe top less was the nude beach which is very rocky

The worst was to come, me and my girlfriend broke out in a rash / bites only to discover on our return that we had picked up some form of tick / bug which now are having treatment for. a hotel that just keeps on giving.

6  Thank j0hnny_ace
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

We take note of your comment pertaining to the porter and the handling of the suitcase.

The Managers Cocktail party is held each Monday, whereby guests can mingle with other guests, purchase local souvenirs from the vendors present and be introduced to the General Manager & his Assistant.

In regards to entertainment, throughout the week we provide a pianist, soca live band, latino band, Halcyon steelband music, crab racing etc. which seems to be very much enjoyed and appreciated by most of our guests. However, we do welcome any suggestions or ideas to further enhance our entertainment.

Chef Sean and team usually do a great job pleasing most palates and caters to special dietary needs. He is also very keen in trying new suggested menu options.

Thank you for your kind comments pertaining to the room attendants. They are quite efficient and thorough with their duties. Your concern about the other team members are noted.

The Beach towel exchange is noted.

Safety is always paramount especially when engaging in any form of water sports. If sea conditions (very unpredictable) are not suitable, we do not recommend boats to be taken out. The pedal boats may capsize in choppy sea conditions.

Due to our unique location, Hawksbill features four white sandy beaches for guests to enjoy. Eden Beach, our clothing optional beach and the largest, is designated for topless or nude sunbathers and is enjoyed by many.

Mosquitoes and sand flies are very common in the Caribbean and tend to be more present after brief showers. One method of controlling such is 'fogging' with an FDA approved repellent
several times a week. Nevertheless, we take note of your concern and do apologise for the discomfort experienced.

Its rather unfortunate that we were unable to provide you with a memorable vacation experience, however, we do hope you may reconsider a return visit in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
#4 of 16 in St. John's
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!