“beautiful ,love it, love it, love it,”

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
London, United Kingdom
“beautiful ,love it, love it, love it,”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

me and my other half love this place,after being to many different islands and resorts hawksbill is the one we always want to return too.The place is ideal if you want peace and quiet and to be left alone.The beaches are fantastic.Yes the place is tired comparded to a lot of modern hotels but we think this adds to the charm.The staff are great and how they recognise returning quests is remarkable.We are returning in October 2014 and cant wait.

Room Tip: we stay in the garden rooms which are ideal
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shar h
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your review on trip advisor.

We are delighted to hear that your vacation experience was most memorable. Our Resort definitely offers a unique atmosphere featuring four beaches to choose from, cozy bungalow type accommodations along the shoreline and a good selection of bar cocktails and a combination of buffet and a la carte menus to enjoy.

Our service team is dedicated, friendly and efficient. They know the customers well and cater to all needs.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to your return visit in October 2014.

Hawksbill by rex resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hawksbill in 2009, we found the staff very courteous and helpful. We have been very fortunate to visit several islands in the Caribbean and we have booked to return next year 2015.
Both Val and I are so looking forward to our Repeat visit and seeing who we recognise and vice versa.
The hotel as superb beaches, friendly/homely feel.
I know you should not wish your life away but April 2015 please hurry along!!!!!!!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PerryVal
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
The Hawksbill by rex resorts team was delighted to have you vacation with us in the past (2009)and definitely look forward to making your return vacation with us most memorable.

You will certainly see a lot of familiar faces who will provide you with the warm friendly and efficient service; our great selection food and beverage; our cozy and clean bungalow type accommodations along the four beaches. Truly a Caribbean treat

Take care and we will see you in April 2015

surrey
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely to return and see our favourite staff in the most beautiful place that we love. Returning each year the decline seen was quite sad this time.The buildings and equipment are so old and tired and we felt that we were paying for 4 beaches and friendly staff and not much else. Food was better than last year but the evening meal set up really needs a re think, as that is your entertainment really. Often felt that we should leave as staff were clearing away before finishing and clearing the food away. BBQ food was cold and the chef incredibly rude, not Sean the usual chef, Sun loungers and bar chairs could do with cushions. We had a lovely time with friends and met up with at least 14 other returners. Please please do not let this place end up like The Blue Heron, abandoned and unloved. We love Hawksbill and want to return again. Thank you to all your staff and it was great to see you all this year.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank tigua
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 15 August 2014

We were quite delighted to have you back 'home away from home' and appreciate your usual constructive criticism. Hawksbill will always be unique due to location and the dedicated service team. Your recommendation for renovations can only enhance our Resort further and making it more marketable.

Sincere apologies for Chef Dales behaviour towards your food related concerns. This unfortunate incident is definitely not the true reflection of our team spirit and hope this will not tarnish your thoughts of a return visit in the future. Our repeat clientel keep our doors open and we truly appreciate their commitment towards Hawksbill over the years.

Once again thank you for the feedback and we look froward to making your return visit a memorable vacation experience

Houston
Reviewed 11 August 2014

To start, I like 4 star hotels, but have the bandwidth to sway either way so long as I'm prepared. Call me flexible… Read the reviews before you go and you will enjoy your stay overall.

Cons:
Limited meal hours- If you need to eat every 3 hours, you will find yourself hungry between lunch and dinner. This hotel only offers very basic cheese or ham sandwich bits during tea time between meals. Also, all drinks from the bar and at breakfast are served in the tiniest glasses cups. Unlike many all-inclusives, there were not grill offerings (e.g. chips, cookies, fries, hotdogs) between meals. We found ourselves ensuring that we got quite full so we could make it to the next meal time. If you are a snacker or eat many small meals, bring snacks so that you don’t find yourself walking around uptight due to hunger.

The birds- There are these small black bird that invade the dining area in the mornings. They are very aggressive at speeding past your heads, landing on tables and hopping around on the placemats and silverware just before snatching food right off any unattended plates. One even grabbed a bite of omelet from a plate on my table while I was sitting there. One day they were so aggressive and annoying that they were freaking out me and two young French girls at the next table. The swooping quickly past my head got the best of me and I couldn't really eat that day after seeing a bird take food right off the table twice. Another semi-annoying thing was that these birds would swoop into my room over and over throughout the day to grab packets of sugar from the coffee area (we opted to leave our doors open during the day time to enjoy the awesome view (from the honeymoon cove area room 140). One day we covered the sugar with a glass and the birds came in and walked all around the desk looking for the sugar, kind of funny to see them puzzled.

Insects- I started not to mention this because I feel that sugar ants is normal for Caribbean islands. Yes, they were everywhere in our room and they liked crawling all over the luggage and bathroom sink even though no food was there. BUT this is normal for the environment, so I can’t blame this on the hotel. With beautiful beaches and warm temperatures comes mosquitos and sugar ants. I just want to give a heads up in case this just isn’t your cup of tea. There are also mosquitoes EVERYWHERE in the bathrooms and rooms. Again, this is just a part of being on a warm island. Thanks to the reviews, we loaded up on repellant. I was still bitten quite a bit between applications, but my hubby lucked out. It was only when we were checking the room as we were about to leave that we realized there was a plug-in mosquito thingy for the room in one of the drawers. DARN! We wanted to leave the doors open at night, but were afraid of being bitten repeatedly. I wished for the citronella candles for the room the whole trip, so I hate that we missed the availability of this amenity.
Towels- The bath towels are very basic and you are only one of each item per person. No biggy.
Water supply- It is true that the island has been under extreme drought. They just started getting ran about a week prior to our trip. And, the we saw showers throughout the day daily while we were there. On the last day, there were frequent heavy rains, so I’m sure the locals are excited about that. We were lucky in that the shower was out of water only once when we needed it. I was going in for a shower after dinner and they water (except a little hot water left in the tank) was out. The good news is that I tried again 25 minutes later, and everything was flowing again. Also, the toilet stopped working on two occasions, I think it was water related. Housekeeping fixed it while we were out one day and the other time the issue resolved itself through the night.

Pros:
Quiet- This place is very quiet. If you are looking for a hoppin’ party hotel, this is most definitely not it. If you are looking for peace and quiet, this place is for you. Things are quiet and slow paced here for sure. It seemed that there was barely anyone on property most times.

Crowds- As others have mentioned, finding a beach chair and shade will not be an issue here. There are four beach areas to choose from (we did not venture to the clothing optional side). The beach near honeymoon cove was barely utilized while we were there. I think this is because those with rooms on the other side had not need to look for other beach spots.

Views- The beaches on properly were quite nice as well as uncrowded and the views were awesome. Our room was 140 on the honeymoon cove side. This area was on the far end so there is a longer walk to the main building, but you cannot beat the view and privacy. These rooms have air conditioning and the doors and verandas face the sea and honeymoon beach (which rarely has visitors). You can basically carry on as you wish essentially in private all while leaving the doors wide open. The sound of the ocean from these rooms is awesome. I would recommend room 139, 140, or 141.

Wifi- I could get a wifi signal most of the time around the dining areas. The coverage seems to end just before reaching the honeymoon cove area which is where the best rooms are located.
Summary:
If you care less about how the room looks and more about the beach and views, this resort will grow on you, especially if you get a room on the honeymoon cove side. Meals are served at limited times, so plan accordingly. For an awesome view right from your bed, go with a room on the honeymoon cove side (these have air conditioners too). The staff isn’t as friendly as what is typical overall. My hubby is Jamaican and pointed out the people aren’t very friendly on the island (I think some of it has to do with them being more about business when they are on the job). But, once they warm up to you (if you actually talk to them), you will find that they are more pleasant than you think... Elaine with dining was great... If you are hot natured, upgrade to a room with AC as your unit may not be positioned to catch a good sea breeze... I would return here for the view/location and quite time at the beach.

Room Tip: If hot natured, get a room with a/c for night time comfort. Prepare to get in a little walking, the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FlyGirl1996
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience on trip advisor.

Your concerns in regards to the meal periods, brids, insects and the water issues pertaining to the islandwide drought are duly noted.

We are pleased that you were satisfied with our peaceful and tranquil atmosphere. Our unique location featuring four beaches, our cozy honeymoon cove accommodation and the availability of free WIFI. These are just a few which make Hawksbill a true vacation treat.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we certainly look forward to a return visit in the near future whereby we can once again make your vacation experience a memorable one.

hawksbill by rex resorts
Chalfont St Peter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have visited Hawksbill in Antigua many times, which shows how much myself and my family love it. It therefore made sense for my Sister to get married there this summer. We took 20 family and friends with us and they made the holiday.
The hotel has a beautiful location with 4 perfect beaches to choose from. The food was delightful and so much of it, I cant mention a time where I was hungry. The only thing I wish they would do is extend breakfast times, we had to get up early most mornings just to make it. The rooms are fine with everything you could need but not all have air con so can get a bit warm at times but that's just Antigua.
Not as many activities put on as usual but there is still plenty to do on the resort and throughout the Island. The evening entertainment we got was brilliant with live bands and steel drums, its just a shame it finishes rather early and that there isn't something every night.
The wedding was exceptional and mainly organised by Claudette on reception. She arranged the hen and stag do with the brilliant taxi driver Goldman which was uniquely designed just for us! The ceremony was beautiful on the beach, very memorable!
We had a great time just wish it was longer, but all good things must come to an end. I'm sure we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Be aware of what your choosing as the hotel offers many different standards of rooms. The rooms in t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank FMB24
The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience with on trip advisor.

We are pleased that your wedding party thoroughly enjoyed the wedding ceremony organised by Ms. Claudette Thomas our wedding cooordinator. Our unique location combined with our friendly and efficient service team really highlights ones vacation experience making it most memorable.

It was indeed a pleasure catering to your every need and we truly look forward to doing so once again in the near future. Thank you for your positive feedback.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We've just returned from 10 days holiday, our first time to Antigua. After reading the trip advisor reviews and seeing the photos, the resort was as we expected, and more. We stayed in the garden bungalow for 2 nights, it was too hot so we paid extra for the beach bungalow with A/C which was perfect. The rooms I would describe as 3 star with 5 star views.
The hotel is set in lovely gardens and has a charm that is rarely found. It has been commented that it does need updating, true, but it is good value and offers something uniquely special.
The 4 beaches are gorgeous, each slightly different and mostly empty. The water activities are available whenever you like which was great for us as we love snorkelling and kayaking. We saw so many beautiful fish, sting ray and even a turtle. Sean and Ralph were great and Sean really made our holiday more special.
The food has plenty of choices each day and is delicious. The bar had a good variation of drinks and water was always available from the bar or water cooler free of charge. Water from the tap was fine to drink too.
The staff as a whole are warm and engaging. The reception staff were the best we have ever met anywhere. They were efficient, helpful and just so lovely. The maid service was impeccable, returning later in the day if you were using your room and consistently leaving your room spotless. The restaurant staff service was fairly inconsistent but you need to just go with it really and accept there’s no real hurry and that some staff are just not into eye contact. The Manager was very approachable, professional and clearly cares about the hotel and all who work and stay there.
Our only issue, and it is a minor one, is that the sun loungers by the beach restaurant do need a daily clean to remove bird droppings. They presently make the beach towels mucky, keeping in mind we were keen to re-use our towels to save water, as requested.
We would certainly consider returning to this resort as it has something that other hotels do not have. We have enjoyed holidays around the world with various star ratings, particularly in the Caribbean, and this is definitely one of our favourites. Thank you to the staff at Hawksbill.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows with A/C on first beach have lovely sea view and are cooler.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank BUBBELLEY
The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience on tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you were pleased with our food selection; the services of our water sports; variety of cocktails our bar offered; the impeccable service by our room attendants and our very friendly and efficientreception staff. Our overall service team are dedicated to the task at hand and a true asset.

Your concerns in regards to some of our food and beverage servers and the cleanliness of our sun lounges are carefully noted and will be addressed accordingly.

It was a pleasure having you vacation with us and we definitely look forward to a return visit in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First visit to Antigua, staying at the little gem that is Hawksbill. The location, as other reviewers have said, is wonderful. Four beaches, two practically deserted during the time of our holiday (June/July). The staff were friendly and welcoming. Yes, the place is tired and worn, but it sort of adds to the charm. The food was plentiful and tasty, but don't expect fine dining. I would recommend you book a room with air conditioning as the nights were HOT. We stayed in room 314 (beach front club cottage rooms) which had a good view over Sea Grapes beach; and the terrace had welcome shade in the afternoons. John, the manager, is often around and is friendly and chatty, taking an interest in comments and dealing with concerns quickly. Our stay at Hawksbill was one of the most relaxing of our holidays - beautiful beaches, helpful staff and friendly people. I hope that if/when Rex resorts invests more money in the place they do not lose its' charm or character. We would love to return!

Room Tip: Air conditioning a must!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Carol H
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation review on trip advisor.

We are delighted that you were pleased with our deliverance of friendly and efficient service, tasty food and our unique location featuring four beaches with bungalow type accommodations outlining the seashore.

Hawksbill is a mature hotel (built in 1960) but offers a true tropical paradise and a tranquil atmosphere making the Resort an ideal location for total relaxation of body, mind and soul.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,253 reviews

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!